CBR1100XX.org Forum

Headlight going out?

N1K

On Saturday night I drove to a friends house. Headlight was working fine.

Parked the bike. Started it 30 minutes later headlight was on. Turned it off while I waited for someone to run back in the house for something. turned the bike back on and no headlight.

Didn't notice until about a half block down the street. So I turned the bike off, restarted it, and the headlight came back on?

I thought maybe I was going to find a melted connector like some have reported, (since I'm running 100w bulbs) but I checked it out when I got home and everything is fine.

Headlight has not had a problem since?

Any ideas? Relay going bad?

On Saturday night I drove to a friends house. Headlight was working fine.

Parked the bike. Started it 30 minutes later headlight was on. Turned it off while I waited for someone to run back in the house for something. turned the bike back on and no headlight.

Didn't notice until about a half block down the street. So I turned the bike off, restarted it, and the headlight came back on?

I thought maybe I was going to find a melted connector like some have reported, (since I'm running 100w bulbs) but I checked it out when I got home and everything is fine.

Headlight has not had a problem since?

Any ideas? Relay going bad?

Could be a relay going bad... Without seeing it while it's happening, I wouldn't be able to tell ya... Mostly just post-whoring now...

Mike

Might be worth while checking the hand controles for lose wiring?

Went over a bump and then the headlight went out completely - if I held the pass switch in, I did have full lights. Found the problem on the throttle controle - lose wire.

I too had a problem with the wiring on the switch that cuts the headlights while the the start button in pressed. Mine is a '97-----and Honda did a poor job of engineering on that piece, IMHO. I don't know if they improved the support for those wires on the later bikes---but, it would be worth checking for anyone. If they are still in tact--a drop of silicone might assure it will stay that way----happy trails kel

Check your start button. Make sure it isn't sticking, it if isn't out all the way then your head light doesn't turn on :icon_wink:

I too had a problem with the wiring on the switch that cuts the headlights while the the start button in pressed. Mine is a '97-----and Honda did a poor job of engineering on that piece, IMHO. I don't know if they improved the support for those wires on the later bikes---but, it would be worth checking for anyone. If they are still in tact--a drop of silicone might assure it will stay that way----happy trails kel

+1 on both of these HIDs are not gonna help if your starter switch is buggered.

Do you wash it alot? Water getting in the switch will get it working like that had the same problem with my 1000F so with the Bird I wash it alot less....... :icon_smile:

Did one of your g/f's miss while peeing on you and hit the bike? Salty water is pretty damned corrosive. Be careful

Buy HID's.

+1

Yup.

those 100w bulbs will eventually take it's toll on your electrical system. Strongly suggest you swap them out for HID.

I bought an HID system for my truck, and can't use it. I guess I should just buy the bulbs I need for the XX and put it in there. Anyone got a link to the bulbs to buy?

Do you wash it alot? Water getting in the switch will get it working like that had the same problem with my 1000F so with the Bird I wash it alot less.......

Yeah, that could be it.

Did one of your g/f's miss while peeing on you and hit the bike?

Nah... People pee on my truck not my bike. :icon_wink:

Plus her pee doesn't taste salty... more acidic. Corrosive none-the-less. :icon_doh: :icon_razz::icon_razz:

Nah... People pee on my truck not my bike.

I don't pee on Honda motorcycles. Been known to piss on a Harley though. :icon_dance:

he he... I was wondering if you'd catch my little comment. :icon_biggrin:

Back on topic (sorry) Get a can of Inox and spray into the switch. It is excellent for electrical switches. It has dielectric and lubricating properties and also stops corrosion and displaces water. Doesn't build up or gum up the switch either. No I don't have shares in the company. :icon_biggrin:

OK back off topic now.

Back on topic (sorry) Get a can of Inox and spray into the switch. It is excellent for electrical switches. It has dielectric and lubricating properties and also stops corrosion and displaces water. Doesn't build up or gum up the switch either. No I don't have shares in the company. :icon_biggrin:

OK back off topic now.

But not so easy to find outside of The Land of Oz... :icon_confused: I use Stabilant-22... Expensive and meets Mil-Spec... Works great on all electrical/electronic connections.