CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air Horn Wiring - Need Help!

gumbo2000

Hey gumbo do you think the horn would work there with a PCIII installed in the tail section also?

I might order me one and go ahead and see about mounting it up front like John.

Thanks for the pics.

Diffenently mount it up front where it is suppose to be. Plus it is so loud that under your seat may give a sensation that will cause a problem for your Butt while riding !!

Remove OEM horn and spring steel bracket and mount new 1" "L" bracket with 2" bolt through hole in frame just above the old bracket, wire up and done. Be prepared before pressing the button........It is

LLLOOOOOUUUUUUDDDDDDD !

Hi John, would it be possible to get a picture or the mounting position. Are you mounting it to the fairing stay.? I have a hid ballast up in there as well and i am wondering if have room for both.

Is it the compact air horn u guys are using ? Do you have a model name or number ?

Thanks

Herb

Here's where I got mine.

http://erston.com/stebel.htm

I'm also surprised you mounted it in the stock location, doesn't it hit the fender on hard braking?

That thing is so loud it doesn't matter where you mount it.

I looked at it with my bike ('97) and it looked as if it would/could rub on the oil cooler... and John's oil cooler is lower, with his being an FI bike...

Mike

Here's where I got mine.

I'm also surprised you mounted it in the stock location, doesn't it hit the fender on hard braking?

I looked at it with my bike ('97) and it looked as if it would/could rub on the oil cooler... and John's oil cooler is lower, with his being an FI bike...

Mike

I will have to see if I can get a Picture for you but yes it is the Stebel Compact Nautilus Horn. I have two HID starters and transformers mounted to the fairing stay and also the control box for my M20 Blinder Laser Jammer and of course now the Horn as well, all tucked in neatly out of sight.

The horn is attached to the point where the fairing stay meets the goose neck. There was a 1/2" hole empty at the junction there that I put a 1/2" X 2" bolt through to attach the "L" bracket to mount the horn to. It is placed a couple inches higher than the original horn mount since the stebel is longer and I needed to keep it high enough to clear the fender under front end heavy loading. It ended up hanging down just right so that you can not see it. It is just barely above the bottom of the nose plastics.

Hope that helps.

I will have a problem getting a decent picture before the weekend due to it being dark by the time I get home. It is raining every day now so I have been caging it to work this week.

Here's where I got mine.

Mike

I will have to see if I can get a Picture for you but yes it is the Stebel Compact Nautilus Horn. I have two HID starters and transformers mounted to the fairing stay and also the control box for my M20 Blinder Laser Jammer and of course now the Horn as well, all tucked in neatly out of sight.

The horn is attached to the point where the fairing stay meets the goose neck. There was a 1/2" hole empty at the junction there that I put a 1/2" X 2" bolt through to attach the "L" bracket to mount the horn to. It is placed a couple inches higher than the original horn mount since the stebel is longer and I needed to keep it high enough to clear the fender under front end heavy loading. It ended up hanging down just right so that you can not see it. It is just barely above the bottom of the nose plastics.

Hope that helps.

I will have a problem getting a decent picture before the weekend due to it being dark by the time I get home. It is raining every day now so I have been caging it to work this week.

Wow... is the horn mounted in a different spot on the later models than the earlier (carb'd) models?? My factory horn location is on the lower tripple clamp...

Mike

I just installed one myself, GREAT HORN!

I put it under the gas tank mounted against the frame where the shock mounts. (If you look in the manual it's where the evap can goes if you have a Cali. bike.)

How did you mount the horn against the frame? Got any photos??

I just installed one myself, GREAT HORN!

I put it under the gas tank mounted against the frame where the shock mounts. (If you look in the manual it's where the evap can goes if you have a Cali. bike.)

How did you mount the horn against the frame? Got any photos??

Hose clamp, works great. I was going to drill and tap a hole in the frame but this was easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep reading that these horns need to be mounted in a fairly vertical position. Did the "L" bracket allow the horn to be in that vertical position?

I keep reading that these horns need to be mounted in a fairly vertical position. Did the "L" bracket allow the horn to be in that vertical position?

Sent you a PM Bill but to answer your question........Yes

• 1 year later...

I have done too much friggin' work to John's bike !! The Laser Jammer, the horn, the rear shock, something with the radar and the audio system, and I forget what the hell else I've done. Oh, the kill switch lanyard too.

It took an old thread for my memory to jog with that subject.

I have done too much friggin' work to John's bike !! The Laser Jammer, the horn, the rear shock, something with the radar and the audio system, and I forget what the hell else I've done. Oh, the kill switch lanyard too.

It took an old thread for my memory to jog with that subject.

Are you BITCH'N or BRAG'N

Don't forget the 550 Zumo GPS

You didn't do the radar or the Audio system but did add the Buss Bar to tidy things up !

:-)

• 2 months later...

So, for the older carb'd models, how are they being mounted? I got lost when someone mentioned the hose clamp. Do we have pics or any other visual queues you guys can help with? John, what did you put in that PM (you secretive fella you).

So, for the older carb'd models, how are they being mounted? I got lost when someone mentioned the hose clamp. Do we have pics or any other visual queues you guys can help with? John, what did you put in that PM (you secretive fella you).

Mikey,

The best place for the carbie birds is under the tank...............see pete from pas pix earlier this thread.

cheers