CBR1100XX.org Forum

Michelin vs. Metzeler?

G-Man

OK guys, there is 8500 miles on the OEM BattleAxes, and since I'm new to GT bikes, I need some input on what tires to go with next? I'm 5' 10", weigh 215, always ride solo(old lady won't ride anymore) I commute to work (25 miles round trip), and ride on weekends. I'm not very aggressive and rarely ride in the rain. All views welcome!

OK guys, there is 8500 miles on the OEM BattleAxes, and since I'm new to GT bikes, I need some input on what tires to go with next? I'm 5' 10", weigh 215, always ride solo(old lady won't ride anymore) I commute to work (25 miles round trip), and ride on weekends. I'm not very aggressive and rarely ride in the rain. All views welcome!

Have had Metzeler MEZ4 on the bike and had them last a nice long time. Had two sets of Michelin Pilot Roads and loved one set and hated the other.

I'm now using Avon AV45/46 combination and believe that it's the best that I've used so far. I don't worry about handling in corners since I live in SE Michigan where there are 11 curves in 318 miles so straight line riding and longevity is what matters to me the most.

I've been using the Avon's the past two sets of tires. Another set sitting here when the ones on it wear out...

I like they they seem to work quite well. More than enough traction wet or dry for normal street use, I don't have enough twisties to tell how well they are it them....

Michelens are 'different'. I have ridden on many brands of tires and I have never felt comfortable on Michelins. Pirelli, Metz, Dunlop, Avon all felt familiar and stable. Mich's always felt like they were wandering when leaned over. Sadly, I found this to be true for their race tires as well.

OK guys, there is 8500 miles on the OEM BattleAxes, and since I'm new to GT bikes, I need some input on what tires to go with next?

What were your complaints with the OEM tires?

Over the last 3 years, there have been a number of incidents where the Metz Z6 front tire has been separating, at least on FJRs -- to the point that I will never buy a set and risk what I've seen in pictures of the carcasses. Here's a current thread on the FJR forum about it:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=9229&st=0

Check out Warchild's post well down the first page with the pics he posted from a failoed Metz a year or two ago. That is pretty much what the others that have failed have looked like, too.

The OEM 'stones on the XX leave a LOT to be desired in terms of stickiness, IMO, and I'm sure I'd be happier with almost anything -- but not if I risk one failing catastrophically on the front when I'm leaned over in some twisties. All the Z6 failure reports I've read about have fortunately occurred on slab going straight, however.