CBR1100XX.org Forum

does this sound rediculous

gharknes

OK I live in thailand and don't have the same choices of exhausts most of you guys have.

I am considering going to a car exhaust shop (of which there are many) and if I find a tailpipe small enough having them make me up 2 pipes to replace my original stock system, I would imagine it would not be difficult to do.

Is this just plain daft or could it work if I find a nice slim crome silencer, will it effect the engine performance if back pressure isn't right.

OR should I just rip my original system apart and pull the insides out of it

I want a bit of grunt.

Dude,don`t touch it,,,,,,,yes,it does sound rediculous,,,,,,,,,

OK i know i asked for views and opinions, but can you go a little further and explain the reason why it is rediculous, are car mufflers really so different from bike mufflers, I'm pretty sure I can find one that would be quite pleasing to look at on my XX, so what's the issue ?

That would be a bastardization of a bird.... almost as bad as replacing the suspension and tail section of a bird with parts off of "other" Japanese bikes!

:icon_stickpoke:

a muffler is a muffler, lots of people add after market exhausts, i'm just looking at options to do same

for anyone that has fitted one - are bike muuflers/silencers "straight through" ?

for anyone that has fitted one - are bike muuflers/silencers "straight through" ?

Yes, you can normally see through an aftermarket bike race muffler. However, there are often perforated small diameter inner tubes, and damping material between that and the outer shell. Often there are some arrangement at the end of pipe to reduce the worst sound pulses. Take a look inte the rear of an aftermarket can and you see what I mean.

Yes, you can normally see through an aftermarket bike race muffler. However, there are often perforated small diameter inner tubes, and damping material between that and the outer shell. Often there are some arrangement at the end of pipe to reduce the worst sound pulses. Take a look inte the rear of an aftermarket can and you see what I mean.

well aafter market car mufflers are the same, the are straight through with the perforated mesh in the inner tube, i gota tell you guys, if i can find something that looks ok and sounds ok then i will fit it, i don't care about for car or bike, if it looks ok then why not.............big difference is 40 bucks as opposed to 400

My opinion would be that a car muffler has no place on a motorcycle especially a XX. The blackbird is known as "the gentlemans super bike" its not some piece of crap squid bike. and in all honesty attaching a car muffler would look awful om short this idea is just ghetto as all hell. your stock exhaust is much much better then a car muffler. if you want it louder then just take the whole damn silencer off and run headers that would atleast look better then some sort of crap job like attaching a car muffler. you know it is entirely possible that you will LOSE power by attaching a car muffler. the reason after market cans are so expensive is because there is a good amount of engeneering that goes into them so they gain power. but as it has already been said, its your bike do what you want. but i think this is a pitful idea and a total waste of money and time in fabricating it. if you do go throught with your idea i would like to see photos AND dyno charts from before and after

well aafter market car mufflers are the same, the are straight through with the perforated mesh in the inner tube, i gota tell you guys, if i can find something that looks ok and sounds ok then i will fit it, i don't care about for car or bike, if it looks ok then why not.............big difference is 40 bucks as opposed to 400

I agree, bike mufflers are very overpriced, perhaps because the market is quite small, hope you find a nice car muffler and post some pics.

I went thru this same thing with my ST1300 Honda. Only Staintunes and I believe Two Brothers make Exhaust cans for the ST1300. They are both pretty expensive and don't improve performance more than 5 or so HP on a ST1300. I wasn't really looking for more performance; I was wanting the look and sound. Okay, so now it only goes about 140 mph, but thru good luck and research picking a car muffler set, it sounds great(not too loud - a deep rumble) and looks good too. I got the cans off ebay for like $40 plus shipping and they are S.S. I would have to look up the place I got them, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to find. There were quit a few places that offered them in many different sizes of inlet and outlet diameters and lenghts. Pictures of mine,,,

[attachmentid=5516][attachmentid=5518][attachmentid=5519]

I have a Yosh full system on my XX and I like the way it looks and sounds, but I'll be the first to admit that the cat can be skinned more than one way,,,

post-2908-1165883351_thumb.jpg

post-2908-1165883498_thumb.jpg

post-2908-1165883609_thumb.jpg