CBR1100XX.org Forum

Akra full system PCIII maps, 02 XX

Mithrandir

Thanks Mith. I'm interested to read your write-up. The distrib. said it comes with detailed instructions. Also, any special tools? It looks like I will need a special wrench to install headers. Thanks for the pictures.

LE

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I did. The dyno computer had a lot of problems though. It took two hours before I could even get the first base run.

Recently DJ upgraded their software meaning that MVR also had to upgrade their computer. The old one just wasn't able to run the new abilities. When I turned up in the morning, the machine had hung. No blue-screen, just completely frozen. So it got a kick in the guts via the power cord. Things went downhill from there. Firstly the mouse couldn't be detected. Each time it rebooted and came up as the DJ operator account an error would be generated about not having sufficient priviledges to install the mouse hardware. ( :?: :shock: ). SO after screwing around for about 3/4 of an hour (he didn't know the administrator password either....) I find a USB mouse and it works, but the cable is really short, making operating the system quite hard.

More screwing around - some of the commands had changed in the lastest version of the software, so he had to ring up to find out where everything had moved to. After about every second run the sensor stack would just disappear from the com port, or the PC would mysteriously not be found any more. Each time it required powercycling the sensor stack. Then it wouldn't pick up the ignition properly (ie RPM). So, as you could imagine, it was a bit of a shitty day yesterday. I have a map, but that's it. It's stuck in the PCIII right now, but I have a laptop so I could download it if needed. I'm not feeling comfortable handing it out because of all the problems, I'm not entirely sure it's reliable.

Another thing that I really noticed was the change in fuel consumption. I went from getting 150-160mi before the reserve light starts to flash to getting 180-200mi, for exactly the same riding conditions. For that along, the new zorst is worth it.

[edit to add fuel mileage info]

Just looking over that, it certainly looks like dyno measuring differences. Bum dyno says stock to akra before tuning was a huge difference in power, not the almost identical numbers for the at-face-value comparison of the numbers here. As a indicator, I didn't notice the extra 3HP from the tuning session at all (but I noticed the smoother throttle response), so figures can't be compared one to one. I never dynoed my stock 02, so can't give an accurate comparison between the measurements unfortunately, but I bet in my configuration it would read a lot higher than 147 on DK's dyno.

Just looking over that, it certainly looks like dyno measuring differences. Bum dyno says stock to akra before tuning was a huge difference in power, not the almost identical numbers for the at-face-value comparison of the numbers here. As a indicator, I didn't notice the extra 3HP from the tuning session at all (but I noticed the smoother throttle response), so figures can't be compared one to one. I never dynoed my stock 02, so can't give an accurate comparison between the measurements unfortunately, but I bet in my configuration it would read a lot higher than 147 on DK's dyno.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but I guess I dont really understand what came out of thios little fiasco, you said that the dyno-runs were all screwed up(via soft-ware)--but somehow a map popped out of it---was this a performance map or a fuel economy map????Who is doing the mapping/tuning???What does the A/F mixture, torque, HP look like on the dyno run?? Who was the tuner? Someone we might recognize or some or some lackey??? How hot did the bike get on the dyno???etc??? it is unfortunate that you had to waste a whole day.

Maybe the guy was just "Braindead" :oops:

Dynos have variations between them. It is usually not accurate to compare exact results between them. For example, try to compare results between a Dynojet and FactoryPro dyno and see what happens. Even within a manufacturer each dyno will read differently. For example, was the dyno operating on a hot or cold day (effects air density) or humid v dry day. There are other factors that come into play as well. Most modern sports bikes are built to make use of ram-air effects to increase the available horsepower at speed. That effect is usually a 5-8% increase in horsepower. Some dynos have fans that can do this, so the question was - does your results include the use of fans to generate ram-air effects or not? I am stating that I did not have those fans.

The fact that a full system race exhaust generates numbers almost identical (fractions of one horsepower) to the stock exhaust sounds a bit fishy does it not?

As for the operator - it was Mike Velasco. Another of the AMA-level engine tuners, at with racing results at least as good as Dan Kyle.

The map that I got was a fuel economy map. But, I don't really trust it right now to be the most efficient setup considering that there were really large holes in the RPM traces for the ignition curves. So while it could sample and talk to the PCIII and adjust the map, I don't think it was getting all the information it was supposed to in order to get the map accurate. In a couple of cases, there were 1000rpm holes in the ignition sensing, which wouldn't help it sniff the outputs correctly.

The a/f ratio was tuned at 13.5 (for fuel efficiency). We tried to do a run with it set to 12.8 for power, but things were going rapidly downhill by then so we gave up and he's invited me back to fix everything up for free once he's got the hardware sorted out. I'd like to be able to show you a torque/HP graph, but that was another of the problems - the computer lost the printer so I don't even have a paper copy of the graphs. :cry:

As far as being braindead, MV is certainly not that. He's very far from being the sharpest tack in the box when it comes to computer usage, but on engine stuff alone he's one of the best. I spent quite a bit of time trying to resurrect his computer for him, and I know what I'm doing with them. He definitely has some sort of hardware issue with the new machine. While the dyno is old, the computer setup and software on it is relatively new. Looking at the files for the stuff on there and the physical condition of the sniffers and ancillary equipment, I would say it was less than a week old.

He was building up 3 Very Special Ducati engines while I was there with trying to get them ready for Road Atlanta, so I guess I won't be able to continue working this out until after then. But, at least it cleaned up the dreadfully lean state of the current mapping. On the base run, the a/f was getting as high as 19!