CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gasatone...acetone in gas.

Pete in PA

A guy at work who races short track told me about it and after going blind on the internet for a couple hours I'm trying it both in my XX and my 99 Monte Carlo. So far idles have improved and I've noticed more throttle response/power in both.

Haven't emptied a tank yet so don't know about MPG yet.

I'm using 3oz. per 10 gallons.

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Also just Yahoo "acetone in gas" and go blind like me.

Opinions? Give it to me.

i have done it.. I have a complete listing of of the amount of acetone to add to however much gas you put in your car or bike..

I did get a few miles to the gallon extra.. but haven't done it again in the last 2 months... But I did have actual results..

I have my list broken down at home of the amount of acetone to mix in.. Its a very small amount per tank full...

Supposibly the acetone changes the surface tension of the gasoline and causes it to spray at a different pattern and burn easier and hotter...

I will tell you the plus side to do the test..

I had ran like 6 or 7 full tanks of gas with the acetone and that last time I filled up my mileage had dropped by 4 miles per gallon... I went looking into it and found my left rear brake shoe was draggin cause of a broken spring holding the shoes together.

So it is helpful to help show you signs off other problems by keeping tract of your fuel mileage..

Yes acetone is nasty stuff.. I have probably more exposure to it more than anyone on this site. Working with fiberglass there is nothing else that gets resin and hardner off like acetone. We would go through a 55 gal. barrell a week. :icon_eek: I didn't find out till later it can be absorbed in your skin and is very bad for your liver..

Its also 7 times more flamable than gas.. :icon_twisted:

I had read a lot about this and decided to give it a try in my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

After many tanks at different dosage levels (between 3 oz and 6 oz in 18 gallons)

and careful record keeping, I found that it made absolutely no discernable difference

in the gas mileage. I discontiued the experiment and never did try in in the XX.

FWIW and YMMV.

They actually just tested this on Mythbusters. It actually made the car

get WORSE gas mileage and less power!

I didn't notice any loss in power and the mileage stayed essentially the same

with or without the acetone. I expect different vehicles would have slightly

different results.

as a fuelr blender I can tell you what you get at the pump has all sorts of neat and nasty stuff in it but every gas statioon intown is elling the same gas. This cannot work in my book.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I did it in my lawn mower yesterday (4.5 horse briggs) and I hadn't mowed in 2 weeks (in the spring, in Indiana... not a good idea) and I'll say that, several places with thick, tall grass that it usually almost dies (when the grass is shorter, even), it just powered right through... Plus it had rained a little earlier in the day, so it was still a little wet down in there...

Rather un-scientific, but it's a push mower, so it's more of a close relationship than a car or bike that you're just sitting on twisting a throttle, and it's using almost 100% of it's avaliable power most of the time (or at least it was this time) so it's easier to see if it's got more or not...

Mike

I'm telling you guys, quit scewing around with all these weird additives and just use this one...

IPB Image

No shit, it works great for clearing out the injectors and improving mileage.

-Obby

This is what I used in my old turbo car: Toluene

Formula: http://www.disgruntledpunk.com/octane.htm

I also used Marvel mystery oil as the lubricant instead of trans oil and no mineral spirits.

I was able to turn the boost up with no problems and the plugs were always readable, unlike other octane boosters which would turn your plugs (insulators) rusty colored.

Dave

1. acetone is not an "additive" so to speak, and is not used as an "octane booster." If you read up on it, it's used to break down the surface tension of fuel, so it atomizes easier, and burns more fully. Or just read the thread you replied to... whatever...

2. clearning out injectors does not improve mileage. It says so on your little display in the car, but that's a mask... The computer sees better mileage because it is cutting back the fuel trim because more fuel is being put in per pulse, so it sees it's rich and cuts back the pulse width... This is why it looks like cleaning injectors on a closed loop vehicle gets you better mileage... Actually, on an open loop injections system like the 'bird, cleaning the injectors will get you WORSE mileage, because the computer doesn't know if it's rich or lean, it's just putting a specific pulse width per throttle opening/air pressure and fuel pressure, and doesn't know whether or not any fuel comes out of the injector at all, let alone how much comes out...

Mike

Well after running it in my car I get no increase in mileage (yet, I just don't drive the car much in the summer to know) but it runs better, more throttle response. Is probably cleaning the intake valves and injectors.

In the XX no change noted, but I did pull my carbs and remove my needle washers for more MPG and recently put on the 18 tooth sprocket so too many changes have been done at once.

I'll continue using it in the car for the cleaning benefits, stopped in the XX.

It's been claimed that acetone is in the various carb/FI cleaners but all I've read on the bottles is "petroleum distillits" So I don't know. At $5 for a quart, acetone is a cheap additive if it cleans.

My personal recommendation is to NOT do it!

Check out the other topic on the board (fuel pressure regulator - FPR) regarding gas additives to a BB. If your BB has the same FPR as Scooter and myself...you may be asking for trouble adding anything to the fuel. The rubber membrane in the FPR apparently cannot handle anything beyond pump gas and to introduce additives to fuel is hihgly likely to lead to failure.

Scooter says that Honda is now looking into this...and I am going to my local dealer tomorrow with the broken regulator and seeing what they say.

The Tom

Check out the other topic on the board (fuel pressure regulator - FPR) regarding gas additives to a BB. If your BB has the same FPR as Scooter and myself...you may be asking for trouble adding anything to the fuel. The rubber membrane in the FPR apparently cannot handle anything beyond pump gas and to introduce additives to fuel is hihgly likely to lead to failure.

Scooter says that Honda is now looking into this...and I am going to my local dealer tomorrow with the broken regulator and seeing what they say.

The Tom

Pete and I have carb'd bikes... no FPR... Just fuel lines to worry about, and those take quite a bit of abuse before going, and are cheap to replace...

Mike

Yes, the fuel lines are cheap to replace (in a garage). If they burst

when you're riding and spraying fuel on top of a hot engine, BOOM! Bye bye... :-)

The Tom

Pete and I have carb'd bikes... no FPR... Just fuel lines to worry about, and those take quite a bit of abuse before going, and are cheap to replace...

Mike

Yes, the fuel lines are cheap to replace (in a garage). If they burst

when you're riding and spraying fuel on top of a hot engine, BOOM! Bye bye... :-)

1/2 PSI, doesn't "burst" and "spray" but rather will start to leak over a long period of time... If you don't smell the gas in the garage for the couple months before it actually starts leaking liquid gas, then... well... you can't smell, neither can your family/roommates!

What that kind of stuff actually does in most cases is make rubber brittle, so it'll last for ever in the same position, but when you move it (lift the tank and take the fuel lines off the petcock for instance), then it will tear the end off where it's stuck to the petcock... most likely in your garage... Even then, it'll take a LONG time with as thick as fuel lines are, and the dosage of stuff that will actually eat them, to get to that point...

The problem with FPR's is as follows: The rubber diaphram in them is very thin and moves almost constantly, so it's VERY prone to things fucking it up...

Mike

Edit: and for that matter, there is no "boom" because gas doesn't explode unless it's encased in something and builds pressure... I've done the gas on a hot engine thing and it doesn't acutally burn, it just evaporates, especially like on the XX, where there's a "dish" on top of the engine for fuel to sit in... Unless it's a BUNCH of fuel VERY fast, it'll evaporate before it has a chance to touch the exhaust, especially with an agent in it that aids in evaporation...