CBR1100XX.org Forum

Drilled my stock cans - with video!

TX1100F

So I read Sykotek-xx's post about taking the drill to the OEM cans. Intriguing... :icon_think:

First, I bought a pair of nearly new cans on eBay in case something went horribly wrong.

Second, I PM'd sykotek-xx for his thoughts on the whole thing a few months after he did the deed.

Third, well, i started drilling.

Hooray for poor white boy cans! or cheapskate cans. -whatever you want to call them.

So I read Sykotek-xx's post about taking the drill to the OEM cans. Intriguing... :icon_think:

First, I bought a pair of nearly new cans on eBay in case something went horribly wrong.

Second, I PM'd sykotek-xx for his thoughts on the whole thing a few months after he did the deed.

Hooray for poor white boy cans! or cheapskate cans. -whatever you want to call them.

just curious, buy drilling the cans,whats the benefits beside's stock cans get a little louder.Any performance benefits? do you run leaner or richer by this?

I tried this on mine and quite frankly was appauled at the result, it just sounds like an exhaust with a blowout. I then spent two hours with chemical metal trying to plug them again, not easy because of location, sorry but for me this was a big mistake, honda did a very good job of making a Bird sound quiet but deep and menacing - only appriciable when heard passing, you know it's big and powerful and quiet.

I tried this on mine and quite frankly was appauled at the result, it just sounds like an exhaust with a blowout. I then spent two hours with chemical metal trying to plug them again, not easy because of location, sorry but for me this was a big mistake, honda did a very good job of making a Bird sound quiet but deep and menacing - only appriciable when heard passing, you know it's big and powerful and quiet.

Don't drill the little holes! :icon_doh:

Go deep in the big hole and punch it through for a straight shot for the exhaust gas.

Sounds great and helps engine breathe.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...;hl=bafflectomy

Ben did that to his Goldwing Exhaust.

And it sounds FUCKING FANTASTIC.

It changed the sound of the Wing from a sewing machine into a Porsche. It's got a growl to it now, but not over powering at all.

But for my bird, I like it really loud (since loud pipes save lives :icon_whistle: )

I am almost ready to punch out the center too. My original intent was not necessarily to make more noise or HP but to lean it out a bit. I can smell unburned fuel and so can the gearheads I work with. I have a K&N (yes, I read that it LOWERS HP...) and was hoping that letting it breathe easier would get closer to an ideal A/F mix and allow more heat to get the hell out the back quicker.

As a side note: I also won a set of OEM pipes on eBay. I plan send them to Performance Coatings to get them ceramic coated. -and again the main idea is to push the heat out the back but if the increased velocity (volumetrically from the lack of exhast cooling in front) gives me a couple HP, it'll make up for the K&N. :icon_rolleyes:

I ride daily, rain or shine, 25F or 105F, and it's FREAKING HOT in the Texas summers and I want me and the 'Bird to be cool!

If anyone's interested, I'll post my results as I mess with it over the next few weeks...

I used an extension and a 1 1/4 hole saw (as big as would fit up the center hole). The sound was mild but louder and deeper.

I then drilled each of the small holes and I like the results alot. Louder but not too loud. Dark tan exhust (was almost black) means leaner.

My butt thinks it's faster. I get a nice raspy sound when I back off on the throttle. At full song - awsome but not offensive.

Don't drill the little holes! :icon_doh:

Go deep in the big hole and punch it through for a straight shot for the exhaust gas.

Sounds great and helps engine breathe.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...;hl=bafflectomy

Do you have any video of what they sound like Pete ?, The end result on that vid was "acceptable" but until he drilled the last 9/16" holes it sounded just like a muffler with a hole in it :icon_whistle:

I used an extension and a 1 1/4 hole saw (as big as would fit up the center hole). The sound was mild but louder and deeper.

I then drilled each of the small holes and I like the results alot. Louder but not too loud. Dark tan exhust (was almost black) means leaner.

My butt thinks it's faster. I get a nice raspy sound when I back off on the throttle. At full song - awsome but not offensive.

The centre hole is what I am thinking of doing after reading Pete's write up on drilling his cans :icon_surprised:

No video or audio from me. I DID like the video, especially the music. :icon_clap: Too funny.

If you start out I'd do the center first. even with the smallest hole it doesn't sound bad.

I am at 146 hp now, I think it did something. (in conjunction with an advancer and only slightly warmed up jetting)

Great Video !!!

I like the way the "action" was sped up while drilling. Ain't stainless a bitch!!!

I hope the sound was improved more so than the camera mic showed it to be. I realize that the camera mic has it's limitations and that the audio was compressed too.

If anyone's interested, I'll post my results as I mess with it over the next few weeks...

Of course we are!

Welcome to the club. :)

I think it sounds great, I have not gotten anywhere near tired of it yet. Not too loud, not too quiet. Sounds perfect to me and the price was right.

I do agree it sounded like crap with smaller holes drilled, like a muffler with a leak. Once the holes got into the 1/2" to 9/16" range the 'leaking muffler' sound went completely away. Just have to be brave enough to keep using larger bits until you get what you are looking for. I started off with the large (1.25") hole through the center pipe so I don't know what it would sound like with just the ends drilled. Either way I'm happy with the way it sounds now. Always liked the looks of the stock stainelss duals and I'm glad I get to keep them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well...

After working through a few tanks of gas, I seems that I got about a 2MPG increase wiht the 6 outer holes drilled.

So...

I stuck a 7/8" hole saw down it's throat and drilled. And then said fuggit and stuck a 1 1/8" hole saw in behind it.

The 7/8" hole was nice. Not much louder but deeper. Just nice.

The 1 1/8" hole sort of alarmed me when I first snapped the throttle! ME LIKEE!!! I opened it up today for a few seconds (3rd gear) and it was defintely roaring up top (9K RPM-ish) but still reasonable and sane and 4K-5K RPM.

I will update my silly video soon to add the sound comparison with the addition of the 1 1/8" hole through internal plates.

I'll see if my neighbor will follow my lard butt with a video camera and catch all that funky-fresh action from behind... :icon_silenced: