CBR1100XX.org Forum

Extreme Cupped Tire

XXBIRD

Some can see the cupped tire no matter what if there is a tire in the picture but these are for the ones who wonder what a "cupped" tire is. There was a recent question about it so I wanted to do a public service before I take my extremely cupped Avons off.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Holy shit!!! Mind if I ask what air presure you were running? And is that typical of Avon tires? I've never tried them but have never had a tire that badly cupped.

Thanks for posting the pics,

Brian

Holy shit!!! Mind if I ask what air presure you were running?

Religiously, 42psi as suggested with this particular tire. I even purchased a compressor not to be a slacker about checking/correcting it everytime I ride out. The previous Avon did this but I was not checking the pressure as I should have.

The way they feel in my hands, I'd say tripple "D". :icon_biggrin:

I have never tried the Avon's.

I can tell you I put my last set of Dunlops on ............................ The time before my Pilot Roads.

I never cupped a rear, but Dunlop fronts cupped within 1000 miles.

Do you do much two up? Burnouts? real agressive roads?

I have wondered if my early tire wear was due to alignment issues. With the laser setup, I am fairly sure that both tires are parallel with each other and the frame.

Just thoughts.

I got 10K out of the last set of Avon 45/46 that I put on my XX and there was NO cupping. I've got about 4 or 5K on the current set of Avons and no cupping there either.

I have never understood why riders seem so pre-occupied with what is simply normal tire wear. Tire scalloping is a normal consequence of tire use. This is particularly true for big, heavy sport-touring rigs like the Blackbird.

All tires eventually scallop, *all* tires. It's just that some tread patterns make for pronounced scalloping, often relatively early in the tire's life. Two examples of this would be the front tires of the Dunlop 220 and the Bridgestone BT-020. Both are excellent tires - indeed, the dry grip of the D220 is phenominal - but both display significant scalloping fairly early in their treadlife.

Other tread patterns do not lend themselves to such severe scalloping. A couple examples of this would be the Pilot Road and the Avons, though again, as you reach the end of it's service life, you'll see scalloping in these tires, too.

Ruhi, I don't see anything unusual about your Avons other than they are at the end of their service life. That, and you need to find more corners to wear down that massive ton of rubber on the outside edges.... :icon_razz:

Now, all the above having been said.... this is a completely pointless thread, in that tire wear is *extremely* specific to a rider, his riding style, and riding environment. We can't look at a picture of a used, worn out tire and draw a conclusion that the tire brand as shit. It may, in fact, be a crap tire for one person's style/environment, but it might also be a phenominal tire for someone else who rides differently and/or rides in completely different riding conditions.

Tire threads are very similar to oil threads, chain lube threads, etc, etc. There is no "one best - fits all" of any of these.

I would agree with Warchild on eventually cupping takes place, however this does look extra odd like not just cupping but tread package, AVBD winding package, or belt package has come apart in some form or fashion. It looks like th emiddle of the tie to me wher eI've never seen cupping. Only on the edges.

How many miles you got on them?

I Had a front (Bridgestone) cup almost exactly like that on my VFR. It had a dent in the steering head race (wheelies) that made it notchy and kinda dangerous to ride. I switched to All Balls tapered rollers and Z6s and never had uneven wear after that. Bike rode a helluva lot better too. I haven't seen a rear wear like that before. Was the wheel in the bike straight?

:icon_clap: This dunlop sport rhs wear & some cupping (sport touring) gave me 10,000Km when I changed to a Pirrelli Diablo (tour sport).

The pirelli is quite a firm ride but it is still new and probably will soften.

My old ZX10 ran Metz (4 I think) on the front with no cupping after only rhs wear due to our abundant roundabouts 14,000Km on that one (my ZX10 weighed 220lb same as xx plus my 80Kilo bod) :icon_smile: [attachmentid=1242]

post-2227-1149864031.jpg

I Had a front (Bridgestone) cup almost exactly like that on my VFR. It had a dent in the steering head race (wheelies) that made it notchy and kinda dangerous to ride. I switched to All Balls tapered rollers and Z6s and never had uneven wear after that. Bike rode a helluva lot better too. I haven't seen a rear wear like that before. Was the wheel in the bike straight?

NICE FESCUE!!!! :icon_clap:

I have never understood why riders seem so pre-occupied with what is simply normal tire wear. ...

Now, all the above having been said.... this is a completely pointless thread,...

Not as much as you feathering up for such a completely pointless reason... If you take a look and re-read what I said, it wouldn't appear as such. I posted to show what "cupping" is for the ones who asks what it is.. :icon_rolleyes: