CBR1100XX.org Forum

Microfiche and Shop manual don't match

silverbird1100

Try here:http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Which is hondadirectline.com for 1999-03, it shows a total of 7 friction disc (it seems to be 2 of one kind and 5 of another) and 6 plates. The clutches for 97-98 are different. I have not used Honda direct.

Which is hondadirectline.com for 1999-03, it shows a total of 7 friction disc (it seems to be 2 of one kind and 5 of another) and 6 plates. The clutches for 97-98 are different. I have not used Honda direct.

Honda Directline is about 4 blocks away from where i work. Also I am friends with the owner. If I can be of any help let me know. Or give Directline a call at 1-888-258-6699 and ask to speak with Drew. Drew is a good friend and is very knowledgable with the fiche / part numbers.

I must not be reading it right, that link still shows 3 plates and 4 disks :icon_think:

The shop manual says there's 7 disks and 6 plates.

The Ron Ayers fiche say's there 2 plates and 4 disks(2 of each kind)

What that hell?

Sorry I'm a little late on this one.

The fiche is just an artists representation. Repetitive items aren't pictured, so you can't use it as a definitive guide. For instance, only one clutch spring is depicted.......you know there's six.

Why in the world do you need to replace all your disks and plates??? :icon_think:

The shop manual says there's 7 disks and 6 plates.

The Ron Ayers fiche say's there 2 plates and 4 disks(2 of each kind)

What that hell?

Sorry I'm a little late on this one.

The fiche is just an artists representation. Repetitive items aren't pictured, so you can't use it as a definitive guide. For instance, only one clutch spring is depicted.......you know there's six.

Why in the world do you need to replace all your disks and plates??? :icon_think:

My springs are at their service limit, so being the paranoid bastard I am, replaced the plates & disks since they had some wear too. It's been feeling a little lazy and I don't take chances on my trip Across the country :icon_lol:

How many miles on it, for crying out loud?

I've never had to replace a clutch.

+1

I'm still using the stock clutch, with the exception of some HD springs on my big bore, and NO issues at all. Even abused at the strip a few times now.

I checked the thread, and I read it as 3 to 2 against doing anything with the clutch.

No matter, its your decision, and certainly not a bad one. Its never a bad decision to replace components that normally wear. Unnecessary, perhaps, but not bad. Make sure you pull your clutch rod completely out and clean it.