CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID

gharknes

When I installed my HID I found it difficult to get the high beam at the correct level without making the low beam too high, so tonight I fiddled about with the bulbs and specifically the angle they sit in the holder, all things being equal you would think if both bulbs are mounted the same way as the stock bulbs then the beams should be as they where before........well not so, I put a slight downward angle on the high beam bulb in its holder and hey presto I now have a high beam pointing forward as opposed to slightly downward, using the adjusters just didn't work, when the high beam was correct the low beam was too high

Just thought I'd post this, maybe others have same problem perhaps don't even realise.

yeah, it was mentioned when the HID group buy first went down... It's because the standard H7 had the filiment in the bottom part of the glass part of the bulb, and the HID has the "arc" in the middle of the bulb... I didn't find it worth messing with.

Mike

Strange, I have both beams done and the high beam definitely does not point down. It lights up everything from the road to about 20' up the trees. The low beam cutoff still stays level straight out, hitting about 3/4 up the trunk of most cars. Never get flashed unless I leave the bright one on.

Strange, I have both beams done and the high beam definitely does not point down. It lights up everything from the road to about 20' up the trees. The low beam cutoff still stays level straight out, hitting about 3/4 up the trunk of most cars. Never get flashed unless I leave the bright one on.

+1... Not a problem at all...

+1... Not a problem at all...

See my first post on why he's having the issue he is.

It's because of the difference between the filiment placement on the H7, and the arc placement on the HID... This means that if you've done HID in both high and low, you will have no problem.

Mike

I knew replacing both bulbs with HID would be better :)

Now I just have to keep the ignitors from coming undone, the 3M double sided tape is not quite enough with our bumpy NE roads... Maybe I should just put on a softer suspension instead.

Now I just have to keep the ignitors from coming undone, the 3M double sided tape is not quite enough with our bumpy NE roads... Maybe I should just put on a softer suspension instead.

HID high beam is only better if you don't cycle it all the time... I live out in the country, but there are oncoming cars on occasion, so I end up cycling my high beam on and off all the time, and not only will this burn out an HID bulb VERY QUICKLY, it'll burn up your factory wiring, because for the first ~10 seconds you turn HID on, it's drawing in the neighborhood of 20 amps, which is like 280 watts...

I have HID low beam, and a 2100lumen, 65W high beam and couldn't be happier!

Mike

HID high beam is only better if you don't cycle it all the time... I live out in the country, but there are oncoming cars on occasion, so I end up cycling my high beam on and off all the time, and not only will this burn out an HID bulb VERY QUICKLY, it'll burn up your factory wiring, because for the first ~10 seconds you turn HID on, it's drawing in the neighborhood of 20 amps, which is like 280 watts...

Mike

If the ballasts drew 280 watts ( I assume you mean as a pair not each ) wouldn't that pop the headlight fuse? Did you place an amprage meter across the circuit ?

Mike

If the ballasts drew 280 watts ( I assume you mean as a pair not each ) wouldn't that pop the headlight fuse? Did you place an amprage meter across the circuit ?

I didn't put one on there, because my meter is only a 10A, and those fuses in the DMM are like $5 each, and you have to mail order them!

It's just been said that they draw between 20 and 30A (although I guess that may be for both beams) on startup, and I see my voltage guage drop way down for the first few seconds after startup, and I do know that people have had problems with killing the headlight relay from turning it on and off too much... Never actually tested it myself...

Mike

Mike

Yup, HID low and a stock high beam.

I'm out in the boonies too. I ride at night all the time but rarely do I get to use my high-beam for extended periods of time. It would get flipped on/off about 8-12 times during my 20 min ride home from work.