CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake pad life?

demon

What kind of mileage do the brake pads usually last under normal use? I have 9K on the origional pads and when I stop they make a bzzzzzzzzz :headscratch: sound from the front. Is this typical or do I need to check into replacing the brakes? One more question: Do most change all 3 calipers at once due to the LBS or do the rears last longer? If I need to change the pads, I was thinking of going with EBC sintered pads on the front and stock type pads on the rear to give a more front biased brakes. Anyone done this? Do you like it?

The front pads should go 2-3 times longer than the rears.

As far as which pads, I think the Galfer offerings are a much better choice than the EBC (I've used both). See the main site for my comparison details.

So far.. all of my local shops only hold EBC...

I guess for convinience sake... I'll simply take 3 sets of them.

after 11000 miles... my OEM are shot. I'm going to buy some new pads tonight.

I'm going to check the pads tonight. The discs do not have any scratches in them so I think I'm OK. On the main site, I only found EBC HH info and nothing on the Galfer pads. Are they that much better?

I do think so. The EBC HH pads are an expert-level pad that's not as friendly on the street, and puts a LOT more wear on the rotors. It has a very non-linear heat/friction curve, and is known to be prone to lockups at low speeds because the speed/friction curve is also non-linear. The Galfer blacks are very linear and predictable. The Galfer greens are even nicer, but get mushy in the rain.

Replaced my stock pads at 14000 miles. The rear pad showed the most wear of the three. Now running EBC HH both front and rear and love them. Only takes one finger on the front brake to haul it down from speed. They do have a learning curve to adjust to added stopping power.

approaching 24k on my 2002 oem pads.

rear oem lost life at about 14k and replaced with ebc hh in the back - but i am a heavy commuter who drags the rear brake while splitting lanes :cool:

2 pair ebc hh on hold for the fronts, either this weekend or next - looking forward to it :grin:

I replaced all three sets of pads at about 15K miles. I used Galfer Blacks per Carlos' recommendation and like them.

One of my left front pads was worn down to the metal. The right side and rear had quite a bit of life left in them.

Good point Joe. I thought mine were OK until I actually pulled the pads. I was shocked to see the left front pad worn to the metal. It hadn't caused rotor damage yet, but it had to be close. :oops:

Warchild posted a thread several months ago describing similar pad wear on his bike. Thanks to him, I checked my pads and averted a more serious (and expensive) problem. Thanks again Dale. :grin:

Rotating pads is probably a bad idea. They break in with the inevitable grooving of the rotors. When you rotate, you decrease contact surface. The worst outcome of this would be overheating and warping.

No, I do NOT know for a fact it wil be a problem, but I do know for a fact that you do decrease contact surface area.

Sergio Galfer (of that Galfer group) runs a thread on another board relating to brakes. It is a great thread and he answers a lot of tough questions.

I can't recall the exact wording, but he basically says that swapping pads is bad, very bad. Especially the LF Outer pad that tends to wear unevenly. If you swap it, that uneven pad is only going to make minimal contact with the new side rotor.

just replaced (at 24k) my fronts.

front left pair was at the wear line, one of them (can't remember which) was significantly lower than the other.

Inserted ebc HH.... :shock: omg, what a difference once they bed in. don't be fooled if they feel soft and spongy at first, because they DO bed in and then grab!

btw, a comment on pushing the pistons back in to make room for the new pads - I took bike off front stand (kept on back stand), turned wheel full to the left to uncap the master on the rt handlebar.

beware that as you push back in the pistons(which i HAD to do), the brake fluid level will rise, and if you've topped it as you've worn your brakes, when you push the pistons back in, you may cause the master to over flow...

might be a 'no duh' for some, just thought i'd share :grin:

I purchased 3 sets of EBC on friday. Took out the toolbox on saterday mornig and HUH :shock: The brakes are fine! What the hell was I thinking?

Outer left side pad is worn at angle like many of you have stated.. but it still have 2-3 millimeters left ... so... fuck it. They are staying in there! I<ll return the pads and see if I change the bike next year for a new XX.

If not.. I'll go get some new rubber and brake pads.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Finally got to check mine saturday. Left outer worn at an angle, about 1mm left at the lower side. All other brakes are in good shape. Had an asphalt covered rock stuck to the front right brake pad, removed it, and no more bzzzzzzzz. :grin: I'd say I've got a good 1500 miles left on the pads. Going to order Galfer greens for the front and blacks for the back.