CBR1100XX.org Forum

frequency of oil changes

Canadian Bird

I do think the kind of driving you do makes a difference. My Corvette counts the number of starts, oil temps, miles, etc. and tells me when to change. Sometimes 4-5k sometimes 9k if there was a lot of freeway driving.

No No No! Don't listen to the manufacturer. What would they know. You have to change it every 500 miles. In the old bi-planes we used castor oil and you will glaze up the bore if you don't change it every ride. :icon_hand: :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sorry, :icon_redface: Getting a little caried away. :icon_shifty:

....In the old bi-planes we used castor oil and you will glaze up the bore if you don't change it every ride. ..

yeah, but if you remember this reccomendation was changed when the triplanes were all the rage.

Ah, those were the dayz... :icon_whistle:

Anyway, the acid neutralisers, detergents, VI improvers etc don't live for ever --- they are used up or expire!

Honda (or any manufacturer) would not sell as many bikes (or cars) if they reccomended 3K mile oil change periods and competitors 8K periods, would they?.

People nowadays are into 'maintenance-free' purchases.

....In the old bi-planes we used castor oil and you will glaze up the bore if you don't change it every ride. ..

yeah, but if you remember this reccomendation was changed when the triplanes were all the rage.

Ah, those were the dayz... :icon_whistle:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: Good one!

Anyway, the acid neutralisers, detergents, VI improvers etc don't live for ever --- they are used up or expire!

All true, but they do last far longer than the ridiculous distances some have mentioned. ...and the triplanes weren't built like the old biplanes. :icon_razz:

"Honda (or any manufacturer) would not sell as many bikes (or cars) if they reccomended 3K mile oil change periods and competitors 8K periods, would they?.

People nowadays are into 'maintenance-free' purchases"..................................................................

Just imagine if your automatic transmission had a drain plug and external screw on filter so you could easily change it every 10000 miles, you would NEVER need to replace it! :icon_eh:

"Honda (or any manufacturer) would not sell as many bikes (or cars) if they reccomended 3K mile oil change periods and competitors 8K periods, would they?.

People nowadays are into 'maintenance-free' purchases"..................................................................

Just imagine if your automatic transmission had a drain plug and external screw on filter so you could easily change it every 10000 miles, you would NEVER need to replace it! :icon_eh:

Valid point kf4mtw!

I would like to be able to change the Auto fluid occasionally. (Bloody stupid Automatic Transmissions, mumble, mumble :icon_wall: )

If you read the report that I posted... IN THE THREAD... you'll see that while you can't "hurt" the engine by changing it too much, you DEFINATELY cause substantially more wear by changing it too much!

I read it now, OK? I am no youngster and never had a oil related engine problem on any vehicle in my life. If it ain't broke....

PS-I did buy a chevy truck once (never again) and when I was changing the vavle cover gaskets, there must have been a full half inch of sludge in there. I guess the previous owner must have read your thread.

the SAE study doesn't say that your engine will blow up tomorrow if you change your oil every 500 miles, but it does say that engine wear is increased by something like 400% if you change every 1000 miles compared to 5000 miles... It just means it won't last as long, and when you're changing your oil (and burning your money) thinking you're making your vehicle last longer, you're really doing the opposite...

CSB engines (or most engines, for that matter) do sludge if they'd been overheated, repeatedly... The good thing about a CSB engine is that they're pretty much bullet-proof... They can be overheated repeatedly to astronomical temperatures (at least the iron/iron engines) and super-fuck the oil and everything else, and they still run like a champ... and can be sold to an unsuspecting victom who doesn't take 30 seconds to open the oil filler hole in the valve cover to see if this has happened... :icon_wall: But would you rather have an engine like most aluminum headed engines, that overheat once and blow the head gasket and cook all the valve seals, so you HAVE to replace everything on the top end, not just change the oil and call it good? If you're worried about an engine that sludges in this day and age, don't buy a dodge 4.7 or 2.7, or most of the larger engines made by Toyota 3-4 years ago... Althought hey recalled most of those, because, unlike the CSB, their oil return holes aren't large enough to make up for some sludge or deposits in the heads, and they basically ran the sumps dry and fucked the engine that way...

This information is NOT for oil made before 5-10 years ago... Older oil did suck, which is why you had to change it every 3000-5000 miles, and it did sludge if overheated... The oil itself wasn't as good, and the additive packages were virtually nonexistant in comparison to what you can use today... That's why you could always use car oil in a motorcycle with a wet clutch and it didn't matter, but now that the additive packages are so complex and huge, you should have different additive packages for wet clutches than not...

Mike

...Just imagine if your automatic transmission had a drain plug and external screw on filter so you could easily change it every 10000 miles, you would NEVER need to replace it! :icon_eh:

It does actually have a drain plug and I do change it regularly (supra mkiv)

...Just imagine if your automatic transmission had a drain plug and external screw on filter so you could easily change it every 10000 miles, you would NEVER need to replace it! :icon_eh:

It does actually have a drain plug and I do change it regularly (supra mkiv)

Little goody's like that is why Japan auto makers been kickin the Big-Three's Ass'es the last 30 years, engineering, tighter tolerances. They make it so the average person has to take their American Made Vehicle to the shop to change the tranny filter and fluid and recommend it around 30-50,000 miles? A few years back after you bought a new vehicle at around 100,000 miles you needed a tranny rebuild cause it was full of metal following their factory maintenance schedule. I always put a drainplug in my tranny pans so I could at least change some of the fluid every other oil change. No one is gonna convince me either that you can change any lubricant "Too Often" or that "New Oil" wears a motor more than Old Oil, that's pretty silly. :icon_duh: Every hour a motor runs is an hour of wear in the lubricant. :icon_rolleyes:

No one is gonna convince me either that you can change any lubricant "Too Often" or that "New Oil" wears a motor more than Old Oil, that's pretty silly. :icon_duh: Every hour a motor runs is an hour of wear in the lubricant. :icon_rolleyes:

OK! :icon_neutral:

No one is gonna convince me either that you can change any lubricant "Too Often" or that "New Oil" wears a motor more than Old Oil, that's pretty silly. :icon_duh: Every hour a motor runs is an hour of wear in the lubricant. :icon_rolleyes:

Just when I thought he was about done trolling around...

Mike

Slick-50!!! Now THAT will make the whole thing run smooooooth. -and more aerodynamic from the inside out! :icon_evilgrin:

I LOVE Slick 50. :icon_biggrin: If it didn't taste so bad I'd put that in my coffee insteada sugar!.

:icon_wink:

Just when I thought he was about done trolling around...

Mike

Isn't the internet wonderful? you can have your OPINION, I can have mine.............................This is just like Fox News, fair and balanced!............................ :icon_whistle: ................... :icon_wink:

"Every hour a motor runs is an hour of wear in the lubricant."

Sorry I forgot another 2cents:

An hour is an hour on the base oil BUT it would be my guess that there are additives that do not begin to work or protect until they have some temperature and pressure exerted on them. Sort of like baking a cake. try to frost one without sticking it in the oven for a bit! Again, this is a guess. Can anyone verify?

Still want to know if motorcycle specific oil is different than standard automotive oil with the exception of price?

"Every hour a motor runs is an hour of wear in the lubricant."

Sorry I forgot another 2cents:

An hour is an hour on the base oil BUT it would be my guess that there are additives that do not begin to work or protect until they have some temperature and pressure exerted on them. Sort of like baking a cake. try to frost one without sticking it in the oven for a bit! Again, this is a guess. Can anyone verify?

Still want to know if motorcycle specific oil is different than standard automotive oil with the exception of price?

That's exactly what the SAE report says... The oil itself will almost last forever (synthetics anyway), but it's the additive packages that get "used up" and, at least on synthetics, it takes the additive package ~1k miles of pressure and temperature to "activate" so to speak... I assume it's shorter for standard oils, maybe 500-750 miles, but it's still some time and temperature...

Really, the only difference between motorcycle oil and car oil is the "energy conserving" friction modifiers in it that make a wet clutch slip... Bikes with a dry clutch can use car oil without problems...

Mike

I disected some oil filters a while back a few times at 1000 miles. Valvoline oil looked a little cleaner in appearance than Honda oil did and it had more particles in the bottom of the drain pan after it settled! I been using Honda oil since. Note! I didn't reference any magazine article, or use any statements from anyone trying to sell something. :icon_biggrin:

I disected some oil filters a while back a few times at 1000 miles. Valvoline oil looked a little cleaner in appearance than Honda oil did and it had more particles in the bottom of the drain pan after it settled! I been using Honda oil since. Note! I didn't reference any magazine article, or use any statements from anyone trying to sell something. :icon_biggrin:

I know you're trolling, but I'll say it anyway...

1. it's not a mag article... it's a published test report... BIG difference.

2. The SAE doesn't try and sell anything... it's a group with membership, not a company that sells stuff... In fact, if they were selling anything associated with companies they work for, it would be selling to change your oil more often, because then they'd sell more oil...

Mike

I know you're trolling, but I'll say it anyway...

1. it's not a mag article... it's a published test report... BIG difference.

2. The SAE doesn't try and sell anything... it's a group with membership, not a company that sells stuff... In fact, if they were selling anything associated with companies they work for, it would be selling to change your oil more often, because then they'd sell more oil...

Mike

:icon_biggrin: I know you wouldn't have typed all this crap if you didn't love me. :icon_biggrin:

I think he is a pretty good fisherman !

:icon_biggrin: I gotta go to work, it's hard not to go after that one.........maybe.......... :icon_think: ...

she has such a nice gap between her legs though!..................I Like Pussy!.............but I need the money more. bye! :icon_wink: