CBR1100XX.org Forum

Faulty clock

jackdeath

I have a 2000 w reg Bird and the clock on the dashboard isnt working correctly. When switch on the clock displays 01.00hrs AM and then whan the igniton is switched off the clock will reset to 01.00 again.

I have been told on another site that the fault is caused by a faulty reg/rec, surely there would be more problkems like lights flashig, battery not charging etc. The bike runs excellent and starts first time.

Any help would be appreciated!

That sounds like the clock isn't getting enough voltage. Bad connection somewhere in the harness or to the circuit board. It also could be your battery but I'm thinking you might have starting problems there. I would check all the connectors related to the dashboard for corrosion and the like. Are you sure it switches to the 1 am point when you first turn on the ignition? Or is it doing it when you thumb the starter button?

I think there is a separate fuse for just the clock or maybe the clock and some other gauges. It is quite common for corrosion to reach into those little mini fuse holders. Might want to pull the cover of the fuse box, there should be a label under there telling you which fuse is what. Remove and replace the fuse a couple of times and see if that improves things.

That sounds like the clock isn't getting enough voltage. Bad connection somewhere in the harness or to the circuit board. It also could be your battery but I'm thinking you might have starting problems there. I would check all the connectors related to the dashboard for corrosion and the like. Are you sure it switches to the 1 am point when you first turn on the ignition? Or is it doing it when you thumb the starter button?

I think there is a separate fuse for just the clock or maybe the clock and some other gauges. It is quite common for corrosion to reach into those little mini fuse holders. Might want to pull the cover of the fuse box, there should be a label under there telling you which fuse is what. Remove and replace the fuse a couple of times and see if that improves things.

I checked the fuse and connections appear to be ok,i will check wether it reset when I press the starter button.

Do you think a faulty or dying regulator/ rec could be causing this problem?v

I haven't had the problem yet, but I have read that a failing battery will cause this type of problem.

Poor connections will cause voltage drops, however the clock should not draw much current on it's own.

If you are concerned about the charging system try this procedure from the Important threads section of the garage.

Charging troubleshooting

Had the same issue with clock then it was FI light coming on.....

Check the search section for the "evil corroded plug end " that those of us that have a 2000 have had to deal with.

It maybe just a dirty connection, pull the fuse and polish it up, spray some corrosion Block on it but, if this continues you will be pulling the tail section and locating the taped up ball on the end of the wiring harness.

You will see that a multi pin plug is all green with crud, it I am told was Honda's way of pluging in to check the bike before shipping but, they didnt do a good job of closing off the plug end resulting in corrosion problems later.

This is not a big deal but it does take some time

I looked on the page and it said its the (The 1999-2000 (FI with Analogue clocks) models) my bike is the one with the digital clock, i presume this will make a difference with the loom.

I thought all the clocks were the same: Digital.

Make sure you check that one of the "set" buttons is not jammed in before you start ripping apart wiring.

marty

Mine ('97) was doing the same thing. I tore the bike apart last winter to paint it and such and once I put it back together it worked fine. I figure it was a loose connection in th eplug that connects the wiring harness to the guage cluster.