CBR1100XX.org Forum

Colorite

feelergaugephil

I have a few small scratches on my XX, So, I bought the colorite touch up pen and laquer, what a bunch of CRAP! didn't even match, it looks worse now.

Who supplies better touch up paint????? mine is the silver....

I think that may have more to do with it being a metallic color. Hard to EVER get a metallic to match when dobbed on, especially a light colored metallic. Airbrush touch up might make it better, but the truth is that you'll never really MATCH a metallic without repainting the panel.

I have a few small scratches on my XX, So, I bought the colorite touch up pen and laquer, what a bunch of CRAP! didn't even match, it looks worse now.

Who supplies better touch up paint????? mine is the silver....

I'd guess the best place would be from a Dealer. I can't imagine them not being able to get you the factory stuff. Check out ronayers.com.

Colorite is the supplier for honda touch up paint. and its true metallic paint is nealy impossible to patch. either sand down a large section and feather it back in, or maybe a good air brusher, but I honetly dont think you will be thrilled with any touch up job on the metallic silver bird. probibly easiest and least frustrating to just get the piece repainted

Take the bike to a pro paint supplier. They can scan it with this cool device and probably find the best match for you. When I painted the topcase it turned out my Ti bird is some Subaru color.

Light metallics especially silver are imposable to touch and match; it is to do with the flake when it is sprayed silver can be lighter or darker depending on air pressure to the spray gun, so just dobbing on some paint on a scratch just won’t cut it. Sorry for the bad news. :icon_frown:

I haven't had great luck with even the Honda touch up paint. The metallics, as mentioned above, are just nearly impossible to look good without a spray. I have a red VFR, and the touch up paint for it seems to have not enough color. Yes, I shook the container....

A good custom paint shop can match the color and give you a spray can. I don't know the price, but it may be worth the trouble....

Anyone have a cross reference automotive paint code for the BB silver, if one exists??

When I had my XX I used the pen's all the time for SMALL stuff. I was given 3 pens....a white kind of paint, a silver metallic sort of color and then the red. When I shook them VERY VERY VEY well....let each pen fully dry for over a day and was extreemly patient and meticulous with my work...it wasn't so bad.

MUCH better than anything else I used.

Again...it wasn't perfect but I was touching up such small areas it really just blended in.

If I remember correctly....the Colorite red was a bit 2 red for the bike.

Best out there short of custom painting.

Good luck.

Phil, I had a similar problem (small scratch on front fender, Ti color) and thought the Colorite Pen would be the ticket - just carefully dob a little on and the scratch would vanish. Wrong! In fact, the scratch looked WORSE after using the pen. As everyone said, these metalic paints are a pain to match, and many can only be applied as a multi-coat system (primer, base, color, and clear). Short of repainting the entire piece, I see no solution. Kinda pisses me off that the Colorite pen worked so crappy. Like you, I'll just live with the scratch for now :icon_wall: