CBR1100XX.org Forum

Issues with Chain Replacement

Ridendead1

A local bike shop put a heavy duty chain - a race chain - on my Bird. I am now seeing metal filings on my center stand (mixed into the excess chain lube). Since this is my first replacement chain, and it is a higher guage chain, should I be worried?

You might look and see what chain they actually put on. The Bird takes about the strongest chain made. Look at the side plates of the chain.

The rear sprocket may not be aligned properly.

"Race" chains have no o-rings. If this is what you have you need more lube for longevity such as an auto-oiler. They are not made to last long, they just have he least amount of friction for mo' powa :icon_wink:

Or something is out of alignment and grinding away at the sprockets :icon_wink:

Everything said above is true from what I have recently read. The 530's supplied with hte bird is the heaviest and biggesr made.

Also, aluminum sorockets are crap for birds. I have 19,000 on my OEM and it is showing NO WEAR. I am replacing my chain right now, but as I am looking into it, I do not think my sprockets need replacing.

Everything said above is true from what I have recently read. The 530's supplied with hte bird is the heaviest and biggesr made.

Also, aluminum sorockets are crap for birds. I have 19,000 on my OEM and it is showing NO WEAR. I am replacing my chain right now, but as I am looking into it, I do not think my sprockets need replacing.

For what it's worth, the owner's manual suggests new sprockets with a new chain. However this can be expensive. I'm on my third chain, DID Gold, and sprocket set, (OEM), and the rear sprocket was ok but I changed it anyway. 100,000 kms. 3rd, CCT

Check the front, just to make sure.

I got 19.5k miles on my chain and sprockets (stockers)

Front and rear sprockets show vertually no wear or hooking or anything :icon_eek: Only visual wear is the paint on them worn off where the chain touches them.

Chain will be replaced this winter along with some new brake pads.

That is where I am really. I went on and put the new rear on last night since I had it off. Took the chain off (promotion chain tool works GREAT BTW) and will tackle front sprocket tonight or tomorrow. I will take pics of rear and maybe front this weekend to show how little wear there is.

I do not see anywhere in manual that shows R&R of drive sprocket. Can anyone help?I need torque values

mostly, but it would be nice to know whether or not there are any reverse threads there!

Easier with a paper manual

Rear wheel/ suspension section driven sprocket torque 108N-m or 80 lbf-ft.

Engine removal/ installation section. Drive sprocket 54n-m 40 lbf-ft.

No reverse threads, but loosen drive sprocket before breaking chain. Use 6 point sockets.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on not going aluminum.

I ordered what I thought was steel front and rear.

The rear was aluminum.

The gear was unfit for use after 9,300 miles (took a cross-country trip). It also damaged the front sprocket which was steel.

I sent them back. Pointed out the error on the sales page to the company that sold them to me (extremebikecustoms), and they passed it off the the manufacturer (drivenUSA).

The manufacturer said they didn't see any defect in the product (well, duh). I pointed out to them that the failure was likely because the retailer sold me the wrong part and that I was disappointed that they were expecting the manufacturer to pick up the tab.

They say they'll send me replacement steel front and rear sprockets for free rather than have a dissatisfied customer. Haven't got them yet. I'm glad they did something, but it really wasn't their job since it was the retailer who messed up.

I don't know if I'll use the freebies or not. I'm not sure I want to gamble another $130+ chain on sprockets that are unproven to me.