CBR1100XX.org Forum

I didn't think this was possible

SBBXX

Finally got the brake pads in on Friday and installed them that evening. Saturday Corynne and I were going for a ride. I'm working both the front and back at slow speed to pump up the calipers and seat the pads a bit. The front is really soft and does not stop well. I turn around, drop Corynne off at the house and take it out myself. I'm working the brakes like crazy, thinking I need to seat them a bit more. It's much better after that but still doesn't feel right. I take a good look and what do I see? The inside right pad is not in the notch in the front. It's hanging down a tad and some of the pad is not even on the rotor. I didn't even check when I installed them. I figured that if I was able to get the pin in the back, the front had to be in the correct position. Good thing I checked.

BTW. I was down to metal on the back. :icon_sad: The rotor is grooved a bit, but they feel ok. That should be alright eh?

marty

I had the same thing happen on my 1st XX, brought it to a shop for a tire and let them remove and reinstall the wheel from the bike, couple days later my brakes still didn't feel right, pulled the pads and bingo, same thing as described. I tried several times to assemble it wrong like that and couldn't. :icon_eh:

The ass-hats at my local dealership installed the front wheel backwards after replacing the tires.

Check everything the dealer does and assume they are incapable of doing anything right.

I take a good look and what do I see? The inside right pad is not in the notch in the front. It's hanging down a tad and some of the pad is not even on the rotor. I didn't even check when I installed them. I figured that if I was able to get the pin in the back, the front had to be in the correct position. Good thing I checked.

marty

Yeah definitely something to look out for when replacing pads. I did the very same thing but didn't pick it up until 4,000kms after I did the pad change. :icon_redface: