CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dead Bird

dunedain

I think I have an RR gone on the XX (98) and ended up w/ a dead battery.

Went to jump start it (as it was flat) and fookin reversed the cables +- and -+ then turned it on. :icon_wall:

Naturally nothin! No light not even a glimpse of life in the eletrical system.

SO what did I blow? I pulled all the fuses and they were all good.

Battery?

Relay?

ECU?

Some remote fusable link?

I know no one on here has ever done this but if you have any ideas post up. Thanks in advance!

The heat index was well over a hundered and I was dehydrated....oh and the sun was in my eyes are my excuses.

Went to jump start it (as it was flat) and fookin reversed the cables +- and -+ then turned it on. :icon_wall:

Battery?

Relay?

ECU?

I know no one on here has ever done this but if you have any ideas post up. Thanks in advance!

The heat index was well over a hundered and I was dehydrated....oh and the sun was in my eyes are my excuses.

I would first try to determine the state of the battery by disconnecting the battery from the bike and with a digital VM check to see if you reversed the polarity of the battery. And if so completely drain it with some sort a 12v load a simple incadesent bulb will do fine. Re-charge the battery (properly) and have it tested if possible and put it back in your Bird. Then we will try to help you move forward……

Battery?

Relay?

ECU?

if your battery was completely dead then it is unlikely you have damaged anything although it would depend on how much energy the jumper source had, there are two main fuses on my bird (99) just to the left of the tank rear, these will kill eveything if gone, not sure of location on a 98

I've got a 98 also and there is only 1 main fuse (a 30 amp) that is hidden under the main fusebox. you have to remove the tail cowl to access it.

What did you use to jump it?

If your RR wasn't dead it is now along with possibly a lot of more $$$ things. Good luck, keep us posted.

I've got a 98 also and there is only 1 main fuse (a 30 amp) that is hidden under the main fusebox. you have to remove the tail cowl to access it.

What did you use to jump it?

If your RR wasn't dead it is now along with possibly a lot of more $$$ things. Good luck, keep us posted.

The 30 amp fuse you mentioned is OK

I would first try to determine the state of the battery by disconnecting the battery from the bike and with a digital VM check to see if you reversed the polarity of the battery. And if so completely drain it with some sort a 12v load a simple incadesent bulb will do fine. Re-charge the battery (properly) and have it tested if possible and put it back in your Bird. Then we will try to help you move forward……

I would not have thought that possible but I guess the earth changes poles every 150,000 years or so. Not it though. Proper polarity but only 11.78v. It's on the tender to see if I can get it back up.

Continuity checks through the system so far are OK. Will look at the RR tonight then start taking the rest of the bike apart.

hanks for advice!

I would not have thought that possible but I guess the earth changes poles every 150,000 years or so. Not it though. Proper polarity but only 11.78v. It's on the tender to see if I can get it back up.

Continuity checks through the system so far are OK. Will look at the RR tonight then start taking the rest of the bike apart.

hanks for advice!

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, is don't dick around with a bad battery. Just because it starts your bike, does not mean it's good. It could be sucking the life out of your electrical system. If it doesn't come back to max, replace it. If it's 4 yrs+ old, replace it. It's not worth it. It's the leading cause of RR and stator failure.

In the future, do not jump a completly dead battery and charge it up in the bike. Sure way to burn up your stator.

By the way. Something doesn't sound right. as soon as you got near the wrong poles with another battery, there should have been sparks flying everywhere, and you would not have had the chance to turn it on.

Just to make it clear and I dont think it is relevant to what happened in this post, it is possible to reverse charge a battery but it has to be dead flat before you can do it.

I saw it done as a practical joke many years ago and yes it had the guy scratching his head for a long time. You then fix it by putting a bulb across the battery and reapeat the process the right way when it is dead flat again.

If your battery was dead you could probably hook one up the wrong way without seeing too many sparks but it would get very expensive.

JohnS

Battery?

Relay?

ECU?

OK, if you have put a battery in the bike that has some sort of charge and you are still not getting lights etc, then you have a main fuse gone somewhere, this I have no doubt, did you check the fuse I referred to in my post, it is to the left of the back of the tank where the RR feeds too, this has some heavy wires that go to the starter motor and also feed the battery from the charging circuit, there is a fuse in there, when your bike is electrially dead like you describe it should be very easy to find the problem, is there any heavy sparking when you try to connect the battery up, if not then this could be good, good luck hope you find it.

Aight then! I found a 30 amp fuse and it was fine but if you look at the picture you can see that there is another 30 amp fuse under that little pink rubber cover. It was shot. Replaced and we in the business.

Too early to tell if it fried anything else but everything seems to run and work fine so I'm calling it good.

Moral:

If you jump start your battery backwards (due to ......uh the sun being in your eyes) then the fuse under the pink rubber cover under your tail section is the place that pops first fuse.

post-2621-1156022798_thumb.jpg

post-2621-1156022834_thumb.jpg

Well done, but 10 days of the road because of a hidden fucking fuse sucks...

:icon_wall: :icon_wall:

Well 10 days off the XX for sure but I took my time getting to it as my stable is fair sized!

I got a Mille R which quite truthfully is way more fun to ride. A ZX-6R not street legal but I ride it anyway. My oldest has an R6 I steal from time to time and I have a Norton thats about to go under the knife but it's good for a run to the store and back.

Plus after 8000 street miles I was ready for some dirt riding so the YZ's been getting it's exercise!

LIFE IS GOOD!

Aight then! I found a 30 amp fuse and it was fine but if you look at the picture you can see that there is another 30 amp fuse under that little pink rubber cover. It was shot. Replaced and we in the business.

Too early to tell if it fried anything else but everything seems to run and work fine so I'm calling it good.

Moral:

If you jump start your battery backwards (due to ......uh the sun being in your eyes) then the fuse under the pink rubber cover under your tail section is the place that pops first fuse.

If you had read my posts I told you to check this one as I thought you overlooked it...............glad you got sorted