Godfather

Battery  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should I buy from

• A. The stealership
    • B. Somewhere like walmart, in that case I would need size info
    • C. Just keep the old one and hope my stator does not die
    • D. HOOKERS!

My bird has been sitting up in Connecticut for a few months now, and I have not ridden it since the

end of January. The battery is original, on my 2000 bird and I'm wondering if it should be replaced.

What brand do you use?

Thanks!

The battery size is 12-BS. I prefer the sealed batteries, you add the acid and seal it.

The OEM battery is a Yuasa YTX12-BS. Google (or eBay) that part number, you'll have plenty of choices. All of the cheaper than your dealer.

The battery size is 12-BS. I prefer the sealed dry cell batteries.

is that for the Carbies or the FI's?

okay just checked the 97' has the YTX12-BS AND THE 03 HAS A YTZ12-S

the 03 is about an inch shorter than the 97'

The Honda parts manual specifies a Yuasa YTX12-BS for 97-00 and Yuasa YTZ12S for 01-02. I have no idea what the differences are. But 12S designates the battery shape and arrangement of the terminals.

The Honda parts manual specifies a Yuasa YTX12-BS for 97-00 and Yuasa YTZ12S for 01-02. I have no idea what the differences are. But 12S designates the battery shape and arrangement of the terminals.

post-2671-1176995271.jpg

just shorter

I'm not sure Wally World even has the right sized battery.

Going to the dealer would be idiotic.... but then again, some people still get their tires mounted and balanced at the dealer. :icon_rolleyes:

I would get one off of eBay... better battery for less money. But what do I know?

post-2671-1176995271.jpg

Just shoehorn in the Optima in the background!

I have one in my pickup... best $180 spent on the truck!

Wally World probably won't have the right sized battery, buying it on eBay will be too complicated for you (with shipping, and flying up here), so the dealership will be the easiest thing, hence, what you'll end up doing.

Plus, I'm sure that the batteries at the dealer are MUCH better, since they're OEM, right?

Wally World probably won't have the right sized battery, buying it on eBay will be too complicated for you (with shipping, and flying up here), so the dealership will be the easiest thing, hence, what you'll end up doing.

Plus, I'm sure that the batteries at the dealer are MUCH better, since they're OEM, right?

OEM for plastics yes; but a battery I like to upgrade and get the best one I can interms of CCA and amps, some that I have found are 10 or 11 or 12 Amp/hour and 180-200+ CCA

The YTZ12S is slightly shorter and is also a "gell cell" battery and has ~20 more CCA, I bought a YTX12-BS about a month ago and it cost me ~$138AUD (list is $169 :icon_surprised: got a good deal as I had the battery on my F100 die at the same time and got one as well). The YTZ12S was ~$213 AUD :icon_eek: I bought my batteries from a place called BatteryWorld that specialize in batteries, cables etc ( there are a few places like this ). The stealers wanted ~$203AUD for a YTX12-BS type battery made by some company I had never heard of :icon_eek: :icon_think:

I think the internet is the best way to go price-wise. The YTX12-BS that I bought last year was only $83.00+shipping. I would definitely stay with a sealed type battery. I have two 99 Birds and the older one (i.e. lower VIN#), still has the factory battery. It's gettin kinda weak though. I'll probably need a new one before the end of the summer. The other bikes battery seemed kinda weak last year, so I replaced it. Think'n now I shoulda milked it a little longer. I wish I could get that much life out of a cheap car battery.

A yuasa Rep told me the ytx14-BS was the same physical size as the ytx12-bs. But it has more cranking amps.

He said that since they are sealed batteries, they are ready when they leave Japan, and age on the shelf. He suggested buying from a vendor that sold many batteries, so shelf time was minimum. Still on my origional 01 battery, my buddy with a different brand is on his second in his BMW, and it is a two year newer bike.

A yuasa Rep told me the ytx14-BS was the same physical size as the ytx12-bs. But it has more cranking amps.

He said that since they are sealed batteries, they are ready when they leave Japan, and age on the shelf.

Interesting as all the shops I talked to said that the YTX12-BS needed to be primed with acid and then they recommened they be put on charge for at least an hour to fully charge them :icon_surprised:

He said that since they are sealed batteries, they are ready when they leave Japan, and age on the shelf.

Interesting as all the shops I talked to said that the YTX12-BS needed to be primed with acid and then they recommened they be put on charge for at least an hour to fully charge them :icon_surprised:

my YTX12-BS came dry and I had to add the acid and then charge it,

there is a definite phycsical difference between the batteries, there are two blocks in the newer birds to compensate for the smaller size of the YTZ12-S. don't know what the YTX14-BS is.

my 2 1/2 cents