CBR1100XX.org Forum

rectifier plug config

Dotetcher

I replaced the stator on my '97 a year and a half ago with the higher output stator made for the later year birds. I also replaced the rectifier with an aftermarket rectifier specifically for the '97 which has recently fried itself. I would like to replace the rectifier with one made for the higher output stator for the later model birds but am wondering how much different the plug config will be from the older wireharness to the plug config on the newer recifier. This making sense? Anyway some input would be appreciated. Thanks guys and girls.

OK. Next quesstions. Who's running a R1 or later model rectifier where the plug configuration is different than the stock '97 configuration. How'd you go about it?

Thanks,

Skip

Here's a good write uo on the R1 swap. I believe the R1 is a direct wire for wire matchup with a carbed 'Bird except that Yamaha uses white wires where Honda uses Yellow

Swapping an R1 Rectifier to the Blackbird

OK. Next quesstions. Who's running a R1 or later model rectifier where the plug configuration is different than the stock '97 configuration. How'd you go about it?

Thanks,

Skip

Here's a good write uo on the R1 swap. I believe the R1 is a direct wire for wire matchup with a carbed 'Bird except that Yamaha uses white wires where Honda uses Yellow

Swapping an R1 Rectifier to the Blackbird

Thanks man.

I wired the later (03?) rectifier into my 97. Removed the plug, since it was toast.

The plugs will not plug into each other. I left myself a bit of loom as a spare in case I needed to remove it for any reason. The 03 loom had plenty of length.

I am not 100% sure but i think there are 3 versions of regulators out there...97 style 99style with wire coming out of the unit itself and the 03 version which is an improved version of the 97 style.I can only speak first hand for the 97-98 style and the style from the 99...i tried to make the 99 work in my bike but was not successful...the reg is now running furbirds bike so I can confirm it is a working unit.

correct me if i am wrong...

97-? has no harness, just a plug on the unit itself.

There is a redesigned 97-? with a heatsinked case, which I understand, solves the problem.

A replacement pigtail with 6-12" worth of wire is available from Honda to repair a bike whose connector has failed (mine did)

Just some more info for the files.

There is a redesigned 97-? with a heatsinked case, which I understand, solves the problem.

yea thats what I thought but only saw an 03 close up one time...never saw the Reg/Rec...i think thats why the R1 unit works so well...that and its a steady 13v unit...

FWIW I think that the R/R after 03 is different as well, the wires are longer as they changed the R/R to the other side of the bike and it is also more $ :icon_think:

I bought a used '97 XX a few months ago with 22k miles on the clock. After reading here I figured I would be installing the R1 rectifier before I embarked on any trips next Spring. Well I have my rear bodywork off this week and noticed that my R/R is gray and finned like the one shown in this picture that I took from the how to page. So is it safe to assume that all the stock R/Rs on 1997 models looked like the small non-finned unit on the left? [And that mine has already been replaced.] I am thinking that maybe the stock R/R doesn't last 22k miles or 9 years anyway, so they had to replace it... Thanks.

[attachmentid=4596]

post-3748-1161982053_thumb.jpg