CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bunch of Questions from a Newbie

NewtotheBlackbird

So I finally got the bike I want after starting with a 82 Goldwing then a 97 600 cbr now the 1100 is at its permanent home. My gas gauge doesnt work, any quick fix, it just flashes with the low waring symbol. I want a fat tire rear kit and I called up a couple of places and they want like 6000 for the kit, any cheaper ideas? I guess that s it for now, I apreeciate all the replies in advance and I will most likely reply to them asap. Thanks, Josh

post-3185-1151891101_thumb.jpg

Guest rockmeupto125

Gas gauge...the only thing I have to offer is to make sure the connection is tight....left hand side of the rear tank bolt (under the seat) is where the wire harness to the tank is clipped. Follow that and make sure the connector is snapped together tightly.

Most folks here are in tune with the XX as a rounded performance machine, not a poser......so you probably won't get too much feedback on a "fat tire kit." The XX handles best with stock size tires. You can jump to a 6.25 or 6.5 inch rim, and a 190 series tire, but it ain't worth much performance-wise, and certainly not looks-wise.

So I finally got the bike I want after starting with a 82 Goldwing then a 97 600 cbr now the 1100 is at its permanent home. My gas gauge doesnt work, any quick fix, it just flashes with the low waring symbol. I want a fat tire rear kit and I called up a couple of places and they want like 6000 for the kit, any cheaper ideas? I guess that s it for now, I apreeciate all the replies in advance and I will most likely reply to them asap. Thanks, Josh

+1 on response. I encourage you to, ride your bird for awhile before you make grandiose alterations. Spend some time on the Brit BB site b/c it is, like this site a valuable source of all things BB. Don't attempt to turn the Bird into something it isn't, my opinion. It's a brilliant bike for touring, two up or solo. Pipes, full system or slip ons, K & N, PC 2/3, comfy seat, luggage, hard or soft, hugger, oiler, screen, tarty pieces if you choose. Suspension is a better recipient of your hard earned cash. Don't go crazy, just enjoy your ride.

'02 Bird/90,500 personal kms. Be sure to do "topic" searches b/c for sure ?'s on tires, oil, risers, luggage, etc, etc. will arise. There are many, many very knowledgeable peeps on this site, strongly opinionated I might add. However, I believe I read somewhere, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one". Avoid "flame ups". All my responses have be valuable. cheers from the "great white north".

If you DO go with the fat tire (IMHO a really dumb thing to do to such a great bike), please consider selling me your rim!

The gauge is probably a bad connex. Look at the garage thread, download the shop manual, and trace the lines. Pretty easy to do.

Where do you live? Probably a bird rider near you would love to meet up & ride. Some of us are also quite handy mechanically if you need help.

Be sure to let us know every time you smoke a 'busa. We like to hear stuff like that.

+1 on not going to a large rear tire. My understanding is that your handling will be shot. Ride the bird for a while first. It's not a 600, but then it's not a wing either. I had my tank up yesterday cleaning the air filter. The wires to the sensor are small gauge. One may be broken.

Welcome to the board. The people are great, and not afraid to tell you what they think.

How about a slightly larger front wheel?

Craig

IPB Image

Alright I was easily convinced not to get the wide rear for this bike because I do enjoy the way it handles. I am actually in the process of getting a busa too, so I might just put it on that one, and just for looks because I like the way the drag bikes look not for any performance reason. I will have to rip the tank off and take a look under there if I cant find the problem under the seat. I live in Eastern Long Island, about 1.5 hours from nyc.

My 97 restoration project had a nice 190 rear on it.. of course, it had been wrecked. :icon_think:

Most will tell you that the fatter tire on the smaller rim messes up the handling, but that you can put a wider rim on and a fatter tire without much problem. When DaveXX01 bought into the Carozerria wheels group buy, he went with the wider rim, so he could run a 190, and he's got no major handling problems.

[attachmentid=1751]

My 97 restoration project had a nice 190 rear on it.. of course, it had been wrecked. :icon_think:

Most will tell you that the fatter tire on the smaller rim messes up the handling, but that you can put a wider rim on and a fatter tire without much problem. When DaveXX01 bought into the Carozerria wheels group buy, he went with the wider rim, so he could run a 190, and he's got no major handling problems.

I thought about the fat tire couple years ago or a minute or so, looked to me like it would rub the chain. Then I thought about the loss of power from rotating the extra weight of a fatter tire... :icon_think: If Mr. Honda thought an XX needed more tire he would made it happen! :icon_neutral: These Clowns around here take them Eyeabusers, chrome em up, extend the swing arms, fatten the tire, add all this goofy looking chopper style shit then get mad as hell when they can't catch me. None of them around here will even play anymore at bikenight when I pull up along side at a light. :icon_frown: Like Chrome?...............

+1 on not going to a large rear tire. My understanding is that your handling will be shot. Ride the bird for a while first. It's not a 600, but then it's not a wing either. I had my tank up yesterday cleaning the air filter. The wires to the sensor are small gauge. One may be broken.

Welcome to the board. The people are great, and not afraid to tell you what they think.

How about a slightly larger front wheel?

Craig

IPB Image

Can you send some info on the side cars, they intreague me. :icon_smile:

That side car is not mine. I had just seen it on Darryls site, and figured it was a good fat tire example. I am pretty sure someone on this board knows this owner. Maybe we will get lucky.

I know they can be had for almost anything. I got a good deal on my bike trailer because the previous owner was adding a car to his eyebusa and needed more trailer room.

PM zinetime for side car info

All those in the picture, he was a part of

I'm a bit of a luddite :icon_redface: , so how do I do that, please. :icon_duh:

Go up to the members tab in the top right corner. Click on it, and then you will see a thing on the right that lets you select a letter corresponding to the first letter of a members screen name. Scroll down to Z, and tab to the second page. There you will see "Zentime". Click on his name, and you will see where you can send him a PM to the right (will say send Private Message to....").