CBR1100XX.org Forum

97 Carb/Jetting help

Weiner127

Hi

I have a 97 CBR1100XX. I got it with a Muzzy pipe and a Dynojet ket kit. The bike works real bad at cruising speed. Not just a flat spot or slight hesitation like I read about. Whack it a 4000 and it just sputters and backfires, pulls fine up top though. Anyway I tore into it tonight thinking maybe the jet kit was out of whack or installed incorrectly. It has the stock stage 1 kit installed correctly, stock airbox, KN filter, 140 mains, slide drilled, clips 3 down, 42 pilots and the air screws 3 turns out. From what i've read this combo should work good. I'm at a bit of a loss here so any specific set up info would be greatly appreciated, i can't seem to find specifics doing searches. It's a bitch to take it apart so I'd like to try to hit on a good combo right away.

Thanks for any help

Guest xxblackbirdguy
Hi

I have a 97 CBR1100XX. I got it with a Muzzy pipe and a Dynojet ket kit. The bike works real bad at cruising speed. Not just a flat spot or slight hesitation like I read about. Whack it a 4000 and it just sputters and backfires, pulls fine up top though. Anyway I tore into it tonight thinking maybe the jet kit was out of whack or installed incorrectly. It has the stock stage 1 kit installed correctly, stock airbox, KN filter, 140 mains, slide drilled, clips 3 down, 42 pilots and the air screws 3 turns out. From what i've read this combo should work good. I'm at a bit of a loss here so any specific set up info would be greatly appreciated, i can't seem to find specifics doing searches. It's a bitch to take it apart so I'd like to try to hit on a good combo right away.

Thanks for any help

Sounds to me like your carbs are out of sync if youve never done that leave it to someone who has its a time staking process to get it adjusted. If you turned the middle screw at all or the ones in between the outside carbs its messed. I had to readjust mine last year before race season 97 running high 9's

Well, I cleaned things up (they were'nt dirty), sync'd the carbs (they were real close anyway), checked the petcock diaphram (OK), set the pilot screws 2 turns out. Had to order the 45 pilots I want (be in end of week)

Unfortunately the weather is crappy here, calling for snow and freezing rain and below feezing temps for the next few days so I can't take it for a rip

I'm still open to specific carb set-up specifications if anyone has a good working one

Guest xxblackbirdguy

Hopefully that fixes your problem My carbs were 2.5 turns out too, thats the same has blackhawks. I dont know if his is a 97 or 98 Ive owned both. 98 was bone stock I had never got it in the 9's ever low and mid 10's mostly mid though. My 97 has pingle wheelie bars and strut, pingle air shifter, front end straped all the way down, dyna 2 step set at 8700, dyna shift light taged to auto shift the air shifter runing 15t sprocket on front and 53t sprocket in rear thats 16 sizes down, running a MT 7.0x26 flat slick and it hooks believe me my 60 fts are 1.52 to 1.48 runs 9.93 to 9.99 consistantly. I finish in 6th gear just about toped out. That might be due to high end clutch slipage needs and MRE lock up clutch and that might give me another 10th or so. I am adding NX Express 60hp nitrous to it right now with 38 Lectrons I hope it might go 8.90s with that should run 157ish through the quarter if it will hit the number. I have some pics on this sight from last year. I can say one thing it wont beat Hayabusas unless you hop it up a bunch. But it will give them a run for the money in the brackets. If you have any questions Ill be glad to help you get yours set up but it wont be much of a street ride no more handling dies with struts and straps but its a blast in a straight line.

David

Wow, I always wanted to ride a bike with bars. I think it would take a while to rap my mind around holding the throttle wide open and dropping the clutch. :icon_eek:

dyna shift light taged to auto shift the air shifter

How do I wire my shift light to trip my air shifter? Thanks.

Guest xxblackbirdguy

I take it youve wire it to a button or the horn button is where I wire mine who needs a horn to honk at the cops. Anyway if your running a dyna shift light box, the same wire that powers the light to turn on at whatever rpm which is a 12v positive heres how I wired mine run it also around to a 2 pole switch mines under the seat in the ledge were the tool tray is now comes the fun part the T pole solenoid thats where the power, ground, button or horn wire makes the airflow to the shift cylinder. The button must and do stress must be wired to send positive 12v to the T pole solenoid not make the ground for the soleniod you can hook it up both ways but in the shift light senario it has to be the 12v positve that is made thus when you hit the horn or button power flow to the solenoid and shifts the bike when your 2 pole switch is engaged every time the shift light comes on it will shift the air shifter. If its off then your button will do it when you push it dont freak out when your going down the track every time you manually push the button even if you do it before the shift light the light goes on. Also cut the test light lead on the dyna because it will try to shift the minute you turn on the bike thats its test feature for the bulb on the dyna shift light box. Let me explain a bit when you do your burn out in the waterbox if your redline or hit the shiftpoint the bike will switch to the next gear in auto mode so what I do is a second dry hop to clean the slick and make sure the bikes in first before you do that. Then make sure its in 1st again before you stage. If your running 2 step box or stutter box whatever you want to call it. If your micro switch in the clutch slips out and you hit shift point it will shift you into 2nd or 3rd if you back out and redline it again so make sure thae clutch is always engaged clear up to the launch. Then just lean forward and steer the bike if the bars are set right you can leave straight almost everytime unless you wheelspin then steer it with your ass left to right on the seat unless it way out of shape then back out and starighten then hit it again but you goose is cooked by then anyway more than likely. Hope that gave you some insight on the autoshift with the dyna shift light box.

Your fellow XX Buddy

David