CBR1100XX.org Forum

Running higher octane fuels

The XXorcist

Ok I asked this on another board, and really didn't get the answer I was looking for so will ask here.

Couple guys I ride with 929, and a 996. They both will run a gallon of Cam 2 in a tank every so often.

They told me it will help eleminate some moisture that could form in your tank from condensation, and also help clean up your pistons, valves, blah blah blah

I just wanna know if it will help or not, The gas and Cam 2 will only be in the tank for a few hours.

So anyone?

Dave

Pardon my ignorance, but after searching to see what (exactly) CAm 2 was, I am under the impression that it is a racing fuel of some sort. However, I can not determine the octane rating on the specific fuel in question.

That said, don't waste your time and money (mostly money) buying it. Unless your motor is set up to the point that it needs to run that high of octane, you will actually lose performance if you attempt to use it.

The above comment is based on using it alone, now you want to use it along with normal pump fuel. I doubt you will notice anyting other than a few more dollars missing from your wallet.

This is from another web site....they are talking about regular pump gas, but the same applies here

The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline

Are you tempted to buy a high octane gasoline for your car because you want to improve its performance? If so, take note: the recommended gasoline for most cars is regular octane. In fact, in most cases, using a higher octane gasoline than your owner’s manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won’t make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner. Your best bet: listen to your owner’s manual.

Just my $.02

- Ray

Ok let me see, Cam 2 is racing fuel with a octane of 108

I don't plan on running it full stregnth in my bike I am not that dumb yet. Just a gallon if that.

I also know about all the crap about running higher octanes and why they don't work like people think. I don't care what octane or brand of gas people run in their bikes.

I am simply asking if anyone has or heard of someone who ran a gallon of it in their bikes to help eliminate moisture in their tank, or help clean any carbon. Similar to running FI cleaner in their bikes.

I also can get a gallon of Cam 2 for $4.50 a gallon which is about the same price as any quality FI system cleaner I can buy at Wal-Mart Advance, Napa, ect. ect.

To eliminate moisture you'd probably be better off buying 91 octane gasoline/ethenol blend.

The others are absolutely correct higher octane won't do anything except make your wallet lighter unless you have 13:1 compression or a turbo. :lol:

The best way to eliminate moisture from your gas tank is to top the tank off after a ride, before you park the bike. The smaller the airspace in the tank, the less water formed by moisture condensing in the tank.

Yeah I try to keep her full, not only is better to help keep moisture out, but it also sucks monkey balls when you gear up ready to go burn up some back roads and you have hit the gas station first thing.

I sometimes don't get home till late from a day of riding and alot of places aren't open or I am too tired to stop after 400-500 miles of riding.

Plus having my bike parked downstairs in my basement it stays about 70 and on a hot day when I roll her out, she instantly fogs up from temp change.

What brands of FI injector cleaner do you guys put in your bikes? I normally use Lucas, like $4 a bottle but buy a couple bottles when they go on sale to $2 every now and then.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Damn couldnt get 87 at this pump :cry:

Is this still considered gasoline?

What would fuel containing lead do to the bird?

So, if there isnt any difference between the grades of gas what can you do as far as a fuel or fuel additive to keep the fuel injectors valves, combustion chamber clean.

I still havent gotten many suggestions for a FI cleaner.

Steve

20039226503920219425001.jpg

Some Consumer Reports magazine I got said the best time to buy fuel is first thing in the morning. This is due to the ground being cooler, causing the fuel to be cooler, thus reducing it's volume. So, you get more fuel per dollar. But really, how much does fuel expand/contract? I'm not sure how much of a difference filling up a 4 or 5 gallon bike tank is. Perhaps, filling up some of these 40 gallon SUV tanks, you'd get more fuel.

Alright, this is somehing I know alot about.

Fuel pumps. The government tests the volume of fuel pumps once a year. They place stickers on the pumps that is unlawful to remove, you may have seen them, they say +1, +2, 0, -1, -2 and so on. In some states at +/- 4 they pumps have to be recalibrated and that is costly so the station owner will wait until it is at the very end of the spectrum. Look for the pumps that have the pluses, thats how many extra ounces of fuel that come out when the pump registers 1 gallon. If you have a v8 SUV your always on that ball. For a 6 gallon bike it doesn't save that much.

Now for the octane thing. 95 percent of the gas in this country comes from the same pipeline distribution network. BP is about the only chain that still houses their own end stations, but still sells to other operators.

Those octane ratings can get kind of tricky though, because fuel trucks only carry two types of fuel (besides deisel), Unleaded and Premium. The mid grade is a combination of the two and for that you have to trust the truck driver to mix it appropriately. And into a tank that someone else guessed at. So, fair warning about mid grade. All or nothing for consistant octane delivery. Personally, I use 91 when it's available, If I'm looking for midgrade I'll fill half and half from 87 and 91.

Cudos and happy hunting for the off calibrated gas pumps.

I believe that most pumps blend the fuel to come up with the various octanes. Around here several stations have 5 grades of gas :shock:

Probably the biggest problem with running leaded gas in a fuel injected engine is the O2 sensor. Lead tends to foul them after a while.

Xylene makes for a great octane booster and fuel system cleaner. I run this reguarly in the Grand National when I want to turn up the boost.

I have never had problems with 87 octane in the Bird.

Some Consumer Reports magazine I got said the best time to buy fuel is first thing in the morning. This is due to the ground being cooler, causing the fuel to be cooler, thus reducing it's volume. So, you get more fuel per dollar. But really, how much does fuel expand/contract?

Fuel is in underground tanks...

I would speculate that the temperature of that fuel stays pretty constant from day/night...

I'm guessing that the reason for getting the fuel in the morning is that it has settled out all night, but most pumps have filters, so I'm not sure about that either.

The best FI cleaner is Techron(Chevron)--everything else is just snake oil. BG44K also good but much harder to find. My friend had a bike that he left all winter with no stabilizer and would hardly run in the spring. Ran a bottle of Techron through and good as new.

MikeG

I'm still running a tank with Techron Fuel system cleaner in it. What a difference! I didn't have any driveability problems (I thought) but now it runs faster, better throttle response, smoother pick up, I like it!

I'd meant to run this stuff earlier since I saw carbon on my intake valves but forgot.

All for $6.