CBR1100XX.org Forum

Weird electrics

cleggben

Honda Blackbird 2000 injection

I was out on the bird yesterday; happily riding along some twisty bits when all of a sudden clocks dropped lights went out (engine kept running though?). It was actually daylight so I made it, rather precariously home to investigate.

Main 30amp fuse had blown, So I replaced it and continued to check…..

All the lights had blown (not the fuses but the actual lamps?)Headlight, low beam and parking light, tail light and break light, but not the high beam or the instrument panel lights?

3 of the 4 indicators had also blown lamps?

Clocks are now dead , except for the fuel gauge and the temp?

Recently , about 5 months ago I had an issue with the charging system and had to replace the generator, battery and the rectifier. As I said only 5 months ago? I naturally assumed they may have again gone faulty? So I did the usual checks ac out, dc out etc …………everything seems fine?

The battery is getting warm but then again I am based in the Middle East and day temp now is in the 50 deg C range so you would expect that.

Any ideas what I do now?

And is there a separate fuse for the clocks? (not under the seat

The bird is my work horse so I need it daily………………

Cheers Guys

It could be the wiring-loom problem of the 1999 and 2000 models. Please check the connector.

There must be a posting here somewhere about it....

All other electricals failed concerns me. Typically to blow the lights, you would need high current or voltage.

Lamps are resistors, so they would limit the current draw, except when the voltage became too high.

I would not replace any parts until I followed the charging troubleshooting guide in the Garage.

I suspect your R/R has failed.

My old eyes didn't see a seperate fuse for the clock, but I will look again after a cup of coffee.

Put a meter on the battery and see what your charging output is. If higher than 15vdc, shut the bird off and repair before you do more damage.

Good luck,

And post results.

Craig

Edit,

fuse A 20 Amp Headlight

fuse B 10 amp neutral,oil,tacho,speed+temp.position.meter light,tail.

fuse C 10 amp turn signal,front. rear brake , horn

fuse D 10 amp starter, engine stop sensor

fuse E 10 amp fan motor

fues F 10 amp clock.

I hope by clock, they mean the complete display. 10 amps is a high rating for a lcd display.

Guest rockmeupto125

Typically, burning out headlight bulbs means high voltage.

Like he said, go over your charging circuit.

Andy (For the life of me I can't remember his login name) had to replace a shitload of stuff by the time he was done last year. He replaced both the stator and regulator and it even burned out his light switch.

good luck

I would not replace any parts until I followed the charging troubleshooting guide in the Garage.

Put a meter on the battery and see what your charging output is. If higher than 15vdc, shut the bird off and repair before you do more damage.

Good luck,

And post results.

Craig

What he said. :icon_imwifstupid:

marty

Andy (For the life of me I can't remember his login name) had to replace a shitload of stuff by the time he was done last year. He replaced both the stator and regulator and it even burned out his light switch.

good luck

Good luck,

And post results.

Craig

What he said. :icon_imwifstupid:

marty

Thanks guys

I too think this is charging circuit, I replaced the alternator and the rectifier about 5 months ago?? Again just CHecked the resistance ... seems ok with no shorts to earth. Checked output of rectifier around 12v at tickover and 14 volts at 5 thou?

Can anyone tell me what the voltage of the alternator should be (the 3 yellow wires) to earth and each other as thats the only thing the manual doesnt state???

Should I just go out and buy a new rectifier??

Thanks again guys

Guys I have managed to get a hold of a R/R but its different? I think its from a 2001 Model (mine is 2000).

The connectors are the same , can anyone confirm if it is compatable?

Gonna try it anyway

Ill let you know

Guys I have managed to get a hold of a R/R but its different? I think its from a 2001 Model (mine is 2000).

Gonna try it anyway

Ill let you know

i'll stick my neck out here and say the only thing that could cause your problem is a failing rectifier/regulator resulting in high voltage, i would get this replaced as soon as possble otherwise you may find yourself replacing more expencive items than bulbs.

the voltage between each of the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator should be around 50vAC, the bird has a 3 phase stator and would be difficult to get more power from it, same with the battery so the one thing in your charging circuit the controls voltage is the RR

Gonna try it anyway

Ill let you know

i'll stick my neck out here and say the only thing that could cause your problem is a failing rectifier/regulator resulting in high voltage, i would get this replaced as soon as possble otherwise you may find yourself replacing more expencive items than bulbs.

the voltage between each of the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator should be around 50vAC, the bird has a 3 phase stator and would be difficult to get more power from it, same with the battery so the one thing in your charging circuit the controls voltage is the RR

I agree,

Some of the members have added a voltmeter to the panel.

I don't know that it would pick up AC volts, but since you have had two failures, it might be worth installing.

Try Service Honda or Ron Ayers for the clocks. I assume you mean the complete lcd panel.

Those two sources have decent pricing, for new parts.

Yeh I gues yur right so Ive replaced the R/R .................... now just my clocks and battery to deal with ......Nightmare.

Anyone know where I can get cheap clocks or at least the circuit boards.. I need speedo and rev counter FI model?

Cheers for the assistance

Ben

Yeh I gues yur right so Ive replaced the R/R .................... now just my clocks and battery to deal with ......Nightmare.

Anyone know where I can get cheap clocks or at least the circuit boards.. I need speedo and rev counter FI model?

Cheers for the assistance

Ben

why do you need new ? I am wondering that your display is backlit so probably only need to replace the bulbs..............can you describe more about what went down

• 3 weeks later...