CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike/bike communication

haWHYnXX

I have a chance to buy a new Autocom for a good price but have a quick question.

If I understand correctly, the Autocom unit is basically a PA system and to communicate with other bikes you need to buy a FRS/GMRS communicator. Where do you guys mount the walkie??

Also, is it really that much better than say a Chatterbox, since that system is a PA and FRS/GMRS all in one.

I have a chance to buy a new Autocom for a good price but have a quick question.

If I understand correctly, the Autocom unit is basically a PA system and to communicate with other bikes you need to buy a FRS/GMRS communicator. Where do you guys mount the walkie??

Also, is it really that much better than say a Chatterbox, since that system is a PA and FRS/GMRS all in one.

Yeah, if you are gonna do bike to bike, you need a set of communicators. The company seems to have a relationship w/ Kenwood, I think they are more integrated than others. (I think)

I do not have BTB capabilities on mine, since no one will talk to me, what's the point? BUT if other bike has Autocom and a compatible cell phone, you could conceivably use them as BTB's....my phone works pretty well for incoming calls, even over mp3 or satellite radio. I have to use some hand to make outgoing, so it is a little cumbersome at this point.

The Autocomm is much more than a "PA"... it lets you use your cell phone, mp3 player, and have an intercom with your pillion. They have cables that allow you use Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu radios to go bike to bike. I can plug in my department portable and communicate with my town's fire dispatch center.

You can mount the unit under the seat, and then run the cable up to a tank bag to hook into your different devices (mp3, cell, transceiver, etc.)

Thanks for the help guys. I was seriously leaning toward the system before and now sure that I want to go that way. Gonna use for BTB, Sirius, and possibly GPS voice prompt and radar if I ever get those hooked up.

Another good alternative to the Autocomm is the Starcom1 ( www.starcom1.com ) which works really well. I use it for my radar, mp3, and the FRS radios on the bike. Works fantastic, and I cant ever imagine riding a bike without it....

I keep a Motorola radio inside the tail cone which still works fine but you have the option to mount it anywhere you want with the required OPTIONAL (i.e., expensive) cord for the radio of your choice. There are suitable cords for any make although Autocom appears to be pushing Kenwood. If you intend to use the radio often, I suggest you to get a PTT switch as well. It mounts on the handlebar. It allows you to turn the radio off, always on (transmits when you speak) and transmits only when you push the talk button (PTT).

I keep a Motorola radio inside the tail cone which still works fine but you have the option to mount it anywhere you want with the required OPTIONAL (i.e., expensive) cord for the radio of your choice.

Thanks for the reply xxbird. Is the Motorola hard wired, or battery powered? Do you ever need to get into the tail to change channels?

If you intend to use the radio often, I suggest you to get a PTT switch as well. It mounts on the handlebar. It allows you to turn the radio off, always on (transmits when you speak) and transmits only when you push the talk button (PTT).

Reference the above question. Is the radio hard wired, and the PTT button allows you to turn it on and off or is it there only to give options for PTT or VOX?

I'm just looking for the easiest user friendly setup. :icon_think:

If you don't use the PTT accessory, then every time you talk it will transmit over the radio. That's fine if you don't have a pillion, and if you can get the VOX adjusted just right on your unit.

If you have a pillion, it's great to have a PTT button, so that you can chat freely with your passenger, then push the button when you need to go bike to bike.

If you don't use the PTT accessory, then every time you talk it will transmit over the radio. That's fine if you don't have a pillion, and if you can get the VOX adjusted just right on your unit.

If you have a pillion, it's great to have a PTT button, so that you can chat freely with your passenger, then push the button when you need to go bike to bike.

The Starcom1 system will do both, ptt or vox.

Is the Motorola hard wired, or battery powered? Do you ever need to get into the tail to change channels?

I didn't bother to hardwire it for power, batteries last day long. In one instance, there was a need to change the channel; a family with kids traveling along with us came across the channel we were using and kids thought it was funny to scream bloody murder or hold the transmit button ON constantly.

PTT remote button does NOT turn off the radio but turns off the transmit option as Ben described in detail above. I have pictures posted with Autocom install (PTT switch too) which you could easily find via your best friend "Search" option. Good luck with your decision and install.

kids thought it was funny to scream bloody murder or hold the transmit button ON constantly.

:icon_lmao: :icon_lmao: Probably not so funny at the time, but a funny story now!

PTT remote button does NOT turn off the radio but turns off the transmit option as Ben described in detail above.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I have pictures posted with Autocom install (PTT switch too) which you could easily find via your best friend "Search" option.

I've actually seen the pics of your install - really clean - just never saw where you put the radio.

Thanks all for your help, now just got to pony up and do it!

Also thanks to TechnoGecko for your Starcom1 input.

Out.