CBR1100XX.org Forum

driveway sunk

rossh

i am a new member already joined but haven't picked up my 2001 cherry redbird. after KATRINA i found that my driveway has sunk down about 2" from where it meets my slab.the CFO's cage drags when she pulls in.was wondering if i could glue paving stones directly to the cement?

The CFO's cage drags?? :icon_think: Not sure why the Chief Financial Officer's car couldn't clear 2 inches w/o scrapping. What kind of vehicle is it? Something low profile? Ferrari maybe??

Huh, when you mean glue paving stones to the cement, I'm assuming you mean mortar them to the driveway and not actually using "glue". Don't know how that would look if you stuck paving stones where the gap is. This is quite an issue. Damn Katrina! Other than ripping out the entire drive way and repouring it, it might be best just to leave the 2" drop and get an SUV/truck that can clear the gap w/o scrapping. The only thing that might be halfway decent is to pour some concrete to act as a mini ramp up to the slab/garage but not sure how that would turn out. Post a picture so we can see what you're talking about.

Steve

The are companies that specialize in raising concrete. The bore a couple holes in the slab and pump a thick mortar under the slab to raise it. A local place advertises that most job cost less that $300.

Here is a national company.

http://www.crc1.com/index2.html

That's pretty cool ...never heard of that being done before. The only thing is would they have to raise the entire driveway or only to the first control break? Guess we won't know unless he posts a pic.

There's 2 types of Mud Jacking systems out there.....

1 uses a thin Mortar typ liquid to raise the slab Hydrolicly.

The other uses an Expandable Foam liquid

Both work, and will lift the entire slab if needed.... or they can lift any parts in varying degrees, Like the Garage side 2" and the side walk 1".... etc.

The Mortar pump has to drill larger holes....

But I think the Foam units fill the voids under the slab better as they do them in Lifts.

I've had experience with both... out on the Roadway..... even carrying semi tractor trailer traffic. They both work. But the Foam slab did eventually give way under the Semi Tailers whereas the Mortar slab did not. (but there's alot more to that story..... so don't worry about your driveway.... unless you let Concrete trucks rutinely turn around on your pad.)

There's 2 types of Mud Jacking systems out there.....

1 uses a thin Mortar typ liquid to raise the slab Hydrolicly.

The other uses an Expandable Foam liquid

Both work, and will lift the entire slab if needed.... or they can lift any parts in varying degrees, Like the Garage side 2" and the side walk 1".... etc.

The Mortar pump has to drill larger holes....

But I think the Foam units fill the voids under the slab better as they do them in Lifts.

I've had experience with both... out on the Roadway..... even carrying semi tractor trailer traffic. They both work. But the Foam slab did eventually give way under the Semi Tailers whereas the Mortar slab did not. (but there's alot more to that story..... so don't worry about your driveway.... unless you let Concrete trucks rutinely turn around on your pad.)

Do you think it's worth going thru all that expense for a driveway?

He can get the paving stones and some epoxy and glue them up. Or better yet, I'd get some cold patch, wait for a hot day when the sun is hitting good and build the transition to allow for smooth driving.

And he'll get some from his CEO that same night after doing it all by himself !!!!

He can get the paving stones and some epoxy and glue them up. Or better yet, I'd get some cold patch, wait for a hot day when the sun is hitting good and build the transition to allow for smooth driving.

And he'll get some from his CEO that same night after doing it all by himself !!!!

Well... yes.

Doing a complete R&R... would run around $7.25 per square foot ... around here.

Covering the entire area with epoxy and paving stones could be even more or just slightly less... depending on the quality and desired outcome

Cold patching never looks right in my opinion, and always looks like a bandade... which would possibly devaluate the house.

So ... yes... at about $1.50 - $3.00 a square foot.... mud jacking is cheap, fast and relatively painless, and astetically pleasant.

Well... yes.

Doing a complete R&R... would run around $7.25 per square foot ... around here.

Covering the entire area with epoxy and paving stones could be even more or just slightly less... depending on the quality and desired outcome

Cold patching never looks right in my opinion, and always looks like a bandade... which would possibly devaluate the house.

So ... yes... at about $1.50 - $3.00 a square foot.... mud jacking is cheap, fast and relatively painless, and astetically pleasant.

thanks for the suggestions guys jacking sounds to be a good option however down here in NOLA it is hard to get anyone out to work esp with FEMA dumping our tax money everywhere.btw CFO drives a mustang.maybe the thing to do is wait until FEMA stops paying inflated prices then find someone to do the jacking thing.