CBR1100XX.org Forum

Travis' bike noise...

bartonmd

OK, so travis' bike started making this funny noise that I just heard on Sat morning... It's mostly on compression braking and is more of a rattley clicking than just a CCT clicking... Sounds almost like something wollowing, like a cam rattling around in its bearings or something... VERY strange... never heard anything like it... Only happens for short periods of time too, and still does it some reving in the garage with the clutch in...

Any ideas? Without taking it apart, I'm stumped...

Mike

If you want to check the reeds, just remove the tank, pull the airbox, and remove the pair reed covers, and then you can just remove the reeds. Mind the gasket around each reed (4 of them), don't tear it.

If you want to check the reeds, just remove the tank, pull the airbox, and remove the pair reed covers, and then you can just remove the reeds. Mind the gasket around each reed (4 of them), don't tear it.

ok found the reed location on ron ayers so i may check that later.

OK, so travis' bike started making this funny noise that I just heard on Sat morning... It's mostly on compression braking and is more of a rattley clicking than just a CCT clicking... Sounds almost like something wollowing, like a cam rattling around in its bearings or something... VERY strange... never heard anything like it... Only happens for short periods of time too, and still does it some reving in the garage with the clutch in...

Mike

I had a similar situation on my Blackbird at ~25,000 miles. The cam chain tensioner had fatigued to the point where it wasn't keeping the cam chain tight. It manifested itself as a sort of rattling sound. Replaced the cam chain tensioner at the right-rear of the engine and the noise went away. It's an easy fix, done from outside the engine.

Marv

Mike

I had a similar situation on my Blackbird at ~25,000 miles. The cam chain tensioner had fatigued to the point where it wasn't keeping the cam chain tight. It manifested itself as a sort of rattling sound. Replaced the cam chain tensioner at the right-rear of the engine and the noise went away. It's an easy fix, done from outside the engine.

Marv

Marv,

He replaced his CCT a short while ago, and this is not like any a cam chain noise I've ever heard..

Mike

havent had time to look at anything the last couple days. 2 guys at work took off for spring break so my hours went back up just when i was used to having none and playing all day. i'll try to look at it sunday if nothing comes up.

• 3 weeks later...

ok after finally gettin the bike running again it still has the tick...seemed to go away some after i rode for about 20-30 mins. still not sure what it is.....any more ideas???

ok removed the PAIR valve and pluged the tubed from the "reed covers"

bike STILL has the rattle......

ideas???

someone HELP ME! PWWWEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEEE :icon_wall: :icon_wall: :icon_doh: :icon_confused:

ok so i pulled the CCT agian and opened the cover that houses the cam chain, ignition advancer etc and that all looks fine. didnt look lose or anything.

started it back up and tried to listen to where the noise was and its sounds like its higher up in the engine, like near the valves or soemthing. soooooo i guess i'll be getting those checked sometime.

video.....you can kinda hear the sound right after i rev the motor

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=t4z79s

we got it today....pulled valve cover to check valves, pulled the reed completely out of the PAIR system and still rattled!

finally replaced my "new" cct with mikes old one and its was fine.

gonna order another new one

no service honda

Oh great !! So far after selling over 100 CCT's here and abroad there have been no problems(knock on wood)

If you need one I can get it out immediately Priority Mail for $34.50

latest model double green dot complete sealed OEM Kit