CBR1100XX.org Forum

NEP-CC3 Throttle lock HELP!!!!!

JasonW

Okay, I got my new throttle lock today and figured I'd install it before I headed home tonight. Not so. :sad:

After following Carlos' instructions to a T, I reinstalled the contol box to find that my throttle is binding once I tighten the two screws on the bottom side. It spins freely if the screws are loose, but binds once I tighten them to where they won't vibrate out.

After tearing it apart and applying grease on the contact points I still have a binding problem once those screws are tightened.

I've had it apart and back together about 5 or 6 times and still can't figure out what is causing the bind. I've checked everything inside and don't see anything that would cause it to stick.

Did anyone have this problem when they installed theirs? Any ideas? Am I missing something here? I followed the instructions in the service manual that say to tighten the front screw first, then the back.

It's really starting to piss me off. :evil:

Yes I did, still pisses me off as well

the next step I plan on taking is shaving some of the inside area from the throttle lock to see if that loosen things up a bit

I just installed the NEP -cc3 throttle lock this weekend, I didn't wanna drill any holes in anything so I took Scubajohn's advice and used double side tape

on the bottom tab, about two pieces did the job and it works perfectly...

thanks John for that little tip. :grin:

Don't quite know what would be causing the binding up but if I remember on my cbr1000f the pieces had to be aligned perfectly and there was a tab that it had to fit into.don't know if any of this helps.....

Alright, now I feel like an idiot. :oops:

What had happened was that I had rolled the grip back a bit because it was too close to the contol box for the throttle lock to slide in there. When I rolled it back into position I didn't notice that the grip had slid out to the bar end causing it to catch on it in a throttlemeister sort of way. Apparently when the screws were loose it allowed enough play in the throttle tube to overcome this. When I slid the grip back into position, it solved the problem.

Once I got to the throttle lock itself, mine did bind a little when in the off position, so I just took some sandpaper and ran it over the edges to loosen it up. Seems to be working fine now.

I have yet to test it on the road, but it seems to function properly just sitting here. :grin:

the grip had slid out to the bar end causing it to catch on it

I had to cut about a 1/4 inch of the end of my grips off to keep it from binding on the barends.

BTW:

I have an extra NEP CC-3 body, if anybody messes up drilling the holes and needs another one.

When I installed my first one, I didn't tighten down on the tension screw, and went for a test ride. Somewhere on the course of that test ride, the headpiece fell off! I rode my route backwards and forwards but couldn't find it. So, I headed off to the store to buy another one.

Pay for shipping, and it's yours.

Jason, you should only be using one screw in the bottom of the lock. The other hole should be for water drainage. The screw hole should be oversized slightly so it can move with the throttle when locked. With mine, i cut a round piece of clear plastic, like from a toy box, to fit inbetween the throttle lock and the grip to reduce drag, and i also cut one to fit between the bar end and the end of the grip.

The reason for the screw hole to be oversized, because when you roll the throttle the NEP will move slighty backwards with the throttl to create a better grip on the throttle sleeve.

Guys, any links or price info on this lovelly item?

California Sport Touring, $17.55. Direct order site:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/mercha...tegory_Code=NEP

This vendor is a good guy (Kim Leong), is/was a night shift policeman who is running this storefront during the day. Owns a couple of Honda bikes, is doing well. In general, I haven't seen his prices beat as he builds his customer base.

I too ordered mine from California Sport Touring. It was at my doorstep in 4 days, which is fast for my location.

Don, the 2 screws I was refering to are the ones that hold the throttle/switch box together.......not the throttle lock base. I followed Carlos' instructions by drilling a hole to match the drain hole and one for the set-screw.

It seems to be working perfectly now that I figured out what was binding the throttle. :oops:

Drilling the holes wasn't hard. Carlos' instructions were pretty easy to follow.

It's pretty hard when you don't own a drill!! :grin:

just remember that when the 2 sided tape wears out icon_smile.gif at 10 miles of your 2k trip icon_smile.gif heheheh I kind of wished I had done it that way but I would probly use an epoxy especialy if your bike gets wet.

Problem solved I put the extra tape under the seat!!! :grin: