CBR1100XX.org Forum

Handlebar dampening

ststricker

We were having a discussion at work today regarding the best way to dampen handle bar vibration. One of the guys has a new FJR1300 and has a bad shoulder so he wanted to remove as much vibration from the bars as possible. He already bought gel grips and bar end weights. He is next going to try and fill the bars with lead shot. Has anyone here tried this before? Any better suggestions?

First off, dampen = add water, damp = stop vibration. :whip:

There are two ways to affect vibration; mass and absorption. Mass changes the resonant frequency of the object so high-frequency vibrations are damped to some extent. Absorption is more effective, and turns vibrations into heat. I think the bar snake is of the latter type.

For mass to work, it has to be very tightly coupled to the vibrating item. Just pouring lead shot into the bars will be rather ineffective. Stuffing it full and tightening it up could be very effective, but don't know how you'd do that.

Remember a lot of the old Brit bike owners swearing by filling the bars with molten lead but there was so much vibration in them to start with it didnt do a lot.

If absorbtion works better would expanding builders type foam be any good at all or needs a bit of mass behind it as well? :???:

If you want to learn how conversion works, look at the Dynamat site. There's a combination of mass and specific materials. I used a lot of Dynamat and variants in my sound competition cars, and learned there's much more to it than meets the eye. Unfortunately, I don't know of any sure-fire home made substitutes. I've heard the bar snake is effective, but never tried it.

I don't know if the bar snake would work or not, it is meant for dirt bike style handle bars, with an opening all the way through. but i would think if you cut them down and use them you should get the same effect?????