CBR1100XX.org Forum

Blackbird and Oklahoma heat?

Ronnie

Well took a quick ride into the city, stopped at two Red signals and the bird was HOT. Only in the upper 80's today the 100+ degrees would have killed it for sure. That was a main concern about the bird was heat. I need to ride in city at times. Hate to say but looks like I'll be in the marget for something else. That was one of the reasons for selling the V65 bike just couldn't handle stop and go traffic. :cry:

unless it's the humidity, the bike will be fine unless it has something wrong with it. My end of town during the day is consistantly in the summer 100+ and she does ok.

lots of tricks and suggestions have been made on the board for helping the sitch. my last coolant change to honda blue pre-mixed and 1 capful of waterwetter per quart of coolant never let's her beat 225 degrees!

p.s. i'm also running mobile1 15/50 in case it does anything to manager engine heat :shock:

I would have to agree that it's definately not the bikes fault. You must be doing something completely wrong or your bike needs some preventive maintenance fast, because of some serious neglect.

I ran mine through downtown Denver traffic last year for 4 hours and it was 98 degrees. The bike ran alittle warm which I expected but never had a problem.

So you are either pariniod or need some serious help. :poke: And if you don't believe me just ask Swampy how his bike runs in Arizona.

Befor eyou go freakin out ask around!

Tucson is well over 100 in the summer and I don't have any problems. The frame may get hot and the tank may get warm, but it won't overheat unless their is a problem. This is with the stock coolant in the bike. Chaning the coolant and adding watter wetter should help lower the temp if you are concerned.

Ronnie,

Define hot please. Is the temperature gauge in the red zone (or whatever is the digital equivalent on a newer bike)? I live in NE Oklahoma and never had an overheating problem. My temperature gauge does go toward the top of the "normal zone" when moving slowly on hot days.

My bike has an analog temp gauge so I can't compare numbers with you. From what I remember from other posts, the guys with digital gauges (Digi-boys?) are seeing similar numbers.

Can any of you other Digi-boys out there offer Ronnie any info?

250 is "overheating" for us digital guys. 225 is no problem- for the bike that is. You will get hot sitting on the thing, but the bike is fine at those temps and beyond.

Waterwetter will drop your temps 10-15 degrees in that range.

get concerned when it hits 240 and is still climbing. 225 is an everyday thing for me :grin:

... can't wear shorts and ride this bike though :shock:

Ive been riding my XX in Oklahoma heat for a a couple years now. I think you are just being paranoid...however there is a chance that somthing isnt working right with your bike.

For reference:

I have ridden in the mid 20F's and I have ridden when it was over 100F.

No matter what the temp...if you are in stop and go traffic the bird heats up. If its working properly it will get hot...the fan will kick on...and it will sit at fairly hot until you start moving some air thru the motor.

Its normal. If you heat up..and then start moving down the road...say on the highway...and it doesnt immediately cool down...you may have somthing wrong. If it does cool down...thats normal.

Big difference between hot and overheated.

It's gonna teach me to participate to a 'heat' thread:

Yesterday I picked the bird from the shop (32k service) and go into stop and traffic. It reached 246 F (fan does not kick in).

Back to the shop tomorrow... :cry:

Hugo

HugoF...... That should really teach you.... that you should NOT take it to that shop!

It's the best around - really. Plus, I really don't do stop and go traffic so the problem might have come up earlier.

It's not about never making mistakes, it's about being good at admitting/fixing them. And they've been good at that. If that's their fault, they'll admit it and act accordingly.

Hugo