CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Tools

Speed99

I searched, but my patience threshold was exceeded when I didn't find what I was looking for on here within 3 mins.

Anyone have a recommendation for a chain tool?

I found this one and it seems decent enough...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....=646&Division=6

3 minutes huh? Is that all you got?

I have the same tool as your link and it works well. I think I got a better price from White Buffalo or Knee Draggers. If there was only $30 difference like the boys above have posted, I would have picked up the bigger one myself. After all, Bigger is Better!

The only thing I have learned about those tools is NOT to use them to pop out the rivet link until AFTER you have used a Dremel to first grind off the head.

I have the jumbo and like it. you do need to file the head of the link to push. Dremels cut the link faster.

My first try with the jumbo caused the link to spread too big and split. Glad I had ordered a spare link.

Take your time and measure often.

I have the jumbo and like it. you do need to file the head of the link to push. Dremels cut the link faster.

My first try with the jumbo caused the link to spread too big and split. Glad I had ordered a spare link.

Take your time and measure often.

You have the motiionpro jumbo? You don't have to file anything. Just push the pin out by turning the screw and pin pushes out like butter.

Best tool I ever purchased...even though I've used it more for friends than I have myself.

IPB Image

Yes the Jumbo will push the link without grinding. I have heard some people damaged the push pin doing it.

I keep a dremel and cutoff wheel in my toolbox. Makes the chain removal a quick job. The jumbo stays in with my bike trailer. Plan to keep that push pin fresh, just in case I ever need it on a trip.

I searched, but my patience threshold was exceeded when I didn't find what I was looking for on here within 3 mins.

Anyone have a recommendation for a chain tool?

I found this one and it seems decent enough...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....=646&Division=6

I have this one and used only once. It works just fine. But I don't think I paid that much, maybe $80 from JC Whitney.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I got a $200 gift certificate to the local shop for my b-day, so I used it towards The Motion Pro Jumbo Tool (I just love saying those words) and a new Chain for the Pasta Rocket.

FYI: I bought the Motion Pro Jumbo and this tool worked perfectly.

Absolutely ZERO pre-grinding required. I loaded up the break pin, attached it to the old chain and cranked away. It took a little muscle (nothing major though) and it pushed the pin right out.

The plate press worked perfectly. I'll admit, I really took my time and went slow so I wouldnt ruin the new link.

The Rivot accessory was equally brilliant.

All total, it took me about 1 hour to do the chain work, but that is only because it was my first time and I was very methodical. The next one will be a breeze. Great investment!

I'm glad the jumbo worked for you.

I got the first one you listed. I was a bit put off to find that it didn't work on removing 530 chains (that wasn't on the listing for the tool). However, a disc grinder sheared down two pins on the stock chain and I got the chain off. Normally, on replacement chains, I just use a power drill to shear off the heads of the master link, so it's all good.

Once I figured out how to use it, putting on a new master link was pure heaven compared to the struggles I use d to have in the past with C-clamps, steel blocks, and rivioting tools. :)

I opted against the jumbo tool because I wanted something lighter and more portable....just in case on a long trip where I wanted to pack it in with my tool bag.

MotionPro Jumbo

+1 plus when you bend the little pissant rivet driver pushing through thqat big 530 chain then you can get the replecement parts cheap and easy.