CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bent swingarm

MikeXX

So got a new chain and rear shoe on the bike today, and mentioned to the mechanic the bike seems out of alignment (strong tendancy to head to the left if you let go of the bars)

He took a look and agreed that it was out, and felt that the swingarm was bent to the left, making the rear point out to the right, and hence tend to want to turn left all the time.

Now.. to make it track straighter (and hopefully stop scrubbing my rear prematurely :icon_eek: ) he's turned in the righthand adjustment futher than the left (by 1/2-3/4 of a marking), and suggested that it should be safe enough at sub-light speeds.

Sound reasonable to ya'll? Or should I be in the market for a new frame/swingarm?

Sound reasonable to ya'll?

Ummm, no.

Why would you believe your swingarm to be bent, other than the tracking issue? If that's your only evidence, I would look elsewhere before I started shopping for a swingarm.

Was the bike involved in an accident? A serious accident?

Not really... the swingarm is one tough mo-fo component; it's not going to get bent without a substantial amount of help... like getting hit in the rear or sides.

Now.. to make it track straighter (and hopefully stop scrubbing my rear prematurely) he's turned in the righthand adjustment futher than the left (by 1/2-3/4 of a marking), and suggested that it should be safe enough at sub-light speeds.

So he has purposely mis-aligned your rear axle setting in an effort to compensate? :icon_duh:

There could be any number of things causing your bike to pull to the left, but purposely misaligning the rear axle in an effort to keep you tracking straight, even if it more-or-less works, is not a "fix"; he's just masking the issue.

Me, I would first re-align your axle, then go after finding the true culprit here.

Ummm, no.

Why would you believe your swingarm to be bent, other than the tracking issue? If that's your only evidence, I would look elsewhere before I started shopping for a swingarm.

Was the bike involved in an accident? A serious accident?

Well, yes, at least one that I was aware of. Previous owner was my brother, who hit a dog, got the front in the air, panic braked and locked up the front wheel while in the air, dropped front wheel locked to the pavement with the inevitable result.

Other than replacing all the plastic and the forks, I'm not sure what happened to the back end.. (I got it relatively cheap and with twins on the way and psychotic ex-wife setting fires in his yard/garage I wasn't checking it's teeth... I'm a soft touch for family).

Does it track straighter?

Yup.

the swingarm is one tough mo-fo component; it's not going to get bent without a substantial amount of help... like getting hit in the rear or sides.

So he has purposely mis-aligned your rear axle setting in an effort to compensate? :icon_duh:

There could be any number of things causing your bike to pull to the left, but purposely misaligning the rear axle in an effort to keep you tracking straight, even if it more-or-less works, is not a "fix"; he's just masking the issue.

Me, I would first re-align your axle, then go after finding the true culprit here.

Yeah, as added.. it could well have taken such a hit. He also retorqued frame/mounting bolts while he was "in there" today.

I agree it's masking the issue.. which is why I think I need a new swingarm..

Are there other options?

Also, I don't think my brother was so good with chain maintenance.. which might be related =/

No expert here, but from my experience it is VERY difficult to tweak a swingarm. I'd suspect something else if it is tracking funny since the crash happened at the front of the bike. I also agree that misaligning the axle is a bad idea. It might mask one problem and create a few more.

You can start with a tape measure and measure from the swing arm pivot to the axle. Centerline on both. One of those little tapes fits nicely between the exhaust and the swingarm. Get both sides dead even regardless of the markings on the chain adjusters. Take note of any difference on the adjusters and strive to maintain that during any subsequent chain adjustment.

Now go ride the bike and see if there is a tracking issue. If there is, I would look into the assembly of the front end. Where did you source that? Could be as simple as a slightly tweaked triple clamp or just poor assembly technique, or, it could be a tweaked frame at the steering head.

A search for Computrack (sp) might find a shop in your area equipped to check out this very thing and you can put your mind at rest.

Apropo of noting at all, my bike tracks dead straight with my hands off the bars.