CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone know why the 12K service runs $450?

fsufan8

Hey all ....my 02' XX is coming up on it's 12K service. I called my local dealership and they told me it could be as much as $450. WTF? Is this accurate? Does the bike really need $75 plugs with only 12K miles? The coolant flush is understandable ...what else do they do to justify taking 4 1/2 bills from me?

Any advice on what else to do or am I shit up a creek?

Thanks!

Steve

Guest rockmeupto125

There's a service at 12k? :icon_wink:

The factory 12k service stipulates replacing that $50 air filter and changing the brake and clutch fluid, which is labor intensive.

Just ride the damn thing!

Hey Diablo I'll do it for you for half of that. :icon_wink:

You got it ...I'll even throw in a case of whatever beer you want. You serious?

There's a service at 12k? :icon_wink:

The factory 12k service stipulates replacing that $50 air filter and changing the brake and clutch fluid, which is labor intensive.

Just ride the damn thing!

I can change the oil/oil filter/air filter ...no problem there. Since the bike had new stainless steel brake/clutch lines installed about 2 years ago, I wonder if they bled the lines then?? It was done before I bought the bike from another party. The bike is running fine but I'm usually anal and follow all of the scheduled service maintenance in my trucks and bikes, and typically let the dealer do it since they are the experts. I thought $450 was a bit steep for slightly more than an oil change.

Why?

Because a fool and his money are soon parted.

Go ride.

And then learn to do your own maintenance.

Listen bro .... not sure if you're joking but I'm not laughing. Not cool ...it's more a matter of my time and the available tools I have to do my own work. If it costs me $450, then so be it. Was just inquiring on whether I should get a 2nd opinion on the rate of $450. Sounded high to me ...frankly, if you have a negative comment to say on this thread, keep it to yourself next time.

You got it ...I'll even through in a case of whatever beer you want. You serious?

I'm leaving tomorrow for TBME but seriously maybe even next weekend, Tom and I are old pros and if you came by you might want to see it being done, or if time is a problem the least we could do is do it and save you some $$$.

Call me at: 760-300-5824 and we can talk about it. :icon_wink:

It was meant as a bit of a joke.

Whatever you say, "bro." IPB Image

Childish man, very childish. It goes to show ....you've got a myspace account. Nice .... :icon_whack:

Is that all you've got? Please.

You'll notice I didn't say anything about where you're from, the bike you don't own or the girl who's on it that isn't yours. Doing that would be generalizing and I don't want to stoop.

Guest rockmeupto125

Childish man, very childish. It goes to show ....you've got a myspace account. Nice .... :icon_whack:

SoCal...........YOU started a thread here questioning the cost of the service. Matey confirmed your already voiced suspicions by implying that it may be foolish to take that route.

YOU also asked for advice on what to do. Matey gave you that advice....ascribed to by a great many of the folks here... "learn to do your own maintenance." Realistically, that's why you came here and asked these questions......because you know there are people here who could answer it.

Unfortunately, I guess that's not what you wanted to hear. In which case, I suggest you stop asking questions, or you'll continue to be disappointed.

I apologize for responding to your original question with the recommendation that you disregard the scheduled 12k service. Had I understood the situation better, I would have recommended not only that you follow it, but that you give the dealer a $50 tip for treating you well.

You, sir, are shit up a creek, as you said. Enjoy yourself.

Is that all you've got? Please.

You'll notice I didn't say anything about where you're from, the bike you don't own or the girl who's on it that isn't yours. Doing that would be generalizing and I don't want to stoop.

Huh? What the hell are you referring to? I never went to your lame myspace webpage if that's what you mean ...I noticed it on your sig. Sorry man but I can't bring myself down to scrolling through the mountains of crap and tenny bopper shit on myspace. I'm above that.

You know, and I just noticed in my message box that you had requested an mp3 song awhile back in the pub section and I was nice enough to spend my time and pull it off the web and e-mail it to you. What was I thinking ...if I had known you then from the impression I'm getting today, it wouldn't have happened. You seem shallow and empty ....good luck man.

You got it ...I'll even through in a case of whatever beer you want. You serious?

I'm leaving tomorrow for TBME but seriously maybe even next weekend, Tom and I are old pros and if you came by you might want to see it being done, or if time is a problem the least we could do is do it and save you some $$$.

Call me at: 760-300-5824 and we can talk about it. :icon_wink:

Will ...thanks man. Sounds great and spending the time to learn the more involved things is not a problem. I'll call you next week to see when a good time is ....I can get the parts in advance as well and will take care of the oil change/air filter in advance. Have fun at TBME.

Thanks again,

Steve

I can change the oil/oil filter/air filter ...no problem there. Since the bike had new stainless steel brake/clutch lines installed about 2 years ago, I wonder if they bled the lines then??

You may want to check with the person who replaced the brake and clutch lines if they also bled the lines during the swap. If they have not, it would be justifiable to pay for the $450 service because there is a slim chance that they may check the brake and clutch fluid levels from the master cylinder windows. :icon_shifty: :icon_whistle:

Seriously, If I was you, I would just check you water fluids, chain for kinks, brakes for excessive wear, oil and air filter, listen for a gumble ball rattle at 4k (CCT replacement), that about all I can think of off the top of my head :icon_think: .

SoCal...........YOU started a thread here questioning the cost of the service. Matey confirmed your already voiced suspicions by implying that it may be foolish to take that route.

YOU also asked for advice on what to do. Matey gave you that advice....ascribed to by a great many of the folks here... "learn to do your own maintenance." Realistically, that's why you came here and asked these questions......because you know there are people here who could answer it.

Unfortunately, I guess that's not what you wanted to hear. In which case, I suggest you stop asking questions, or you'll continue to be disappointed.

I apologize for responding to your original question with the recommendation that you disregard the scheduled 12k service. Had I understood the situation better, I would have recommended not only that you follow it, but that you give the dealer a $50 tip for treating you well.

+1 on what Joe said! If you can't take "constructive criticism" this isn't the place for you... Honestly, there is absolutely no reason to get worked up in this thread.

Mike

+1 on what Joe said! If you can't take "constructive criticism" this isn't the place for you... Honestly, there is absolutely no reason to get worked up in this thread.

Mike

Fuck you Mike.

:icon_biggrin:

Mike

Fuck you Mike.

:icon_biggrin:

I'M TELLING MY MOMMY!!! :icon_biggrin:

you coming to my fuckin' party or what, fucker?

Mike

Uh. How in the name of all that is holy would it be possible to replace the clutch and brake lines and NOT bleed them?

+1000

or with meditation?

brake fluid get out of the bottle and get into the brake line

If it doesn't work, then start thinking loud :icon_lol:

I can change the oil/oil filter/air filter ...no problem there. Since the bike had new stainless steel brake/clutch lines installed about 2 years ago, I wonder if they bled the lines then??

You may want to check with the person who replaced the brake and clutch lines if they also bled the lines during the swap. If they have not, it would be justifiable to pay for the $450 service because there is a slim chance that they may check the brake and clutch fluid levels from the master cylinder windows. :icon_shifty: :icon_whistle:

Hey xxbird, yeah, I did check with the previous owner and he said he doesn't know if the clutch/brake masters were drained and refilled. And what I meant from my initial post was I wonder if the reseviors were drained then, not if the lines were bled. Obviously since the old lines were removed and new ones installed, all of the fluid in the old lines was removed and minimally, the reseviors were topped off to replace the lost fluid in the old lines. The fluid in the windows of both masters is crystal clear. The bike has mostly highway miles so the use of the clutch and brakes has been minmized compared with city riding. I think I'll bypass messing with these at the moment. Maybe at 20K I'll have them drained and filled. I can handle the coolant flush, oil/filter, air filter. I guess it's mainly the plugs that I haven't done before. Will and Tom and can help with that. Not sure I even need new plugs at this point. The bike runs great.

bartonmd and rockmeup ...I reacted the way I did b/c the dude referred to me as foolish. I did not post this thread to be cut down. I asked a question and wanted people's advice ...to me, calling me foolish is not constructive critism. It's patronizing me ...this person does not even know me at all and comes off like that. And for him to come back and flip me off ...it just shows his immaturity.

Hey xxbird, yeah, I did check with the previous owner and he said he doesn't know if the clutch/brake masters were drained and refilled. And what I meant from my initial post was I wonder if the reseviors were drained then, not if the lines were bled. Obviously since the old lines were removed and new ones installed, all of the fluid in the old lines was removed and minimally, the reseviors were topped off to replace the lost fluid in the old lines. The fluid in the windows of both masters is crystal clear. The bike has mostly highway miles so the use of the clutch and brakes has been minmized compared with city riding. I think I'll bypass messing with these at the moment. Maybe at 20K I'll have them drained and filled. I can handle the coolant flush, oil/filter, air filter. I guess it's mainly the plugs that I haven't done before. Will and Tom and can help with that. Not sure I even need new plugs at this point. The bike runs great.

FYI, it's not the fluid in the reservours that gets "used up" so to speak... the brake fluid that goes bad is the stuff in the calipers that gets heat cycled all the time... Also, they HAD to be blead when they replaced the lines, because even if they kept the fluid in the master cylinder, that fluid had to go down the new lines, and the air that it displaced had to be blead out the calipers, along with the old fluid... Yes, a bleeding was done when the lines were changed.

bartonmd and rockmeup ...I reacted the way I did b/c the dude referred to me as foolish. I did not post this thread to be cut down. I asked a question and wanted people's advice ...to me, calling me foolish is not constructive critism. It's patronizing me ...this person does not even know me at all and comes off like that. And for him to come back and flip me off ...it just shows his immaturity.

To quote a famous line "What the fuck? Over."

Honestly, he said that a fool and his money are soon parted... Like Joe said, Matey only was saying that it's a ripoff for what they do. And have you never been flipped off in jest? Of course, then you go off on him both times he said something to you. And yes, that's why "constructive criticism" was in quotes.

You may want to consider shoveling the sand out of your vagina before reading any more posts so as to not be offended or "cut down" because that's what happens here, and 99% of it is in fun.

Seriously, for somebody with "diablo" in thier screen name, you're sure acting like a fuckin' pussy! Did you not have brothers or sisters growing up? (or parents, or friends, or any other human contact for that matter). Seriously not something to get worked up over (until I posted this anyway), and no, I don't know you at all, but I'm OK with coming off like this and showing my immaturity. What's your excuse?

Mike

I can handle the coolant flush, oil/filter, air filter. I guess it's mainly the plugs that I haven't done before. Will and Tom and can help with that. Not sure I even need new plugs at this point. The bike runs great.

Steve I just did my plugs and they were at 30K+ and to let you know they weren't really bad but that was enough time for my sense of well being. :icon_lol:

Filter, coolant flush, oil,filter, rear brake pads, and brake fluid/clutch fluid I did all in the last month or should I say Tom and I that is. :icon_lol:

Really it would be good to come up and meet us have a couple beers while we all take care of what you want/need done. :icon_drunks:

We won't bite promise. :icon_wink:

Ok only if you ask nicely we will. :icon_razz: