CBR1100XX.org Forum

Halogen Headlight

KiwiCBR

Hi all,

Got the Bird out to head to work this morning and no low beam working :icon_mad: .

High beam still working fine so im guessing at this stage that the bulb has blown.

Now i know i should do the HID conversion but funds are tight so that has to wait.

I use my bike to get to and from work everyday and lots of night trips in the weekends so i need some decent

lights.

My question is what is the best replacement bulb for the bird?

The Haynes manual i have says the bird has a 55/55 W bulb, How high can i go before it starts creating havoc with the electrical system. I was thinking about replacing it with a 80/100 bulbs.

Anyone else done this?

Any reason why not to do this?

Cheers

Paul

Get a part time job for a weekend or two and buy at least one HID. Since you ride at night, you would think it worth it the very first time! The illumination is on the order of triple that of filament bulbs.

I have read many people on the board have gone up to 100W....be sure to use dielectric grease on the contacts.

I'm running 100W dim's with no side effects yet, Don'tk now if you guys get the same globes down there, but stay away from the Cool Blue bulbs. They are brighter but the spread of light really sucks bigtime. I saw better with the OEM bulbs than with those.

Sylvania Silver-Stars.... same wattage... nice and bright white. :icon_wink:

I think they are like $25 each.... but they are much brighter.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/A...nce/Silverstar/

I might have had some bad lock,but two Silvanias silver stars failed on my XX in a period of 5 weeks.I even wiped out my trusty multimeter to check out WTF was wrong with my bike.Nothing,went with Philips,so far so good.

BTW replacing bulbes on XX is a such PITA,dude how designed that section of the bike should be subject to severe ass kicking.

BTW replacing bulbes on XX is a such PITA,dude how designed that section of the bike should be subject to severe ass kicking.

The explanation in the manual sucks.

actually, its a very easy, one-handed operation, no tools required, you just have to squeeze the retaining clip and open it up, like a door. best to do it by feel and not try to get your eyeballs down in there. don't unscrew the clip hinge, it will take weeks to get it back on.

I ran 100w bulbs high and low for 30k miles with zero issues. As was said earlier, male sure your contacts are good, the only failures I've heard of related to this were at the plug adapter.

Guest rockmeupto125

I ran 100w bulbs high and low for 30k miles with zero issues. As was said earlier, male sure your contacts are good, the only failures I've heard of related to this were at the plug adapter.

No problem with the extra draw on the stator?

:icon_stickpoke: :icon_wave:

No problem with the extra draw on the stator?

:icon_stickpoke: :icon_wave:

I was responding mainly to Terry's concerns over melting plastic assemblies and such.

Yes, my stator went at 40k. Yes, the overwattage bulbs (bulb, actually, I rarely ran the high) probably contributed to that, along with a heated vest and other electrical doo-dads I'm fond of running. Am I sure of that? No. It's not like Honda charging systems are known for their bullet-proof nature. :icon_wink: