CBR1100XX.org Forum

changing the cct

scubajohn

EASY! I did it this past weekend. Remove the right lower fairing, unscrew the 2 mounting bolts for the CCT, remove it, put the new one in(with new gasket), reinstall the 2 bolts, pull out the key, transfer the cap bolt and washer, replace the fairing and ENJOY! World of difference.

ok here is the dirty step by step.

1. remove right lower fairing.

2. located the CCT on right side of motor casing.

3. undo the two allen head bolts holding the CCT to the motor.

4. Before removing CCT look at the orentation (sp?) of the CCT on the motor. It can only go on one way but its always best to know what your looking at before hand.

5. remove CCT.

6. Carefully scape old gasket material from motor casing. Be careful not to gouge the casing while doing this.

7. prepare new CCT with gasket and new mounting bolts.

8. place new CCT in mounting hole.

9. tighten bolts firmly ( you may use loc-tite if you prefer)

10. reease the metal screw in the top of the CCT

11. transfer the screw cap and washer from the old one to the new one

12. replace fairing.

• 3 weeks later...

:grin:

DONE, me too. Easy enough. Especially since the X-11 CCT that Joe provided me included that fancy little Honda key!

Seems to ride smoother for a run to the gas station and back, we'll see for sure in the morning.

If I can do it, you can too! :wink:

I did my change to a X-11 CCT, thanks Joe!

Being the curious sort I took the old one apart.

Interesting device. I tried to wind the spring further, but even takeing it as far as it goes it's not as tight as the X-11 one. It also has a little more throw so it will still keep a stretched chain tight longer.

My chain seems fine, the tensioner only turns 1 1/2 turns before it stops, I think the max was 5 turns.

I like my homemade key better, per the manual, It has more area to grip where your fingers go.

Hi XXers,

How do you know when you need a new CCT? Is there a noticeable vibration difference? When?

I am nearing the end of my 1 year warranty on my bike and have over 16,000 km. Any suggestions on what to look for that may be covered under the warranty?

Thanks ofr any info.

TimXX

How do you know when you need a new CCT?

I don't think I needed a new cct but I figured it couldn't hurt putting a new one in either, now it is noticeably quieter so I am pleased with that.... :grin:

X-11 cct Via Rockmeupto125 :cycle:

TimXX,

You'll know when the CCT needs changing by the sound. It usually starts out as a slight ticking sound at around 4000rpm and usually goes away around 55-6000rpm. It then changes to more of a "marbles in the engine" sound at the same rpm range. Then it starts a kind of random clunk at an idle + the "marbles" sound in the same range. At least that's what my first one did.....

My second (which I thought was an X-11, but not 100% sure) is starting the process all over again after about 10k.

Some would argue that it doesn't really need changing at this point, but I personally don't like hearing that racket coming from my bike.

That link that Ronnie posted is too funny. It was starting to give me a headache reading it, though. I tend to try to translate in my head, and it's just too much for these last remaining brain cells this late in the day. The whole thing made the process seem waaaay harder than it really is.

Hi XXers,

I don't get a marbles sound. Guess my CCT is fine even after 16,000 km. Does the 2002 model have the X-11?

However, since new, the bike has a howl when coming off throttle at 3-4,000 rpm. Goes away when I accelerate and then comes back when I roll off. Sounds like the gears. It's not very loud, but it is noticeable.

Do the rest of you get this too? If it is not "normal" now is the time to let me know- my 1 year warranty expires in November.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, it sounds like your a paranoid anal retentive like me. :cool: I'd make an appt. at the dealer to have them check out every little worry you may have. This way it's all documented. If something goes bad down the road hopefully the documentation and the lack of the dealers ability to find the problem will lead to free repairs.

The above advice is worth what you payed for it. Send me a cashiers check for $0 and we'll be square.

changed my cct to the x11.

i have a sound emitting from that area, in 3rd gear between 3500 and 5000 rpm only when accelerating between those ranges after a deceleration - it's like a winding up whine alternator sound.

the 2 may be unrelated, but has anybody experienced this?

is this a bad sound? or let's say, since i have a better CCT in my machine now, it's a good sound?

• 8 months later...

Heh! That's a computerized (Altavista) translation from a japanese site I found... glad to see a link to my site!

I suppose I could update (or remove) the text, but... just for fun, here's the original in Japanese:

http://www.exodus-dev.com/teletactics/pers...ap_jp/tent.html

Here's the original location:

http://home.att.ne.jp/blue/kobefuture/rxi/.../tent/tent.html

-Mike