CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain virgin needs "breaking in"

severdog

I just need a little help and direction before I do my chain this winter.

Chain- I looked around and it looks like the best deal for DID 530ZVM chain is at kneedraggers.com. They provide 120 links, you cut down to what you need.

master link - these don't come with the chain, right? I'm not sure which of the 530 master links that I should purchase.

front sprocket - 17 teeth is stock, correct? Kneedraggers has these for $23. I cannot find the fiche entry at ronayers.com that has the front sprocket, and I'm guessing that it would be a lot more than this. Anyone have a better source for a stock front?

chain tools - what tool is necessary to cut the chain? Can I just drill out the rivets? What tool would you recommend for riveting the master?

I already have a rear sprocket from Da Chomper.

thanks in advance for the assist.

To cut it down you will need a link remover/pin press.

The master link is included. Some give you a clip master, which you should replace with a peened master.

17t is stock. I like the AFAM 16t. The stock front is more durable than the AFAM or other aftermarket. The stock rear is VERY durable, and will easily go 40k.

To cut it you can simply use a die grinder or dremel. Or the pin press. To attach it you will need a sideplate press and pin peening tool (mine is 2-in-one, some are not). You might be best off putting on a clip link to get it to a good shop. It's easy to fuck up this part of the work. It needs to be tight enough to properly peen the pins but not so tight that it squeezes the O-rings.

I just went through this myself last month.

I didn't do a whole lot of shopping around due to time constraints so I don't know if I got the best deal out there, but I ended up ordered the chain through MAW. It was $136.47 with shipping.

http://www.hipersports.com/did.htm#Chains

Scroll down to the ZVM X-ring chains and choose the # of links. (58352 is 110 links). These include the rivit type master.

I did the sprocket change myself, then ran the bike down to the dealer to have them remove the old chain and stake the new one. They charged me $25 to do it while I waited.