CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air Horn Wiring - Need Help!

gumbo2000

I've recently purchased a Stebel Nautilus and am in the process of hooking it up. For those of you that have installed air horns that used a relay...where did you tap into your existing horn wire between the battery and the relay?

I'm mounting the horn in the tail where Rick/Speed99 had a pair of air horns mounted already. Thankfully...he's already got the wires run from the horn switch all the way back. The wiring strait from the battery to the relay to the new horn is simple. What has me nervous is tapping into the existing wiring.

If anyone is interested in one of these horns, I found this site that sells it for roughly the same price but includes all the wires and connectors needed. Shipping was fast too.

Thanks in advance for any help!

When I put the air horns on my bike I just added a blade wire end and tapped in from the exsisting wires for the stock horn...

Yep, that's what I did too... Took those connections to the relay, then powered the relay, with it's own fused connection to the battery, and went to the horn from there...

Mike

I was under the impression (maybe mistakenly) that the power coming from the stock wiring was not enough to get the full effect of the air horn and the relay was needed to get the volume that will stir grandma back into her lane.

No offense intended to Rick's "mounting" :icon_dance: , but the existing air horns sounded a bit sickly. From what I've researched, it sounded like that's usually because air horns don't get enough power and that's why the relay was needed.

Maybe I need to just keep it simple and try just plugging into the new horn?

• Downvote 1

When I put the air horns on my bike I just added a blade wire end and tapped in from the exsisting wires for the stock horn...

Yep, that's what I did too... Took those connections to the relay, then powered the relay, with it's own fused connection to the battery, and went to the horn from there...

Mike

AHH!! OK! That makes sense. I think I am trying to make this more complicated than it needs to be. I was thinking the relay needed to go between the bike's typical power source and the horn button. But you're saying put the relay between the button and the horn where the relay can still be powered directly from the battery...right?

But...if that's the case...my relay has a place for four connections. Two are used for the battery to the relay and then the relay to the horn. I would use a third from the existing horn wiring to the relay (the wire that Rick had powering his old horn. But then what about the fourth? Does it not get used or do I need a different relay?

Sorry for the basic wiring questions. I really have no clue what I am doing here. :icon_doh:

post some pics when your get it on.

I yanked my air horns off cause the damn air lines kept binding and blocking air flow..

So I am back to Raodrunner "beep" "beep"

Will do! The nice thing about this particular horn is there are no air lines....it's all connected as a unit. I wasn't able to mount it in the direction the company recommends but from what I read...it doesn't really matter.

<<< Insert "Unit" and "Mount" jokes here. >>>

I have the same horn myself that I picked up a while ago but have never installed it yet.

I may give it a try this weekend with Adams help but we are going to try to fabricate a bracket to mount it in the OEM horn position, if we can make enough room.

139 db's is load as hell and just hope the bike doesn't go backwards when I push the button :icon_biggrin:

I have the same horn myself that I picked up a while ago but have never installed it yet.

I may give it a try this weekend with Adams help but we are going to try to fabricate a bracket to mount it in the OEM horn position, if we can make enough room.

139 db's is load as hell and just hope the bike doesn't go backwards when I push the button :icon_biggrin:

Please let me know when you figure out how to mount it in the OEM horn position.

Like I said earlier, mine fit nicely in the very end of the tail section but it's not mounted at the recommended angle and I'm not sure how loud it will be underneath the seat and myself. I was able to use a small shelf bracket I had in the garage to mount it with no fabrication.

I would rather have it towards the front but as you can see I had enough challenge just figuring out how to wire it. :icon_doh:

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Please let me know when you figure out how to mount it in the OEM horn position.

Like I said earlier, mine fit nicely in the very end of the tail section but it's not mounted at the recommended angle and I'm not sure how loud it will be underneath the seat and myself. I was able to use a small shelf bracket I had in the garage to mount it with no fabrication.

I would rather have it towards the front but as you can see I had enough challenge just figuring out how to wire it. :icon_doh:

Thanks again everyone for the help.

DO NOT RUN IT FOR LONG IN THE WRONG POSITION!!! It says to mount it that way because that's the way the oil system in the pump is setup to run... It's basically like running a gasoline engine on its side... it'll run for awhile, but running with no oil, once the sump is depleted, it won't run for long!

Mike

I just installed one myself, GREAT HORN!

I put it under the gas tank mounted against the frame where the shock mounts. (If you look in the manual it's where the evap can goes if you have a Cali. bike.)

I just used a male blade connector and stuck it it the hot horn wire from the horn button.

Buddy has a Suzuki M50 and his web site has them put it in their tool box, an almost airtight box and it's still way loud!

I just installed one myself, GREAT HORN!

I put it under the gas tank mounted against the frame where the shock mounts. (If you look in the manual it's where the evap can goes if you have a Cali. bike.)

Yep, I've got mine under the tank too...

Mike

The horn is in and working great. I haven't had a chance to scare any old ladies yet......but I'm waiting. :icon_twisted:

bartonmd talked me into taking the time to mount it the right way. I was able to use the same bracket...just twisted it here and there using a vice and a big set of pliers.

It doesn't look like it would but the tail went back on just fine. I'm sure I lose some volume having it buried under the seat but I'm happy.

As promised....here are a few pictures.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I just put one of those horns on my XX. I bent up a new bracket & mounted it with the same bolt the original was mounted with. I ran a new 14 ga. fused wire from the battery up to the front.

Put the original horn wire connections on terminals 85 & 86. These energize the relay. Connect the battery wire to terminal 30 on the relay. connect the N.O. ( I believe it is 87 terminal on the relay to the horn. Connect the other horn terminal to ground. DONE!

Very simple. The trick was making the bracket clear everything when the bars are turned.

Just got back home from Adams house.

Installed the horn first in the stock horn location but was worried about clearance over the front fender under load so we moved it up about three inches by bolting an "L" bracket through the existing hole in the Gauge cluster bracket. Worked out great and just clears the fork tubes when turned lock to lock.

Driving home on the Florida Turnpike I tried it out and got lots of attention and think I lost over 3 mph forward speed for every second I pressed the horn button !!! Damn is it loud and powerfull :icon_evilgrin:

Also installed the M20 Blinder Laser Jammer ! Bring on the laser guns now !!!!!

Radar/Laser detector along with the Jammer all tied into the J&M audio system into my Shoei X-Eleven works incredible.

But that horn is sweet.

Thanks to Adam all the new mods are installed properly and in the right position.

And Randi makes a great Baked Ziti on top of it all.

Just got back home from Adams house.

Installed the horn first in the stock horn location but was worried about clearance over the front fender under load so we moved it up about three inches by bolting an "L" bracket through the existing hole in the Gauge cluster bracket. Worked out great and just clears the fork tubes when turned lock to lock.

Driving home on the Florida Turnpike I tried it out and got lots of attention and think I lost over 3 mph forward speed for every second I pressed the horn button !!! Damn is it loud and powerfull :icon_evilgrin:

Also installed the M20 Blinder Laser Jammer ! Bring on the laser guns now !!!!!

Radar/Laser detector along with the Jammer all tied into the J&M audio system into my Shoei X-Eleven works incredible.

But that horn is sweet.

Thanks to Adam all the new mods are installed properly and in the right position.

And Randi makes a great Baked Ziti on top of it all.

I didn't like the Ziti to be honest with ya'. Just don't tell her that.

I didn't like the Ziti to be honest with ya'. Just don't tell her that.

Guess I have to bring you some more Micro-Fiber to wipe up the tears !! The stuff was awesome

and yes I am going to tell her :icon_twisted:

nbl

Seriously, thanks for the work especially after a rough previous couple of days at the Hospital.

Everything works great.

Can you say 139 db LOUD horn :icon_biggrin: