CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mount Fiamm horn in stock location?

Pete in PA

I have also done this. Makes your bike sound like a Buick. I had a small issue of the horn rubbing the cowl when turning the bars, alittle bending of the bracket and its fine. I also took it off after a yr of using it and put my stocker back on.

the higher pitched BEEP BEEP caught more attention than the Buick sound.

make sure you test it first (maybe they'll even let ya test it right off a battery in the store). The first Fiamm I got from Advance Auto was a "Low-tone" horn that looked and sounded 'zactly like the stocker... Traded it for the bigger Fiamm air horn-lookin' one (likely the one you're looking at) and it was louder and deeper, and fit just fine...

Wish I could remember the part #, but basically it was of a sorta spiral design in black plastic, and mounted/wired just like the stocker.. Advance or Pep boys should have it..

make sure you test it first (maybe they'll even let ya test it right off a battery in the store). The first Fiamm I got from Advance Auto was a "Low-tone" horn that looked and sounded 'zactly like the stocker... Traded it for the bigger Fiamm air horn-lookin' one (likely the one you're looking at) and it was louder and deeper, and fit just fine...

Wish I could remember the part #, but basically it was of a sorta spiral design in black plastic, and mounted/wired just like the stocker.. Advance or Pep boys should have it..

That's the one I'm looking at.

I went to Advance Auto yesterday and almost bought it then asked the counter guy if it doesn't fit can I return it. He said no.

He then goes out with me to my bike and we both look at it and decide it won't fit. He coincidently has a Gold Wing.

Keep in mind I've got my forks set at 45mm above the tree per hyperpro.

Do you have it mounted so it points straight ahead?

Do you still think it will fit?

That's the one I'm looking at.

I went to Advance Auto yesterday and almost bought it then asked the counter guy if it doesn't fit can I return it. He said no.

He then goes out with me to my bike and we both look at it and decide it won't fit. He coincidently has a Gold Wing.

Keep in mind I've got my forks set at 45mm above the tree per hyperpro.

Do you have it mounted so it points straight ahead?

Do you still think it will fit?

Why the fook can't you return it?? I do that all the time at our Advanced Auto, they'll even let me take stuff out of the package and see if it fits! Crazy...

Anyway, yes, mine faces directly forward.... I believe I had to "re-route" the wires (which took all of 10 seconds), and it doesn't touch a thing lock-to-lock. Not sure about fitting with the Hyperpro set-up though - you need to go in when a jack-ass isn't working the counter, LOL! Next time you're in Clarion, PA, try their Advance Auto..

I had a pair of Hi/Lo Blasters (130dB) installed recently. I had Fiamms but they were not loud enough. :icon_eek:

One of them goes in front of the OEM but up in front of the header. If you tweak it patiently, you find the right spot w/o any touching to plastic. The second one is located on the left side, partially in front of the oil cooler. I also used a relay not to fry the horn button.

With much fabbing of the bracket I got it in there but it was hard to clear the brake hoses that cross the fender at full fork compression.

I'm fighting the urge to tweak the screw in the horn. It sounds decent but seems like there could be more sound to be had. Screw has sealant on it.

Do we need a relay? or can we just plug and play?

I have had these horns in my hand at my auto parts store and keep wanting to buy them , then decide against it..

I don't wanna fry my horn switch, but I have enough crap hooked up to my battery as it is...

Plug and play. Except for the bending and cutting of a longer mounting slot in the horn bracket.

I just stuck my head under the front of my 99 Monte Carlo. Same exact horn but there are 2, a high and low tone. Wish I could get another one mounted in my XX somewhere.

Do we need a relay? or can we just plug and play?

I have had these horns in my hand at my auto parts store and keep wanting to buy them , then decide against it..

I don't wanna fry my horn switch, but I have enough crap hooked up to my battery as it is...

Definitely do the relay, i believe the horn will be louder too, someone correct me if i'm wrong. Plus reduce risk of frying oem wiring (which is considerably thinner than wiring recommended by horn mfg). Hooking up relay is super simple. Horn leads go to 85 and 86 (doesn't matter which, plug'n'play), incoming hot lead hooks to 30 and outgoing hot lead to horns hook to 87.

Note: If running hot lead direct from battery (to relay 30), make sure the fuse is very close to battery to keep unfused wiring as short as possible. This is another huge advantage of auxiliary fuse block, all your wiring is protected.

Sounds like it's time for auxiliary fuse block and some barrier strips from Radio Shack. Blue Sea has some really nice fuse blocks for reasonable price plus some that have have grounding integrated.