CBR1100XX.org Forum

Octane question

D2

Just put a pcIII usb with a full Yosi rs-3 system. Do I need to run a higher octane level now? I can't find anything that says i have to run higher than '87 octane. I have an '03 EFI model.

Thanks for the help

D2

Do I need to run a higher octane level now?

If it makes you feel any better than yes. :icon_razz:

But no. :icon_wink:

That's awsome, gas is high enough, I only asked because i see alot of guys running the higher octane. they must have somekind of ignition advance.

D2

That's awsome, gas is high enough, I only asked because i see alot of guys running the higher octane. they must have somekind of ignition advance.

D2

I have a PCIII usb/ Yosh slip-ons and I run the lowest(cheapest) gas available, haven't run into any problems so far, and yes its getting pricey to fill it up. :icon_smile:

I would definately say no on the FI model do to their anti-knock sensors. My '97 did ping on 87 octane gas when the weather was hot. Some other member say they didn't have a problem though (shrug)...

Higher octane fuel is good...stops knocking, "feels" like it has more power (although this might purely be psychological) and usually octane boost keeps your cylinder in much better condition due to the higher burn temps...I tend to put in a bottle of octane booster (3 point increase) approximately every 5 tankfulls..

Guest rockmeupto125

Just put a pcIII usb with a full Yosi rs-3 system. Do I need to run a higher octane level now? I can't find anything that says i have to run higher than '87 octane. I have an '03 EFI model.

Thanks for the help

D2

Stay with regular. There's no indication whatsoever for you to change grades if it ran well on it previously. There are reasons NOT to use higher octane, but no need to go into that here.

If you use a map that advances the ignition timing, you'll need to run at least 93. Otherwise, regular's fine.

Thanks for the help

D2

I was under the impression that the ignition timing is not a variable when using the PCIII.

I believe Ruhi was telling me this weekend that new PCIII's will be able to adjust timing on the XX

I never did see this option when doing my PCIII USB

Maybe he could chime in and explain.. I was amazed by his setup under the seat of his XX that I forgot half of what he said and drooled on his power supply setup he had.. Top notch looking by the way... I bought some more velcro to relocate my PC to where his is placed.. :icon_wink:

Higher octane fuel is good...stops knocking, "feels" like it has more power (although this might purely be psychological) and usually octane boost keeps your cylinder in much better condition due to the higher burn temps...I tend to put in a bottle of octane booster (3 point increase) approximately every 5 tankfulls..

Couple of questions. Does a higher octane fuel burn cooler than a lower octane fuel? I was told this by a car drag racer. Does running a higher octane keep your cylinders & heads cleaner from carbon deposits? The guy I bought my 2002 Bird from(original owner) only ran 92 octane(7000 miles) Am I wasting money by running 92 or 93? Thanks!

Couple of questions. Does a higher octane fuel burn cooler than a lower octane fuel? I was told this by a car drag racer. Does running a higher octane keep your cylinders & heads cleaner from carbon deposits? The guy I bought my 2002 Bird from(original owner) only ran 92 octane(7000 miles) Am I wasting money by running 92 or 93? Thanks!

I heard it runs hotter. From my karting days, a number of people metioned to me that higher octane burns at a higher temp, which burns up the deposits..I could be wrong though... :icon_confused:

Higher octane lights at a higher temp which helps with detonation/pre ignition. If you run higher octane and don't need it you may carbon up the engine because its not burning completely.

I have a 03 look at the emissions sticker, top left side sticker of the frame, says 91 RON or higher gasoline. Someone define RON. I have run super most of the time.

RON means Research Octane Number. Most of the posted octane numbers in the USA are reported as the average of RON and Motor Octane. It's a little lower than RON.

Wikipedia....

"...Different countries have some variation in what RON (Research Octane Number) is standard for gasoline, or petrol. In the UK, ordinary regular unleaded petrol is 91 RON (not commonly available), premium unleaded petrol is always 95 RON, and super unleaded is usually 97-98 RON. In the US, octane ratings in fuels can vary between 86-87 AKI (91-92 RON) for regular, through 89-90 (94-95) for mid-grade (European Premium), up to 90-94 (RON 95-99) for premium unleaded or E10 (Super in Europe)..."