CBR1100XX.org Forum

Valve Clearance Tolerance

Dano

So I'm still getting around to doing a valve clearance inspection on my 2002 . Getting a few things together to do while I’m at it. New plugs, New air cleaner, Still have to get "cylinder head packing" as the manual says. I assume that's the cover gasket. Still have to pick up some PremaTex to help stick it in place as some have suggested.

Two questions: 1. Regular flat ½”x3” feeler gauge set OK ?

2. I’ve searched other valve posts on the board and many state after checking their “valve clearance was well within spec.” What does that mean? Intake is suppose to be .006” plus/minus .001” Exhaust .009” +-.001”

What kind of gauges are you guys using that can measure well within .001” ? Do you mean it's right on or within a half of right on? Not sure how I could measure better then .0005" For example if you measured the exhaust at .01" would you leave it? (OK 4 questions.)

Thanx

I can't remember the clearances, and don't have a manual in front of me, but I fell pretty sure that like any other engine, this has a valve spec that is a range of values, rather than a finite one + or -. Such as .006 - .009 rather than .006 plus or minus. So a valve can be on the loose side of spec, or the tight side of spec.

Myself, I wouldn't fool with a valve that was within spec unless it was .001-.002 away from the tight side. Valves get tighter when they wear, so those are the ones to be concerned with. Valves on the looser side won't be anywhere near critical for some time.

Hope that helps.

Cylinder head packing??? :icon_think: :icon_confused::icon_confused: Never seen those words in a Honda service manual.

Intake: .005 to .007

Exhaust: .008 to .010

If they are in that range they're in spec. If your exhaust measures .007 or less it's time for a shim swap. As Joe said if an exhaust measures .011 I'd leave it alone. slightly loose is way better than tight.

I've kept a record of my clearances and I had one come in loose and I left it alone and the next time it was back in spec.

a set of 3 in. feeler gauges is fine. as thin as they are they are very flexible.

Thanks, Joe, Pete.

I was just kind a surprised to see a spec of plus/minus .001" My manual never mentions head gasket, just head packing material. I'll go to the microfiche and check part number.

Does the gasket come out in one piece? Or does it usually have to be replaced? i...

The rubber gasket usually stays on the cam cover when removed. Just a light skim of Permatex on the round part of the half-moon part of the rubber cam cover gasket will do.

As far as 'in-spec'. If it calls for .006" +/-.001" and you can get a .005 but not a .004 its fine. Or a .007 but not a .008, it fine. Shoot for the center as either way has it's disadvantages. Too tight, valve seal will suffer and you could get burn through. Too loose and besides noise and extra wear on the valve stem tip, the cam will act 'smaller' as you will have less lift and duration.

I pulled and took my 94 k miles head a part.Valve seats are really in shitty shape,it looks like recommended clearence is too tight,lots of erosion,low spots,etc.They really should be recut and valves replaced.I`m going to aim for more valve clearence.In is street bike,spends small % of its life at redline.I`m O.K. with some extra noise from valve train.