CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery trickle charger / charger recommendations.

Texhoss

I haven't been riding enough to keep the battery charged. Please recommend a multi use charger. I have a 2amp/10amp car charger, I just don't want to cook the cycle battery. Will a 2amp charger be to much if left on for about 2 hours. Is this to much amp charging for a Honda OEM Battery?

Is a trickle charger, the way to maintain your battery, and what brand and model of charger?

I haven't been riding enough to keep the battery charged. Please recommend a multi use charger. I have a 2amp/10amp car charger, I just don't want to cook the cycle battery. Will a 2amp charger be to much if left on for about 2 hours. Is this to much amp charging for a Honda OEM Battery?

Is a trickle charger, the way to maintain your battery, and what brand and model of charger?

A 10 amp or less QUALITY ELECTRONIC battery charger preferably of the three step type will work just fine. Battery Tender is a fine product but it seems the motorcycle community is caught up in the marketing it is the holy grail of bike battery chargers. Your battery should not be just going flat over the course of a few months if it is you have a problem......

I'm not sure, but I would check more closely with the charger you're talking about. 2 amp hr/10 amp hr? Our batterys are 10amp hour batteries, so setting your charger for 2amp hour for 2 hours might not do too much. I'm not sure about this however.

And yes, a trickle charger is the way to go. Just "set it and forget it". Even harbor freight has a cheap one if you don't want to spring for the Battery Tender. However, I've never used it so this is not a recommendation.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=42292

A 10 amp or less QUALITY ELECTRONIC battery charger preferably of the three step type will work just fine. Battery Tender is a fine product but it seems the motorcycle community is caught up in the marketing it is the holy grail of bike battery chargers. Your battery should not be just going flat over the course of a few months if it is you have a problem......

I agree with you in theory. The clock should pull .02mA, and with the 10amp hour battery, it "should" be good for months. But you can do the math if you want.

However, I've never had such great luck with this practice. I believe the honda manual says to charge it ever 2 weeks so sulfer dosen't build up in the battery. I don't claim to understand the why's and how's of this, but I've killed a few batteries by letting it sit off a trickle charger for months and as a direct result, killed my stator too. Much more expensive and time consuming to change that, believe me!!

Jay

I'm not sure, but I would check more closely with the charger you're talking about. 2 amp hr/10 amp hr? Our batterys are 10amp hour batteries, so setting your charger for 2amp hour for 2 hours might not do too much. I'm not sure about this however.

And yes, a trickle charger is the way to go. Just "set it and forget it". Even harbor freight has a cheap one if you don't want to spring for the Battery Tender. However, I've never used it so this is not a recommendation.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=42292

I agree with you in theory. The clock should pull .02mA, and with the 10amp hour battery, it "should" be good for months. But you can do the math if you want.

However, I've never had such great luck with this practice. I believe the honda manual says to charge it ever 2 weeks so sulfer dosen't build up in the battery. I don't claim to understand the why's and how's of this, but I've killed a few batteries by letting it sit off a trickle charger for months and as a direct result, killed my stator too. Much more expensive and time consuming to change that, believe me!!

Jay

Residual sulfate is a result of charging and discharging most evident in a storage type battery. Being that we are talking about a starting type battery (with minimum ampacity) that on a proper functioning electrical system its lowest state of discharge is after cranking. With this in mind the sulfate build up issue at best should only be minimal and over time. Generally to dissipate sulfate build up charging at a slightly higher rate over "Bulk" charging for roughly 8hrs will take care of this it’s called "equalizing".

I just bought another automatic trickle charger.......from Walmart. Now before you say anything, the brand is Schumacher ? sp who has been making battery chargers since Christ was a teenager. Oh BTW...$17.95

I just bought another automatic trickle charger.......from Walmart. Now before you say anything, the brand is Schumacher ? sp who has been making battery chargers since Christ was a teenager. Oh BTW...$17.95

Good choice Vern,

I bought the same one about 2 months ago when I got the MZ660. Works great and yes a name you can rely on at the right price.

Optima III is what I know and recommend. It's pricey though.

[/quot

I've had the II model for several years. Strongly recommend it. It has a de-sulfate mode that has reclaimed several batteries for me. The few extra bucks for it's purchase has been returned several fold in saved batteries.

In this case, you actually get what you pay for.

I bought one at the Harley dealer. It came with a "pig-tail adapter that can be permanently installed on the bike and then if you need to charge it, it can be accessible without pulling the seat and you just plug the mating plug from the charger into it. Great set-up!!!

I bought it for the Honda F3 because I have to pull the whole tail section to get to the battery. But it works well for any bike. You could check and find out who makes them and probably buy them a lot cheaper than at Harley. I'll check mine tonite.

I had a damn expensive Sears model and it died within a couple of years. Trash.

I had a Battery Tender for a couple of years and died. I sent it to them and for $10 they sent me another one. For some reason it only charges with the clip-on style connector and not the plug in wired to the bike. :icon_eh:

The Optima III will be my next one. I like the aint-plate growth part of it which can prolong battery life.

That cheap wal-mart one sounds like a good deal