CBR1100XX.org Forum

First gear making a gear whining noise?

Obby

My '01 is making a low gear whining noise that my '97 never makes. You know what I mean, that honda vrrrrr, grrrrr, sound that some import cars make. It completely goes away in the other gears (that I can tell). I just wanted to know if the FI bikes, with a slight change to the tranny from Honda to get rid of the clunking, make that noise normally (am i making sense???).

Thanks,

-Obby

My 99 doesn't have such a sound. I've ridden both 97's and 99's, and they seem to be the same as far as any transmisson sounds go. Maybe there is something different from the newer models, that I don't know.

My '01 does the same thing. In fact, I can hear it a bit in second as well if I'm on a short ride and didn't bother to put in ear plugs. That, BTW, is the solution. With the plugs in, I don't hear it. I'm pretty sure they all do that. Along with a little clutch basket rattle in neutral with the clutch engaged.

I might be whistling past the grave yard but I plan to igonore it.

My '01 does the same thing. In fact, I can hear it a bit in second as well if I'm on a short ride and didn't bother to put in ear plugs. That, BTW, is the solution. With the plugs in, I don't hear it. I'm pretty sure they all do that. Along with a little clutch basket rattle in neutral with the clutch engaged.

I might be whistling past the grave yard but I plan to igonore it.

I thought it might be normal. It doesn't seem to affect anything. I just wanted to make sure. I don't want to start pouring money into this bird until I know it's solid.

Thinking of a turbo. The kits are about 3k plus 1k to have it installed and tuned. This was one of the reasons I bought the '01 FI bird. I only want like an 8lb. boost, so nothing crazy. Just enough to get me down the highway :icon_whistle: .

• 4 weeks later...

Iv'e always had front sprocket noise, so I use ear plugs, it's more than any other bike Iv'e had but acceptable. When 1st gear noise rose around 4'000rpm it was time for a new CCT (14'000KM) the noise seem to come from the left lower side but the CCT is on the Right??? Noise went after changing and sounded like a new one. :icon_biggrin: