CBR1100XX.org Forum

Running with the high beams on?

Mikesblackbird

Guest rockmeupto125

You shouldn't.

All I see as you approach is a glare of light. I can't even tell if its a motorycle. I can't see your turn signals, whether you're distracted and looking the other way, in danger of losing control, or flipping me off. I can't see the initiation of avoidance manouvers you may make for potholes, pets, or exhaust parts in the road. Hell, I can't see clearly within 8 feet of you.

Do yourself a favor and run with low beams. You'll still get noticed...and as a plus, you'll be both seen and not incurring the hatred and potential visitation of oncoming folks who in truth, can't really see you.

You shouldn't.

All I see as you approach is a glare of light. I can't even tell if its a motorycle. I can't see your turn signals, whether you're distracted and looking the other way, in danger of losing control, or flipping me off. I can't see the initiation of avoidance manouvers you may make for potholes, pets, or exhaust parts in the road. Hell, I can't see clearly within 8 feet of you.

Do yourself a favor and run with low beams. You'll still get noticed...and as a plus, you'll be both seen and not incurring the hatred and potential visitation of oncoming folks who in truth, can't really see you.

Thanks. Got it and will use low beam only.

You shouldn't.

Well good for you.....

Now do you think you could pass that on to all your dumbass cousins that I see riding around.... :icon_stickpoke::icon_razz:

You shouldn't.

Texas Department of Public Safety disagrees:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/standout.htm

As does the Illinois DOT:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publicat...s/dsd_x1405.pdf

Washington State:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/mcmanual.pdf

In fact, the suggestion to use high-beams on motorcycles shows up in just about every state driver's manual or manual supplement for motorcycles that has embraced the Motorcycle Safety Institute's rider safety program and/or NHTSA guidelines based on the 1981 "Hurt" study.

Speaking of MSF... Here's just one reference:

MSF also notes, "• Using the high beam of a motorcycle’s headlight during the day also helps to prevent violations of the motorcyclist’s right-of-way (Hurt, 1981)."

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/ped...cycle49-50.html

Even the rags like Motorcyclist on line suggest high-beam use during the day, although they add a note that suggests dimming it when you're sitting behind someone at a traffic light:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/12...le_riding_tips/

Now, admittedly, the Hurt study was conducted before there was any such thing as Halogen or HID headlights. So, in some respects, the answer to this particular question now becomes subjective. After all, a stock XX with it's OEM highlights won't be as bright as one that has installed super-white 55W bulbs like the Phillips SilverStar ones mentioned in anther current post. If you've put in 100W PIAA bulbs or modified your bike to run HID it also becomes a different story. I note that the Kawa ZX14 Ninja claims to have the brightest headlight display of any stock motorcycle. So, at the end of the day the answer becomes, "it depends".

Me, as you might suspect, I tend to run my high-beams in certain, but not all day time situations. I put them on when I approach intersections, or when I'm running on roads with lots of driveways or intersections where cars might pull out, and flip them on when ever I even suspect a motorist may not see me.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a slighly different view and provide some references that suggest this is not necessarily a simple question to answer.

You shouldn't.

Well good for you.....

Now do you think you could pass that on to all your dumbass cousins that I see riding around.... :icon_stickpoke::icon_razz:

I don't think I have any cousins who still ride, but I'll check.

Guest rockmeupto125

There's different viewpoints, to be sure. And my sig line, while some may consider humorous, was carefully chosen and worded.

Those same manuals and the vehicle codes they co-exist with probably remark that one should only pass where its permitted (ie striped centerlines), ride the speed limit or slower, and when riding in groups, pass other vehicles one complete pass at a time. Do you give credit to those statements as well?

I'm sure the manuals and guides were written in good faith, but that doesn't mean I have to believe them.

The incidents that formed my previously voiced opinion all occurred in areas with steady traffic, both in town and out of town. Every time that occured, it was necessary for me to block the light with my hand in order to be able to adequately see those things I needed to see closer to my vehicle....which may have included pets, children of mentally deficient parents, or huge potholes in the road (this IS Pennsylvania). In sparse rural areas, it might indeed be more appropriate to run high beams in daylight. Regardless, I believe that reducing another's ability to see ONLY in the interest of increasing your own index of visibility, despite any ironclad evidence that blinding oncoming motorists saves lives, is irresponsible and stupid.

Headlight modulators are kick-ass, however. :icon_biggrin:

The ancient rule is to use high beams. This rule was created when headlamps used a basic chrome bowl and a 35w tungsten filament bulb. Today's headlight output is many times higher, and this no longer makes sense.

I noticed a few years ago that people were turning left in front of me kind of often, or pulling out in front of me. I switched to low beam after having someone on a XX riding behind me, and noticing that I was fucking blind, and could not tell how far he was. You can't look straight at a XX with high beam on. So I think it's blinding people and making HARDER for them to judge distance.

There's different viewpoints, to be sure. And my sig line, while some may consider humorous, was carefully chosen and worded.

Those same manuals and the vehicle codes they co-exist with probably remark that one should only pass where its permitted (ie striped centerlines), ride the speed limit or slower, and when riding in groups, pass other vehicles one complete pass at a time. Do you give credit to those statements as well?

I'm sure the manuals and guides were written in good faith, but that doesn't mean I have to believe them.

The incidents that formed my previously voiced opinion all occurred in areas with steady traffic, both in town and out of town. Every time that occured, it was necessary for me to block the light with my hand in order to be able to adequately see those things I needed to see closer to my vehicle....which may have included pets, children of mentally deficient parents, or huge potholes in the road (this IS Pennsylvania). In sparse rural areas, it might indeed be more appropriate to run high beams in daylight. Regardless, I believe that reducing another's ability to see ONLY in the interest of increasing your own index of visibility, despite any ironclad evidence that blinding oncoming motorists saves lives, is irresponsible and stupid.

Headlight modulators are kick-ass, however. :icon_biggrin:

+1

The ancient rule is to use high beams. This rule was created when headlamps used a basic chrome bowl and a 35w tungsten filament bulb. Today's headlight output is many times higher, and this no longer makes sense.

I noticed a few years ago that people were turning left in front of me kind of often, or pulling out in front of me. I switched to low beam after having someone on a XX riding behind me, and noticing that I was fucking blind, and could not tell how far he was. You can't look straight at a XX with high beam on. So I think it's blinding people and making HARDER for them to judge distance.

+1

I also have bene taught to ride the high beam on, but like others have said the low beam is rather intense already and sufficient.

Plus the couple of times I have ridden with it on during the day on the freeway, I actually had more people cut me off, then when I closed in a car I found the high beam actually was over his roof.

I ride with nothing but low beam, unless at night with no oncoming trfc.

Me, as you might suspect, I tend to run my high-beams in certain, but not all day time situations. I put them on when I approach intersections, or when I'm running on roads with lots of driveways or intersections where cars might pull out, and flip them on when ever I even suspect a motorist may not see me.

Very bad habit... cars may think you are signaling them to go ahead and turn or pull out. Just run your brights. The only time I dim mine are if I'm behind another bike. Cages get the full HID effect.

Guest rockmeupto125

Agreed. As a frequent flier in group rides, some of the lights you guys use are simply brutal. And that's a point that I forgot, as Swampnut noted.....judgement of distance is more difficult with this situation, in my experience.

Lanesplitting is a whole different ball game from what we're discussing. In that case, visibility is vital, and the presentation to the drivers affected is quite different.

I like my modulator. The Bird high beam is very cool and lights up the road at night better than any other bike I've had. But during daylight, your eyes are dilated anyway so the impact to the oncoming drivers is not too much although I agree that once you get close enough and gawk at it it could leave some spots. I like the modulator because it adds "activity" and catches their collective attentions. "What the hell is that flashing up there? A cop?" I seem to notice bikes with modulators more readily anyway. Same idea with bicyclers and the flashy LED taillights. No, it's not bright but it catches your attention.