CBR1100XX.org Forum

50,000 mile maintenance

Chizuck

Howdy all,

My 99 blackbird is about 2 weeks away from rolling over the big 50,000. Since I bought it with 12,000 in '04 it's been a dream of a commuter. Aside from gas, oil, and tires the only things I've replaced have been the chain (thanks again, Joe), and the brake pads. The chain is starting to make a popping noise again, so I guess I'm due to replace it, and I'd like to get some feedback on a few other things:

Coolant - still the original. No complaints, I'm just wondering if it's something I should replace just because it's old.

Brake fluid - still the original. Again no complaints, but in the little window on the MC it looks kind of brownish.

Clutch fluid - still the original. Also looks a little brownish, and I've noticed the clutch lever doesn't always go all the way out on release. Doesn't affect clutch engagement, it's just a little weird.

Fork oil - still the original. My riding isn't really at a level where I have handling complaints, I just wonder if 50K miles is too much for the fork oil. The seals seem to be intact.

Wheel bearings - is there any need to add grease to or clean the wheel bearings? Compared to my wife's ninja my bike seems to have a lot of rolling resistance in neutral.

Air filter - I took it out and knocked some dust off it once. I certainly don't notice a lack of power or anything and the FI light doesn't come on.

Without a doubt my favorite part about this bike is how maintenance-free it has been, but I'm starting to feel guilty, like maybe I should be doing a little more to it. Am I worrying about nothing or should I spend a weekend doing a little wrenching?

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Chuck

Change the coolant, change the hydaulic fluid (brake and clutch), change the fork oil, change the spark plugs, and for God's sake change your air filter.

Wheel bearings would be worth checking but should be fine. Check the steering head bearings while you're at it.

I'd also highly recommend checking your valve clearance. Just because some of them have gone 70k without needing attention doesn't make it safe to assume yours will. I had a couple out a bit on mine at 42k, and others have had to adjust before 30k.

While this bike is incredibly tolerant of a lax maintenaince schedule, you'll get more out of it if you don't push that to the limit.

Change the coolant, change the hydaulic fluid (brake and clutch), change the fork oil, change the spark plugs, and for God's sake change your air filter.

Wheel bearings would be worth checking but should be fine. Check the steering head bearings while you're at it.

I'd also highly recommend checking your valve clearance. Just because some of them have gone 70k without needing attention doesn't make it safe to assume yours will. I had a couple out a bit on mine at 42k, and others have had to adjust before 30k.

While this bike is incredibly tolerant of a lax maintenaince schedule, you'll get more out of it if you don't push that to the limit.

+2! :icon_eek: You are well behind on all the maintenance, hope you have changed the oil regularly with a decent quality oil.

guess I'm due to replace it, and I'd like to get some feedback on a few other things: Its time for new front and rear sprockets as well.

Coolant - still the original. Change it.

Brake fluid - still the original. Change it. You can simply pour fresh in the reservoir and work it through...you don't have to drain the system.

Clutch fluid - still the original. Change it. You can simply pour fresh in the reservoir and work it through...you don't have to drain the system.

Fork oil - still the original. Change it. There's an easy way and a hard way. Take your pick.

Wheel bearings - is there any need to add grease to or clean the wheel bearings? No. Spin the wheels off the ground. If they bind up, pry the brake pads back. If they still don't turn readily and quietly, replace them. That will also give you a chance to visually inspect each individual brake pad...they can wear at different rates. Spin your rear wheel while you have the chain off.

Air filter - still the original. Change it.

Be sure while you are changing the front sprocket, and have the sprocket cover off, that you remove the clutch pushrod from the engine case and clean it thoroughly. This can cause your clutch to hang up a bit if its dirty.

Absolutely do all of the above recomended items. 50,000 miles is quite a lot of wear and tear.

Even though the bike still seems ok, you must do all the maintenance or you could be looking

at a nasty failure of some part, possibly at a very bad time in a remote place!!

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll set aside the coming Saturday to get started on the long overdue maintenance. The amount of noise coming from the chain has me a little worried so I've been riding the wife's ninja 500 the last few days - what a change of pace! It's kind of fun screaming around town on it (I try to overcome the lack of power by never letting the revs drop below 7000) but I wish I had a sign on it or something indicating that it belongs to my wife. This morning I got smoked at a stop light by a guy driving a souped up Mini Cooper - that's some embarrassing shit right there. At the next light I had to stop myself from tapping on his window and explaining to him that I normally ride a much cooler bike.

Once again, thanks for all the input and Marc I appreciate the offer to help. I'll hit you up with a PM about tool questions.

-Chuck

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll set aside the coming Saturday to get started on the long overdue maintenance. The amount of noise coming from the chain has me a little worried so I've been riding the wife's ninja 500 the last few days - what a change of pace! It's kind of fun screaming around town on it (I try to overcome the lack of power by never letting the revs drop below 7000) but I wish I had a sign on it or something indicating that it belongs to my wife. This morning I got smoked at a stop light by a guy driving a souped up Mini Cooper - that's some embarrassing shit right there. At the next light I had to stop myself from tapping on his window and explaining to him that I normally ride a much cooler bike.

Once again, thanks for all the input and Marc I appreciate the offer to help. I'll hit you up with a PM about tool questions.

-Chuck

Hey Chuck, I live up in Orange County, but work in SD most days. Am pretty well equipped for tools, and just bought a chain breaker this month.

I think you should host a tune-up party at your place for the local Bird owners, so we can all come and laugh :icon_nono: , or help :icon_angel: , whatever the case may be :icon_whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update:

I managed to get almost everything done that I needed to last Saturday. I installed a new ZVM2 chain and two new sprockets (big thanks to SD Marc for use of his chain tool), cleaned the clutch rod, replaced the coolant, worked through some new clutch and brake fluid, put in some new spark plugs (those things are expensive!), installed a K&N air filter, changed the oil and filter, checked wheel bearings, and did some general cleaning. About the only things I didn't accomplish that people recommended were to replace the fork fluid and check the valve clearances - another day.

I do notice some more chain noise with the undamped sprocket - sort of sounds like a hissing noise under power - but it's way better than the creaking and popping the old chain was making. I'd like to say the new air filter and spark plugs added some power, but I'm guessing the perceived increase stems from the fact that I've been riding a ninja 500 around for the last couple weeks. Whatever the cause it's been fun to be back on the bird.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and tips, and again thanks to SD Marc for the tool help.

-Chuck

Coolant - still the original. Change it
No it wasnt.. :icon_wink:

Brake fluid - still the original. Change it. You can simply pour fresh in the reservoir and work it through...you don't have to drain the system.
..No it wasnt... :icon_wink:

Clutch fluid - still the original. Change it. You can simply pour fresh in the reservoir and work it through...you don't have to drain the system.
..No it wasnt... :icon_wink:

Air filter - still the original. Change it.
..??? I thought I had a K&N in that already??? :icon_think:

Of course Im assuming that you still have my old bike???

Hey Chuck...If you still have it, could you e-mail me my old dyno chart?? Hope all is well

I do notice some more chain noise with the undamped sprocket - sort of sounds like a hissing noise under power -

...............but I'm guessing the perceived increase stems from the fact that I've been riding a ninja 500 around for the last couple weeks. Whatever the cause it's been fun to be back on the bird.

That's a good discription of the noise.

A trashed chain and sprockets can pull several horsepower. It probably is faster.