CBR1100XX.org Forum

Steering damper fitted

R1000

Now the steering damper is fitted that I bought from a kind member on this forum. Normally one should not need a steering damper on the Bird, but the raised rear and much more engine power than stock can upset the chassie where a damper could help to cool things down. The unit is a Hyperpro linear damper, but cannot be bought from Hyperpro since the production of steering dampers for Blackbird is closed. I believe they might have had complains from some customers. There is a frame adapter included in the kit, which have very high tolerances since it will be located on fixed frame points. In case Honda have misaligned a frame stud which keeps the side fairing, by just a mm or two, the adapter will not fit. That was also the case when I tried to mount the frame adapter. Since I have the tools and a MIG welding machine, it was a very easy fix and I'm perfectly happy with the damper and the included parts :icon_biggrin: .

I think there could be clearance problem with stock handlebars; I have the VFR bars that provide plenty of clearance though.

post-3595-1177854299.jpg

Now the steering damper is fitted that I bought from a kind member on this forum. Normally one should not need a steering damper on the Bird, but the raised rear and much more engine power than stock can upset the chassie where a damper could help to cool things down. The unit is a Hyperpro linear damper, but cannot be bought from Hyperpro since the production of steering dampers for Blackbird is closed. I believe they might have had complains from some customers. There is a frame adapter included in the kit, which have very high tolerances since it will be located on fixed frame points. In case Honda have misaligned a frame stud which keeps the side fairing, by just a mm or two, the adapter will not fit. That was also the case when I tried to mount the frame adapter. Since I have the tools and a MIG welding machine, it was a very easy fix and I'm perfectly happy with the damper and the included parts :icon_biggrin: .

I think there could be clearance problem with stock handlebars; I have the VFR bars that provide plenty of clearance though.

That looks very much like the setup with my BB and HP steering damper, and yes with stock clip on's you will trap your left thumb between the grip and damper at full left lock :icon_surprised: Now that I have VFR bars it is ok :icon_wink:

Have you found the optimal setting for normal driving?

When I compare to my GSX R1000 with a stock steering damper, it seems to be the same as about ten clicks opened on the HP damper. In case one want to eliminate every possibility for a wobble like e.g. during wheelie attempts or real high-speed tests, I guess it should be adjusted to almost maximum damping. If the front lifts on a bump at 300 km/h, this thing has paid itself. I have had quite a few minor wobbels a corner exits and hope the damper will fix they dont develope to uncontrolled wobbels.

I have progressive unit on my R1,I like it alot.It basically does not slow steering like " normal" dumper but kicks in when needed.Stocker I considered useless,it never kicked in,bars would flip like crazy,maybe was broken,,,,,,,,,,,

You know,you would not need dumper on XX with stock handle bars thought,,,,,,

I have mine set ~5clicks from full hard as it can be a bitch to steer at parking speeds set any harder :icon_surprised: I do not think I would put one on if it wasn't there when I bought it :icon_think:

I have mine set ~5clicks from full hard as it can be a bitch to steer at parking speeds set any harder :icon_surprised: I do not think I would put one on if it wasn't there when I bought it :icon_think:

Tomek- Yes, a progressive should be better.

Para - Five clicks from the hardest position would be to stiff on my unit. The downside with a real hard setting could be that it hinders the bike built in capability to straighten out as necessary if the front becomes unstable. It is also important that the small return movement after counter-steer is working so the bike doesn't low side. A progressive would fix this as well.

Heh, heh....sure he does. Go ahead and try it.

As I've stated before, the active Hyperpro damper does not fit the XX.

At least he takes returns...minus the shipping. :icon_whistle:

There is also this site

http://www.exoticsportbike.com/cbr-1100xx_(97-99).htm

Heh, heh....sure he does. Go ahead and try it.

As I've stated before, the active Hyperpro damper does not fit the XX.

At least he takes returns...minus the shipping. :icon_whistle:

Do you know why it doesn't fit? Has the active unit a different body lenght, other diameter, or changed cross-section profile?

Okay..I've never seen one of the active units. My entire knowledge base was acquired from a lengthy conversation with the head of the department of the Hyperpro USA distributor. I had emailed a question, he had happened to see it and returned my call himself rather than one of the sales people, because he (at that time) was an XX rider. The answer to your question, R1000, is in bold letters, and for others who might want to know more about steering dampers, here is a synopsis of what the fellow at HyperPro explained, coupled with what I know and have experienced:

The Hyperpro steering damper mount was made for only the 97 and 98 model years. Its most common for steering dampers to mount to the frame at the front of the tank utilizing two bolts that typically secure the tank to the frame rail, just behind the steering head. The XX doesn't have that type of a tank mount, so an alternate mount was designed and built. Many motorcycles require this sort of engineering chicanery, and each is unique, raising costs of production, etc. The Hyperpro mount engages the frame at two points on the left side of the bike...the upper engine mount, and the mounting lug for the lower cowl which is located on the upper frame rail. To utilize the strength of the lug rather than the strength of the cowl bolt which is only 6mm, the Hyperpro mount incorporates a cap which fits over the frame lug. The cap has a hole in it through which the cowl bolt can pass to complete its job. The mount then extends upwards through a hole which the user must cut in the left dash panel. The body of the damper is retained there, and the rod of the damper extends forward and fastens to a clamp surrounding the left fork tube.

There's no way to fasten the damper closer to the steering stem other than to take a hammer and create a deep groove in the tank. Creating this groove consistantly is probably beyond the skill or desire of most XX owners, requiring at best a hammer, a rounded head striking anvil, and a certain cavalier approach to XX ownership. Because the damper is fastened to a point nearly three or so inches from the center of rotation of the fork, the throw necessary to allow the forks to travel from lock to lock is nearly 8 inches. For that reason, the reactive damper cannot be used with the Hyperpro XX mount, as its total length of travel is much less than that.

In 1999, the XX was made with a slightly larger cowl mount frame lug....perhaps in response to the lnumber of XX's that showed damage in that area from even relatively minor tipovers. To fit the Hyperpro mount required either reaming the mount, or cutting down the factory lug. That works until somewhere in the 2001 model year, when the frames were changed to use replaceable upper cowl mounting lugs. I've heard elsewhere that the Hyperpro mount can fit these as well with a bit of machine work, but I have no firsthand knowledge of fitting a Hyperpro mount to the latest model frame.

Of course, those with determination, drills, machining skills, and/or the money to pay the machinists will be able to fabricate an upper frame mount for the XX that will accomodate the HyperPro Reactive damper, the Ohlins, Scotts, or whatever they wish. This little story is simply to explain the Hyperpro XX mount, its limitations, why its no longer produced by Hyperpro, and perhaps make it better understood why no one else bothered to make a mount for the XX. My guy at Hyperpro (Dave, I believe was his name) was very helpful, but couldn't offer an explanation as to why all these vendors advertise mounts for the XX that don't exist. He also told me that HyperPro USA had at that time a good supply of mounts, but that he had no reason to believe they would ever be produced again.

I've never found the XX in stock form to need a steering damper. There are those who complain of headshake while topping rises at high rates of speed. I'm sure that even a stock XX ridden in some Isle of Man style will produce handling moments that might require a steering damper. However, XX's that have been modified DO show a propensity for mild headshake. Fitment of hard luggage racks such as the Givi top box or Wingrack system often results in headshake at moderate highway speeds that is so mild it doesn't occur unless the bars are completely released. Many riders do this to adjust clothing, helmets, or access wanted items such as cameras, sunglasses, or beads to hand to other travelors for their cooperation. Additionally, changes in chassis components or geometry, or significant increases in engine output can all lead to some headshake despite the relative steadiness of the stock and unmodified configuration of the motorcycle. And lastly, front tire wear on otherwise stock machines has been attributed to a mild headshake as well.

My XX isn't stock, and I appreciate being able to take both hands off the bars for brief moments, and to be able to get a bit more wear from my front tire when on extended road trips. I don't need a damper on the XX, but I really like mine.

Hope this has helped any with questions on the subject.

Great answer thanks :icon_biggrin:

I've now looked on the Hyperpro site and the active damper does only have a stroke of 75 mm while the Bird requires a minimum stroke of 120 mm, as you have pointed out.

I did a test run today on my reference section with the linear damper, and it feels real fine. The front end is definitely calmer at full power corner exits when it becomes light. And the bike transfer far less road irregularities to the handle bars, almost like a reworked front suspension. It is also keeps the line better in high-speed sweepers, so even if the damper is not required, it improves the handling of the bike.

I have never had any severe wobbles that calls for a damper on the Bird, but the changes mentioned above and the possible extra security when things goes wrong makes it a good investment to me. I drive the bike to its limits now and then, which one really shouldn't, but that calls for the best possible handling that the bike can provide. I hold a roadracing license and visit track days a few days a year, including the Nurburg Ring once a year. That gives the possibility to use the Bird to its limits at occasions when circumstances permit.

I have the "reactive" damper on my XX, but it is an early "'01" kit, and I had to modify the bracket to make it work. My XX was the "test mule" for the damper and mount here in the US. Up until I purchased my Hyper-Pro unit, everyone thought all the Hyper-Pro units would work on all the differnet year XX's. I was lucky enough to get an extra reactive damper and also a new gas charged non-reactive unit...H

Looks just like a regular 96-98 mounted unit from the saddle. Only diff is my frame bracket is cut and welded to fit and the bolt-on fairing lug is turned down so the frame bracket top mounting "sleeve" can fit over it. Also, my frame bracket sits just a tad higher and required a bigger hole in the l/h top cover.

I have the "reactive" damper on my XX, but it is an early "'01" kit, and I had to modify the bracket to make it work. My XX was the "test mule" for the damper and mount here in the US. Up until I purchased my Hyper-Pro unit, everyone thought all the Hyper-Pro units would work on all the differnet year XX's. I was lucky enough to get an extra reactive damper and also a new gas charged non-reactive unit...H

How do you feel the progressive damper is working on the bird, and how is it vs. the linear in case you have tested that also?

After having tested the linear positively today I'm not totally convinced a progressive would do any better on the Bird. A progressive should be better, but it must also meet the challenge to operate with a specific bike.

I keep either of the dampers on click "2" or "3", so that there is virtually no resistance to bar feel/movement. I only want the damper to control the sloppyness of a wobble. I have an SP-1 front end on my bike with special top and bottom clamps from Japan which shortened the wheelbase and gave me less trail, plus a special rear shock linkage that raised the back about 2 inches, so I can't really comment on a "stock" set up, but I can't tell a difference between the two.

Joe,

My reactive dampers are older 120mm stroke units, no longer available.

Hyper-Pro had all kinds of problems with the early reactive dampers. basically they leaked after just nominal use. I got the one I originally purchased re-sealed/rebuilt and have another new in the box. Also, as I previously said, I have the gas charged non reactive unit also. The older recative units I have have thicker shafts with longer bodies than the new units Hyper-Pro sells.