CBR1100XX.org Forum

speaking of chains

XX

Put on my DID 530 ZVM.

Motion Pro riveter worked great :!: :grin: Now I'm glad I bought it.

Had to remove 2 links for 110. used Dremel with cutoff wheel to grind head off, them pushed pin out with tool.

Factory RK chain 17 K miles. Completely gone, kinked, wasted.

Did ZVM chain 25 K miles. Still in decent shape. Just starting to squeak inside at the pins. Wanted to get a rivet link on especially after Red's trashed engine case.

Motion Pro riveter worked great :!: :grin: Now I'm glad I bought it.

Was it hard to set the link spacing? I am trying to decide between the MP tool and the DID tool. Specs on the DID tool make me want it worse, but I cannot find a dealer who knows what it is/how to order.

http://www.didchain.com/install.html

Although I can't believe that it's much better than the MP tool with the four stake anvil.

- J.

It says the DID one can only be used on a DID masterlink.

The MP one can be used on anything and I got it for $80 :grin:

It worked great and as long as you grind the head off first, presses pins out fine also.

J Red, did you ever figure out which part of your chain failed or what kind of masterlink you had?

I believe it to be the masterlink, as the remaining chain looks all staked the same. I just lost two outer plates, and their pins.

I rang the previous owner, and he claims that he thought it was a rivet type masterlink. I don't know him personally, so I can't vouch for his memory.

J.

I use black chain lube to match my black bike of course. DUH! :razz:

I can't see a riveted master link breaking. Ever. I measured my riveting diameter just like the book says. I took it out to .225 which is at the thick end of the spec. given in the XX manual.

DID says a rivet link is 95% as strong as the rest of the chain.

Pete:

Where did you get your chain tool?

I see so many that I don't know which to get or whether I need two or just one to break the chain then set the master link.

BTW: My bird has 29K on it (third owner) and I doubt the chain has been changed. I'm FAR past the replace mark on the trailing arm. A definite kink / bind when I roll the bike in neutral in a certain spot.

I believe this caused my surging on the highway above 50 MPH which also felt like a vibration that made the bike squirrely. NEver noticed it around the hood at 25 - 40 mph................

-Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy. I got it at Iron Pony. It's the Motion Pro chain riveting tool. Which is also a breaker. It's all you need. Just grind the head off before you push the pin out,$80 with free shipping if your order is $100 or more till 7/1/04.

• 4 months later...

Bought mine from dmtaonline.com

SUPERBIKE SERIES - 530ZVM - LENGTH 110

Item Code : 2343743

Categories: DID - SUPERBIKE ZVM SERIES CHAINS

FEATURED BRANDS!!! : D.I.D.

Model : DID 530ZVM

Weight : 5.00 LB

List Price: $166.50

Our Price: $103.00