CBR1100XX.org Forum

Penske Installation

Elefant

Would I be able to get the stock shock off with the rear wheel on? The clearance on the swing arm looks tight with it on.

I figured I'd ask someone who's done it ....

I know... I'm a lazy ass...

Would I be able to get the stock shock off with the rear wheel on? The clearance on the swing arm looks tight with it on.

I figured I'd ask someone who's done it ....

Yes, from another lazy ass who wondered the same thing -- as long as it's up on teh center stand. In fact, even though the service manual tells you to remove the tank (at least for FI models), I was able to get it out, reinstalled and torqued to proper settings by only lifting the tank from the rear. Helps to have all the necessary tools to reach with, and a floor jack to lift the swingarm (with wheel in it) in very small increments. I did need to remove the seat cowl, the left side footpeg and the left side exhaust hanger/passenger footpeg (I have a 4-2-1 exhaust system on it anyway).

Yes, from another lazy ass who wondered the same thing -- as long as it's up on teh center stand. In fact, even though the service manual tells you to remove the tank (at least for FI models), I was able to get it out, reinstalled and torqued to proper settings by only lifting the tank from the rear. Helps to have all the necessary tools to reach with, and a floor jack to lift the swingarm (with wheel in it) in very small increments. I did need to remove the seat cowl, the left side footpeg and the left side exhaust hanger/passenger footpeg (I have a 4-2-1 exhaust system on it anyway).

Shit! I told you I'm a lazy ass !!! Damn! I just finished replacing the steering bearings and races on the Gran Canyon (what a royal pain in the arse it was dismantling half the bike) and now this...

I suppose I either do it myself (and quit whinning) or spend some green and have it done...

I'm thinking it may be easier to take off the wheel, undo the bottom, drop the swing arm and keep eveything else in place? No?

Where did you install the reservoir? I got it with a 19" long hose :icon_think: !!!!

I'm thinking it may be easier to take off the wheel, undo the bottom, drop the swing arm and keep eveything else in place? No?

Where did you install the reservoir? I got it with a 19" long hose :icon_think: !!!!

Nah, I think it's easier NOT to take the wheel out, unless you're going to be changing the rear tire anyway. The greater pain in the ass is getting at the top bolt and nut from under the tank. I did have to use a universal link on my socket extension I pushed in from the left side of the subframe in order to torque the top bolt to spec, but I don't kow how anyone could do it otherwise, whether wheel and/or tank are completely removed or not.

I strapped the reservoir against the top subframe rail just above the handle (for getting the bike up on the centerstand) and just below but outside the edge of the seat. Tip: with someone else holding the reservoir tightly (shock already installed), I VERY slightly loosened the fitting on the reservoir so I could rotate the reservoir so that when I strapped it against the sub frame, the knurled compression adjustment knob would be between a 12 and 1 o'clock position (looking at it from front of bike). It would have been at about 3 o'clock and much harder to get at without that tweak. Of course, I tightened it back up and then installed with the supplied rubber cushions and hose clamps. That little adjustment put the adjuster knob in a place that, when you remove the seat, is between the plastic cowl and the subframe -- easily accessible for adjustment, but invisible with the seat and seat cowl in place. Very clean result.

Nah, I think it's easier NOT to take the wheel out, unless you're going to be changing the rear tire anyway. The greater pain in the ass is getting at the top bolt and nut from under the tank. I did have to use a universal link on my socket extension I pushed in from the left side of the subframe in order to torque the top bolt to spec, but I don't kow how anyone could do it otherwise, whether wheel and/or tank are completely removed or not.

I strapped the reservoir against the top subframe rail just above the handle (for getting the bike up on the centerstand) and just below but outside the edge of the seat. Tip: with someone else holding the reservoir tightly (shock already installed), I VERY slightly loosened the fitting on the reservoir so I could rotate the reservoir so that when I strapped it against the sub frame, the knurled compression adjustment knob would be between a 12 and 1 o'clock position (looking at it from front of bike). It would have been at about 3 o'clock and much harder to get at without that tweak. Of course, I tightened it back up and then installed with the supplied rubber cushions and hose clamps. That little adjustment put the adjuster knob in a place that, when you remove the seat, is between the plastic cowl and the subframe -- easily accessible for adjustment, but invisible with the seat and seat cowl in place. Very clean result.

10-4.

4 Smithwick's and the rear cowl out so far. At this rate, i don't think a case will do it... :icon_twisted:

I used a 2 x 4 under the wheel to raise / lower the swingarm for easy fit. My Penske 8981 showed up @ the exact length of the stock shock. I extended the length 6mm before installation. The 2 x 4 made it easy to fit.

I placed the res. @ the grab handle opening also.

Anyone care to post pics on the install and/or location of the reservoir? :icon_think:

I got word from CTS Moto that Traxxion shipped mine just before they got flooded! :icon_sos:

And you had to brag right? :icon_wall: I called Mike today to order one and he said there could be up to a two week delay. :icon_snooty: :icon_evil: Actually I thought it was Penske that got flooded.

I dropped the inner fender down, and installed my remote reservoir on the inside of left side of the subframe. This makes it easy to get to the adjuster. You just pop the seat and it's right there.

It also hides the installation from prying eyes.

IPB Image

IPB Image