CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anybody have carb. problems?

bozmanf

Hello out there, I found a great deal on a 98 xx. I am a little concerned about problems with the carbs like them gumming up after storage. Anybody having problems with their carbs? Should i hold out for a FI xx?

Thanks

How great of a deal?

I'm not aware of any problems, but I am far from being a knowledge source on the Bird's mechanicals.

Buy Joel's Bird, and ride it cross country if you need to! I think you'll find the members around here take excellent care of their bikes, and thus would be solid buys.

There's this cool stuff called "Sta-bil" and "Sea-Foam" that stops any gunking up that may happen from sitting over the winter... Or you could just ride all winter... :icon_evilgrin:

Either way, no real problems with the carb'd bikes, and they even get a little better fuel economy than the FI bikes to boot! Although it's negated by having a gallon less fuel tank, so we have to get gas at the same time anyway...

The only bad thing I can say about carbs is, they're not as easy to get "perfect" as FI is, when you're doing aftermarket mods... Carbs and jet kits will get you close, but "perfect" they aren't...

Mike

I have a 97 with the Factory PRo Jet kit and an Akra exhaust.

I might get flammed for this, but I dont put anything in the tank during winter storage.

It sits winters and starts right up each spring.

I have never driven the FI XX, but I absolutely LOVE whe way mine runs.

Throttle response is smooth and strong and I dont experience any flat spots.

Wouldnt trade it for the world!

Nate in DC

I have a 97 with the Factory PRo Jet kit and an Akra exhaust.

I might get flammed for this, but I dont put anything in the tank during winter storage.

It sits winters and starts right up each spring.

I have never driven the FI XX, but I absolutely LOVE whe way mine runs.

Throttle response is smooth and strong and I dont experience any flat spots.

Wouldnt trade it for the world!

Nate in DC

Actually, I thought my '97 was a lot smoother than my '01 or '02... the FI just seems very snatchy to me. But what the hell do I know, I just ride.

Actually, I thought my '97 was a lot smoother than my '01 or '02... the FI just seems very snatchy to me. But what the hell do I know, I just ride.

I don't have a flat spot anywhere in the power delivery on my '97. From where I stand it doesn't get any better!!

If you got a good deal lined up on a carbed model, then get it. I know a couple guys here locally that have the carbed models and they don't have problems. There are a couple of us with the FI models, and no problems either. If you get a good deal on an FI model, then get it. If the better deal is with a carbed model, I'd go that way. Either way, you will be happy. Both are great running bikes and very smooth.

98 XX here. Akra pipe / Factory TI jet kit = 4 years & no problems. Store all winter, no Sea foam. Push starter button and ride. Still have original battery also. Love this bike.