CBR1100XX.org Forum

Paint oxidation question...

Squareman357

I picked up a decent little commuter car for my 17 year old to beat around in. It's in great shape mechanically, being owned by a mechanic who builds race cars and drove quite well during my test beat down, I mean test drive. However, the previous owner (mechanic bought it from an older lady) let the car sit in the driveway and the hood, drivers side front fender, and rear spoiler on the decklid have all gotten oxidized. Not rusted mind you, there is actually very little rust on the car, but the oxidation where the paint fades and has white spots. Is there some product that can restore SOME life to the paint and color (red) of the car? I want to start cheap ($10 to $50) before I decide to just let Earl Scheib or MAACO give it a $250 dollar twirl. Keep in mind I'm not really caring that much about the quality of the paint. We're talking teenagers here, so they won't notice either. They'll more notice the CD/MP3 player and new speakers I put in it for her LOL! Any of you car buffs recommend a product I can use to try and get some luster back or should I just throw in the towel and send it to MAACO or Schieb?

Square,

This oxidation, is it superficial or has the clearcoar been compromised? IF the color of the car is a metallic, I wouldn't be suprised if the clearcoat has been worn through by the sun. If it's a single stage paint, then use 3-M microfinishing compound followed by 3-m's glaze. You can find them at most any autobody supply store.

Square,

This oxidation, is it superficial or has the clearcoar been compromised? IF the color of the car is a metallic, I wouldn't be suprised if the clearcoat has been worn through by the sun. If it's a single stage paint, then use 3-M microfinishing compound followed by 3-m's glaze. You can find them at most any autobody supply store.

If there was clearcoat, it's compromised. The rest of the car is a gloss red, but not metallic. I'll put some research into those as well. Thanks!

You would know if there is a clearcoat and the paint is shot in spots. It seldomly comes off evenly, spotty most of the time. If you have nothing like that going on, it may be a single stage paint on the car. If that's the case, and the paint isn't too badly oxidixed and worn through, you'll be able to buff it right out.

Gotta pic of the bad areas?

If it is a clear coated finish, Take it to Maaco

Older model cars were painted with an enamal paint and if that is the case just wipe the finish with a paper towel and if paint colored oxidation comes off on the towel then it is an enamal finish and can be buffed out.

If it looks like a cancer under a hazy clear finish then forget it and repaint the thing.

As Mr Wacko said, If the clear coat is compromised then nothing but a repaint will help.

Most all newer cars are clear coated. In the last 5 years or so most everything is anyway.

It's an enamel paint for sure. The guy that sold it to me buffed the hell out of it, to the point that the rest of the car is shiny and glossy as hell, but the bad sections look like cancer LOL! Based on the information I've gotten here, I think a couple hundred dollars to Mr. Scheib or MAACO will be the solution. In the meantime she is loving her new found freedom sans bus rides LOL! Thanks guys.