CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cleaning Brake Rotors

ActionStarCBRxx

My front rotors appear to be pretty glazed. (very shinny almost mirror like reflection with smeared irregularities) I use the brake cleaner on them to remove dirt and stuff, but still see the glazing.

In a car, you could take the rotors in and have the turned. What does one do for the bike rotors? I don't have deep grooves etched in the rotors... so I think they are still good.

The bike stops decently... its not as strong as it was. I was going to do drain/replace the brake fluid and bleed the brakes. While there, I thought it I would address the rotors.

Any thoughts? :icon_shifty:

Just ride the damn thing in the rain .That will take care of crap on your rotors.After decent shower brakes work so much better.Never cleaned brakes on XX.But plenty of times on track bike.It is just tough to brake in pads on the race track.Plus there is plenty of rubber flying around and everyone lubricates his chain very well in order to get extra 0.9873528 hp.Had to deglaze them couple of times.800 wet sand paper and brake parts cleaner worked for me.

First off...don't use brake cleaner. It leaves a residue on your rotors plus it's very bad to get on the brake pads.

The soapy water is a better solution.

For de-glazing....

the tool

instructions on use

If you do the rotor hone...you should also take you pads out and sand them flat again. Use a piece of glass to put the sandpaper on and rub the pad on the sandpaper to get a flat surface. Then put them back on a follow normal break-in procedure. This will allows the whole surface of the pad to contact the rotor again.

First off...don't use brake cleaner. It leaves a residue on your rotors plus it's very bad to get on the brake pads.

I just heard that lately but I have been using brake cleaner on car rotors for about 30 years with no ill affect, so.............

Yeah, ANYWAY. :icon_confused: It's brake cleaner BECAUSE it leaves no residue.

If you think it leaves residue use electrical contact cleaner.

I just removed my rotors and used a sanding disc on my drill. worked for me.

I just heard that lately but I have been using brake cleaner on car rotors for about 30 years with no ill affect, so.............

I'm just saying....don't get the brake cleaner on the brake pads. It's ok on the rotors. I just don't use it because I normally don't remove the rotors from the bike.

here's my ride...

IPB Image

IPB Image

The EZ method :icon_cool: of cleaning rotors:

Do this with rotors cool obviously :icon_eek: Wet the rotors and calipers with garden hose. Sprinkle Ajax or Comet powdered cleanser on them to lightly coat the rotor surface. VERY CAREFULLY and slowly ride the bike around the block while lightly applying and releasing the brakes. Don't let the brakes build up any heat. If they are working much, you are going too fast. :icon_naughty: Return to driveway and throughly rinse and wipe off the rotors and calipers. Stops squeaks, squeals, and makes the brakes generally work better. Taking an old toothbrush and scrubbing out the caliper and brake pads where you can get to them also helps some.

For de-glazing....

the tool

instructions on use

If you do the rotor hone...you should also take you pads out and sand them flat again. Use a piece of glass to put the sandpaper on and rub the pad on the sandpaper to get a flat surface. Then put them back on a follow normal break-in procedure. This will allows the whole surface of the pad to contact the rotor again.

Never saw this before. Thanks for sharing it! :icon_clap:

Thanks for all the tips. I love how there are so many ways to achieve the results. Its all a matter of preference, and how much time you can invest and how you want it to be when your done.

How I saw the boys in the AMA doing it.

I tried it and did nor like it so well but it worked. It kinda wallowed out around the holes a little and it took some time to wear that back in.

post-2621-1159276771_thumb.jpg