CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Member needs any help available

vicsxx

Hey good people,

I'm a new member glad to be onboard. I bought a 2000 XX with 400 miles on it about a month ago. Was running beautifull until about lastweek. I was riding, (still babying the bike 'cause I know it had not even really been broken in yet), on a nice twisty back road here in MD when the bike began to loose power. It kept running but I could tell it gradually began to loose more power. When I pulled over the bike shut off and would not start again. She would turnover but wouldn't fire up. Took the bike to the shop. They say it hydrolocked, (injector stuck open dumping gas in the engine), My question is they want to charge me $1000 bucks to get her going again, that sounds a little steep to me, They want to change the fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel regulator, two oil changes, clean injectors, clean exhaust, change plugs...etc.. > I'm a pretty competent mechanic on cars , but never really worked on any bikes, I think I could do most of the work, but what is really neccessary to do to get my baby bird back in the twisty's

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Vic

Welcome, Vic

You're gonna get solid and common-sense based advice from the other knowledgeable wrenchers here for sure, they're a great bunch of guys who really know these 'Birds inside and out.

$1000 bucks for a 'Bird with 400 miles on it seems like a raping in the hugest way possible! - JMHO

Hope she's right soon, and stay safe!

Cheers,

Kevin

They want to clean the exhaust huh? I guessfor $1K, they'll be going through a lot of Q tips. Seriously though, if you are a competant wrench on cars and know FI decently , you can work on the bike just fine. If the bike were hydrolocked , it wouldn't turn over. You said it did. Change the oil and the plugs. Send the injectors out to be sonic cleaned and tested and then you should be good. I sure as hell would not swap out the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator as a precautionary measure.

They want to clean the exhaust huh? I guessfor $1K, they'll be going through a lot of Q tips. Seriously though, if you are a competant wrench on cars and know FI decently , you can work on the bike just fine. If the bike were hydrolocked , it wouldn't turn over. You said it did. Change the oil and the plugs. Send the injectors out to be sonic cleaned and tested and then you should be good. I sure as hell would not swap out the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator as a precautionary measure.

Pretty much a +1 on that... Do it yourself, and don't replace the pump or anything... The shop wasn't going to do it anyway, but they were sure as hell going to charge you for it!

Mike

It's not hydrolocked, if it was the motor would be locked up. It sounds electrical to me, may look into the stator or the regulator/rectifier.

I don't think I would let these grease monkeys touch my bird......... I would leave the serious stuff to Honda.

Good luck.

They want to change the fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel regulator, two oil changes, clean injectors, clean exhaust, change plugs...etc..

Basically, they don't know what the fuck they are bullshiting about. Do us a favor and ask them what "cleaning exhaust" entitles. It would be a great service to the community here in case we were missing something.

If you have a choice not to use them, make sure you do NOT spend a dime at that scumnest and also make sure that you stop by at the manager's office to let him/her know about it and why. :icon_evil:

Guest rockmeupto125

Hey good people,

I'm a new member glad to be onboard. I bought a 2000 XX with 400 miles on it about a month ago. Was running beautifull until about lastweek. I was riding, (still babying the bike 'cause I know it had not even really been broken in yet), on a nice twisty back road here in MD when the bike began to loose power. It kept running but I could tell it gradually began to loose more power. When I pulled over the bike shut off and would not start again. She would turnover but wouldn't fire up. Took the bike to the shop. They say it hydrolocked, (injector stuck open dumping gas in the engine), My question is they want to charge me $1000 bucks to get her going again, that sounds a little steep to me, They want to change the fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel regulator, two oil changes, clean injectors, clean exhaust, change plugs...etc.. > I'm a pretty competent mechanic on cars , but never really worked on any bikes, I think I could do most of the work, but what is really neccessary to do to get my baby bird back in the twisty's

Vic

Hello, Vic. Let's look at this situation. You scored a vitually unused XX, and now it don't work. You take it to the dealer like that, and they give you a diagnosis. Let's presume the dealership doesn't employ amoeba, and somebody in the back actually has a little bit of a clue. They look all over the bike, can't find anything obvious....but the oil smells like gas. Bingo. The rest of the story is easier to follow. Now...I can't see them coming up with this diagnosis unless the bike was torn apart (tank off) and they charged at least $100 for the estimate...cuz there's a lotta labor and thinkin' involved with this. If that weren't done, they're talking out their ass, and you need to consider other possibilities.

But, if they tore it down, and found a stuck injector, it all makes sense. And even if they made the diagnosis based on thin, gasoline-smelling oil, and the elimination of all other possibilities...it still makes sense. After all, we know this bike sat quite a bit, and has virtually no miles on it...so what could go bad? Well...the battery........and anything involving the fuel system....cuz gas can gum up. Oil soaked areas don't go bad with time, and electrical components don't go bad sitting in the garage.

So if the dealer is basically right and you've had an injector stick........it really didn't hydrolock. First of all, you could turn it over. And second of all, it takes a bit of time to fill up a cylinder with gas...time in which the exhaust valves would have to be closed all the time. The only time an engine really hydrolocks from gasoline is when it is sitting and a petcock is leaking. Continuing to assume the dealer is correct....you're driving along, an injector sticks open. First you foul that cylinder....which means you are running on three cylinder. Then the other cylinders don't work well as the fuel pressure is crap because of the stuck open injector. It might still run....but it might not.

If that's indeed the case......you know the fuel pump must work...and there's no reason to think the fuel and pressure regulators don't work. The injector is downstream from them. You need to replace that injector, or have it cleaned and be suspicious of it until it has a few miles on it. You'll need to change the plugs, obviously, and definately the oil....once before it restarts, and again a short amount of time later. The exhaust will clean itself.

Don't get all nervous because its a bike. If you know your way around a car, you can find your way around the bike. Its the same technologies, and the same principles of physics that make it work.

Based on the presentation you gave of the dealer's response...I'd get another estimate if you didn't plan to tackle it yourself. It sounds as though they'd simply like to sell you a bunch of stuff.

Sorry for long-winded. Hope it explained things.

Pretty much a +1 on that... Do it yourself, and don't replace the pump or anything... The shop wasn't going to do it anyway, but they were sure as hell going to charge you for it!

Mike

+2

If it was a stuck injector you would have smelled raw gas when it stopped. You're talking about a 6 yo bike with 400 mi on it. Take it home and dump the tank to look for rust or debris. Flush the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter. Check and or replace the plugs. Check the airbox for anything nesting in it. If you do have raw gas in the cylinders check for spark, if you have spark then check the injecters. You should do an oil change anyway.

I'm a pretty competent mechanic on cars , but never really worked on any bikes, I think I could do most of the work, but what is really neccessary to do to get my baby bird back in the twisty's

Vic,

Jump in there and start working on it! Don't be intimidated just because it's a bike and not a car. Pretty soon you'll ask yourself what you were worried about. Working on my bike is so much easier than my cars.

Also I agree with the previous comments - get the old gas out of there, get the injectors sonically cleaned.

BTW, anything rockmeupto125 says you can take to the bank.

I haven't tried it on the XX yet, but the way I check for a stuck injector on my cars is to listen to each injector with a mechanics stethoscope. When running they click when opening/closing.

I do look forward to most of Joe's tech responses. Having very little mechanical aptitude I enjoy reading his self proclaimed long winded responses. They always make sense.

I disagree... He told me he loved me, AND that he'd be gentle... Both of which ended up being lies :icon_angel::icon_evilgrin:

He was being gentle.

// Well another perfectly good thread, gone to shit. sigh.........

I disagree... He told me he loved me, AND that he'd be gentle... Both of which ended up being lies :icon_angel::icon_evilgrin:

He was being gentle.

// Well another perfectly good thread, gone to shit. sigh.........

:icon_lol: Couldn't pass it up though... :icon_angel:

Thanx alot guys... Like rockmeup says it makes sense now. After I pulled over and the bike stalled, I kept trying to start it to see if I could get any clue as to the problem and after a few times it did lock up,(which scared the shit out of me), but then after a minute or so it would turn over again. I'm going to go pick it up bring it home pull the tank, the airbox, the plugs and hit the start button and push whatever gas maybe in the cylinders out. They did do one oil change and said there was some gas in it. But again you guys have been alot of help thanx, I'm just pissed 'cause I ain't ridin'!!!!!! I'll let you know how it turned out.

I bought a 2000 XX with 400 miles on it about a month ago.

Hey Vic,

What's the story behind your new bike? How can someone have a sex machine like the XX and only ride it 400 miles in six years?

Hey Vic,

What's the story behind your new bike? How can someone have a sex machine like the XX and only ride it 400 miles in six years?

I'm not really sure Mrbad,

I bought it from a guy in Fla. who writes comic books for Marvel or something. He has alot of expensive toys but does little or nothing with them..i.e. Boats, a 76' Vette low milage etc. He had the bike in his living room. He says he bought it to cruise around on with his girlfriend but she didn't like the bike, so he pretty much parked it. I got it for a great price shipped it here to MD. I thought after sittting for such a long time that the bike might have a few kinks to iron out. But I love it. If you ask me, he sounded a little "bitchy" and we all know the "Bird" can be a beast that will bite, I think he got scared after feeling the power his right wrist can deliver to his ass! Happens to the best of them. All my Suzuki Busa buddies are drooling over my bird. At any rate his loss my gain!!!!

Thanx alot guys... Like rockmeup says it makes sense now. After I pulled over and the bike stalled, I kept trying to start it to see if I could get any clue as to the problem and after a few times it did lock up,(which scared the shit out of me), but then after a minute or so it would turn over again. I'm going to go pick it up bring it home pull the tank, the airbox, the plugs and hit the start button and push whatever gas maybe in the cylinders out. They did do one oil change and said there was some gas in it. But again you guys have been alot of help thanx, I'm just pissed 'cause I ain't ridin'!!!!!! I'll let you know how it turned out.

it really coul be as simple as a charging or electrical problem.........when you try to turn over does your dash lights dim.............anyway .... it's an engine and your a mechanic, don't even consider going back to the rip off merchants

Vic,

Welcome to the board.

I didn't see anyone mention the sticky threads in the Garage.

Check this one out and download. Not Automatic

You might want to post where you live. There are many bird owners around and most like to help.

Pull the plugs through the top. Your removing the tank anyway, so this is the easy way to do it.

I would see if only one plug is really wet, or if all are fouled. Do not crank the engine with the plugs out. I have seen people lose cars and boats and lives, when the gas came out of the cylinder and a plug wire arced over. If you want to check for spark, a clamp over timing light will work. Or get another plug and use it to verify spark with all the other plugs installed.

Post as you have questions. Joe's advice is always on. Some of us do basic service, most do much more.

Craig

Vic,

Welcome to the board.

You might want to post where you live. There are many bird owners around and most like to help.

Pull the plugs through the top. Your removing the tank anyway, so this is the easy way to do it.

I would see if only one plug is really wet, or if all are fouled. Do not crank the engine with the plugs out. I have seen people lose cars and boats and lives, when the gas came out of the cylinder and a plug wire arced over. If you want to check for spark, a clamp over timing light will work. Or get another plug and use it to verify spark with all the other plugs installed.

Post as you have questions. Joe's advice is always on. Some of us do basic service, most do much more.

Craig

Thanks for the link Red,

I'm in the Washington DC metro area of Maryland.

Vic,

Welcome to the board.

Craig

Thanks for the link Red,

Shit you're right around the corner. Get her going and meet us in Ephrata Pa Sunday :icon_wink:

You've got a dozen or so board member's living within two hours of you.

Also think about attending NEXXT, the NorthEast XX Tour. You can read more about it in the XX Rider Meetings Forum